• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DC blocker for NAD T777 V3

Niklasmagnus

Hi, I want to try an DC blocker to check if the hum/buzz goes away from my speakers (most audible at the surrounds that are closest to MLP). The NAD receiver are rated continuously 7x80 watt = 560 watt so need a DC blocker that can pass through the currant.
Will the Audiolab DC blocker work? I like the separate box format.
Spec:
Peak Load :600VA
Audio Power Amplifier Compatibility<2x150W or <

Or should I try the ifi DC blocker, spec:
ZERO DC Block technologyBlocks incoming DC – up to 1,200mV
Voltage rating90 – 240 volts
Maximum current rating> 7A
Max amplifier power880W or VA on 220v
440W or VA on 110v
Continuous current rating

Thanks

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A DC blocker will have no effect on buzz from your speakers. It's used when the power transformer of the amp makes noise:

OP
N

Niklasmagnus

Yes, and the plan is to buy two ifi gnd defender, one for the receiver and one for the subwoofer. I can always return all of them if it’s not working.
But still not sure if the Audiolab dc blocker will reduce the NAD receiver capacity to deliver 560 watt continuously and some extra watt in peak? Or if I must go for the ifi dc blocker.

OP
N

Niklasmagnus

Is everything plugged into the same AC wall outlet?
The DC blocker will only reduce full power output by a few watts.
Yes, all equipment are in same master/slave branch outlet. But I’ve tried directly without the master/slave also and connected to the four plug wall outlet. Feed by 16A directly from house terminal/ fuse box.

Dundas

Forum Donor
Yes, all equipment are in same master/slave branch outlet. But I’ve tried directly without the master/slave also and connected to the four plug wall outlet. Feed by 16A directly from house terminal/ fuse box.
Have you tested with a cheater plug to see if lifting the ground eliminates the hum? For testing only, not a solution.

OP
N

Niklasmagnus

No, but the idea is to test with potential solution, ifi gnd defender. If not working I can return to store. Not sure we have cheater plugs I Sweden, if not diy. But either way, it’s a big risk to use them.

Dundas

Forum Donor
No, but the idea is to test with potential solution, ifi gnd defender. If not working I can return to store. Not sure we have cheater plugs I Sweden, if not diy. But either way, it’s a big risk to use them.
You are on an American forum. Might be a good idea to add your location to your profile.
Just get the iFi.

OP
N

Niklasmagnus

So I tried today first with the GND defender but no luck to reduce the buzz from the surrounds. Then I tried the DC blocker but no luck. Tried the combination but no luck. So I guess something in the NAD T777 are either broken or I have not figured out yet how to fix it. It should not buzz from the speakers.

One very positive thing is that I also tried the two products on my sub power amp which make ground loop noise and the GND defender works perfect. The reduction of noise was about 7dB. DC blocker didn’t do anything by itself and actually increased the noise in combination with the GND defender a few dB.

DC blocker was also tested if it adds anything extra to the experience but after switching back and forth a few times without hearing anything change I have decided to ship it back.

Top Bottom