• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac

Audiochap786

I have a Nad T778. I'm tempted to pay a professional to do Dirac setup for 2.0 stereo only setup.

I've read quiet a few posts online with people preferring Dirac being off Vs on.

Can any anyone give any input?

I just don't want to waste money

Thanks

BJL

Dirac is very easy to set up, and for a 2.0 system it should only take 5 or 10 minutes. Just follow the on screen instructions provided by your AVR, or if using the Desktop version, there is in-app help. Dirac has a detailed manual on its website if you want to delve into the details:

When I do a new calibration I make it even easier, I don't both with a mic stand, I just sit in the listening position, holding the microphone in the appropriate orientation, and take the measurements according to the diagram on screen. I've used a mic stand, it was a pain, and the result was no better or worse than holding the mic (much faster and easier).

I'm sure if you try it, you will find it easy, and if you have questions that you can't find answers, there are folks on this forum who will answer your questions.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dirac is very easy to set up, and for a 2.0 system it should only take 5 or 10 minutes. Just follow the on screen instructions provided by your AVR, or if using the Desktop version, there is in-app help. Dirac has a detailed manual on its website if you want to delve into the details:

When I do a new calibration I make it even easier, I don't both with a mic stand, I just sit in the listening position, holding the microphone in the appropriate orientation, and take the measurements according to the diagram on screen. I've used a mic stand, it was a pain, and the result was no better or worse than holding the mic (much faster and easier).

I'm sure if you try it, you will find it easy, and if you have questions that you can't find answers, there are folks on this forum who will answer your questions.
At low frequencies I wouldn’t think it would matter much if you held it. I would expect holding it to not work well for the higher frequencies if you EQ full range.

BJL

At low frequencies I wouldn’t think it would matter much if you held it. I would expect holding it to not work well for the higher frequencies if you EQ full range.
Yes I apply Dirac full range. I did not notice any particular difference, with/without the mic stand, but I also didn't save the settings to switch back and forth. It sounds fine hand held. What I did, more specifically, is I moved my listening chair back about one foot, held the mic from the bottom (a UMIK-2), and when taking the main listening position, held the mic a few inches in front.

It's not my original idea. Amir did this in his review of Audyssey. He had an additional comment on holding the mic by hand, (it is comment #76 in that thread, link below), pointing out that aside from the low frequencies not be influenced by your arm, "... being in the measurements is better because it reflects the true usage pattern of the room (as opposed to be empty with just the mic stand)." and in conclusion remarked "I have calibrated rooms countless times by hand and with every Room EQ system out there. I understand the underlying science and what the system needs to do. It is not a mistake that I quickly arrived at the right target curve and positive results."

So, after sweating various calibrations (as I changed gears) hassling with a mic stand, I took the above to heart, switched to holding the mic in my hand, have saved a lot of time and aggravation, and, at least from my perspective, worked perfectly. I mentioned, because I was initially put off from calibrating because of the mic stand annoyance, & I though perhaps the person who posted the initial question here may also found it off-putting.

This is the Audyssey review thread link: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I apply Dirac full range. I did not notice any particular difference, with/without the mic stand, but I also didn't save the settings to switch back and forth. It sounds fine hand held. What I did, more specifically, is I moved my listening chair back about one foot, held the mic from the bottom (a UMIK-2), and when taking the main listening position, held the mic a few inches in front.

It's not my original idea. Amir did this in his review of Audyssey. He had an additional comment on holding the mic by hand, (it is comment #76 in that thread, link below), pointing out that aside from the low frequencies not be influenced by your arm, "... being in the measurements is better because it reflects the true usage pattern of the room (as opposed to be empty with just the mic stand)." and in conclusion remarked "I have calibrated rooms countless times by hand and with every Room EQ system out there. I understand the underlying science and what the system needs to do. It is not a mistake that I quickly arrived at the right target curve and positive results."

So, after sweating various calibrations (as I changed gears) hassling with a mic stand, I took the above to heart, switched to holding the mic in my hand, have saved a lot of time and aggravation, and, at least from my perspective, worked perfectly. I mentioned, because I was initially put off from calibrating because of the mic stand annoyance, & I though perhaps the person who posted the initial question here may also found it off-putting.

This is the Audyssey review thread link: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/
Read through that thread and I see the point @amirm is making that they are spatially averaged anyway so in regards to frequency response small movements probably don’t matter. I do wonder about reflections picked up by the mic in regards to your body and if that matters to Dirac in regards to correction. I don’t ever do automatic room EQ anyway. I have never heard an automated EQ system that I preferred correction over 1khz (most of the time around 500hz or less. Above 500hz I use manual PEQ to fix things that need fixing and can a/b them to see if it improves anything.

droid2000

For the last 3 months I have been carefully measuring my system using REW and then implementing PEQ/convolution filters in Roon. I've tried lots of combinations - different target levels, different house curves, different everything. I enjoy the process of learning and improving the sound. It definitely sounds better after EQ. I can't imagine a situation where EQ wouldn't improve a system, at least on the low end.

Tonight I installed Dirac (free two weeks eval) and went through the whole process. Took about 20 minutes. Now I'm trying to figure out if it sounds better the my previous 3 months efforts.

The Dirac filters are more balanced. Makes you want to turn the music up for full appreciation.

My REW based PEQ's/convolution filters are more lively and dynamic. But more tiresome to listen to and i feel some sounds are missing.

Bottom line - I think I'm gonna buy Dirac.

Top Bottom