• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop speakers: are you always aware the music is being produced by speakers, or can the speakers "disappear"

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From what ive read, every single sound in nature is its own speaker, 2 way can only emulate that, maybe multi speakers help with realism???
Each sound has its own source, but we get 3D information from only two ears.

D

Deleted member 21219

I have, for many years, listened with my speakers close enough that I can reach out and touch them without leaning. I cannot localize my speakers ... at least not with the music I have. It's not a matter of dynamics, it's a matter of the "phantom image", for lack of a better term.

If I had any setup, close or not, and I could localize the speakers, I'd send them back, sell them, swap them, throw them away or burn them. I'd go mono before I would tolerate a setup like that.

Jim

carlosatl

Each sound has its own source, but we get 3D information from only two ears.
Woah? you know what? You do have a point there! Our two ears do have a limit for Dimensional perception! And so do you think that 2 speakers are enough for such (natural)realism? or multiple?

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a killer topic!

We know that binaural recording played back on headphones can be uncanny with regard to sonic verisimilitude, so I'd say it can be done with only two sound sources, but that sticks us with headphones and specific types of recordings.

I think it is 'downhill from there' as we try to get that effect with a pair of stereo speakers. (I still love love two channel, as I enjoy the panorama is places out in front of me...I might simply be too accepting of what others think is inadequate.)

Then starts the debate of just how to best accomplish the effect in a real space! How many sources, etc?

Currently, I'd say Atmos is the top predator, so to speak, but I am a crazy optimist and think we will eventually get to a place with even better immersion....

Love this subject, and none of my post was meant as being disagreeable with anybody.

carlosatl

Well here is a comrad attempting to explore the weird complex psychoacoustic (Philosophical) topic we speak of here. :)

Last edited:

fragzone

Interesting thread. I have the Yamaha nx-n500 and some swan m200mkiii+s, the latter being another relatively popular 5 inch 2-way multimedia/PC speaker.

The nx-n500 have long been my desktop accompaniment and preferred option for listening for the exact reason you stated. I have always found desktop listening very much requires some real separation between the desk and speaker, at least 2 inches and of course generally tweeter and ear heigt. Perhaps this explains why the presentation falls to bits in the nearfield because they should be rock solid there. Forgive me while I rant about how underrated these little gems are.

There is a supreme elegance to these speakers and they sound as balanced and non-fatiguing as all my favourite headphones like the 6XX and an Oratory1990 Harman EQ'd Sundara. These unassuming speakers are stacked with high quality dacs for its array of digital inputs and using it directly with a PC via USB, driver free, is a breeze. Released in 2015 they were way ahead of their time. Controllable via musiccast, optical input, anaolgue input, wifi/dlna, airplay, bluetooth, 32 bit ESS sabre usb DAC etc... I was lucky to get a pair for half price in January of 2018 for $500 AUD, so even then they were considered a failed product and as far as I know there are still units floating around the place.

They share the body of the hs5 however both the tweeter and woofer are revised and from all accounts of higher quality. Tuning has been described as relaxed with a mid-range emphasis. Both units individually powered and bi-amped, most likely DSP'd too. It's a self contained hi-fi system that absolutely will introduce a veteran headphone enthusiast to the magic of 'hi-fi' or decent speakers, exactly what it was designed to do, alas it did not catch on. Overall, just a really cool little Yammy product built like little brick shit houses full of tech.

Top Bottom