• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

Firefly00

Yeah, it seems OK if you can save the Eq internally.Analog in and out so Better SMSL m200 dac will be used.
Maybe even minidsp box 2x4 will work ? :

My streamer can't go above 24 bits 48khz. And this dsp is "only" 100 euros. What do you think of it ?
Anyway, i Will wait to receive my Aeon Closed. I Will try your EQs but If I'm fine Without EQ, i Will not spend more money:p

Thanks for your help !
I can’t remember what the differences were. Might be slightly less powerful software. Tbh, Aeons are great without any EQ

batfunk

I can’t remember what the differences were. Might be slightly less powerful software. Tbh, Aeons are great without any EQ
Apparently, with HD version, you just have one more digital inputs(tos link) one more kind of filter(FIR) and treatment to 96 khz.

Xii-Nyth

I mean... tbh they all kinda sound overdamped to me (here we go again lol) - but I suppose that's what you have to do to get the tuning right with this type of form factor. Although weirdly the Open sounds even more blunted to me (there's no scenario where I'd choose it over the Sundara 2020). With that said, I'm thinking I will put the Closed on my recommended list because for a closed-back planar, I don't think there's anything better at this price.
are you reffering to the rt open of openx?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it seems OK if you can save the Eq internally.Analog in and out so Better SMSL m200 dac will be used.
Maybe even minidsp box 2x4 will work ? :

My streamer can't go above 24 bits 48khz. And this dsp is "only" 100 euros. What do you think of it ?
Anyway, i Will wait to receive my Aeon Closed. I Will try your EQs but If I'm fine Without EQ, i Will not spend more money:p

Thanks for your help !
That miniDSP 2x4 is the exact one I use inbetween my TV and my JBL 308p speakers. It does indeed operate independantly once you've saved your EQ to it. It is limited to 2V input and 0.9V output - it won't output more than 0.9V so you'd have to ensure that you have enough power to drive whatever you're driving, and obviously if you use large EQ boosts then you require a larger negative preamp which effectively lowers this output again. It's a bit complicated to work out the plug-in that is most applicable for a use case when you first look into it, and there's a small learning curve to using their software.....so there's a little bit of a "barrier to entry" in terms of using miniDSP products, it will require you to research it a fair bit and to be quite technically minded. My miniDSP 2x4 has 12 bands of easily accessible parametric EQ, and then if you go down the "Advanced" path then this opens up to a maximum of 20 bands, but with the latter that is only if you know how to enter parametric EQ in biquad format (which means relying on REW to create your biquads and you would copy & paste those in).

batfunk

Thanks ! But apparently my SMSL M200 and P200 are 2 Vrms output and input, so 2x4 will not be enough...

We'll see;)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks ! But apparently my SMSL M200 and P200 are 2 Vrms output and input, so 2x4 will not be enough...

We'll see;)
You could definitely use the 2x4 miniDSP, you're just lower on power output (halving it), so that'll be your judgement call based on maybe some theoretical workings out of how much voltage output you need to your headphone amp in order to generate enough volume in your headphones. There's always things like "High Gain" mode in your headphone amplifier if it has it, but that increases the noise floor a bit (but probably still imperceptible). I wouldn't use the 2x4 miniDSP in my headphone chain though, unless it was my only option for DSP....it's not been measured on this site so is a bit of an unknown re how much it can reduce your SINAD (which again might only be important on a theoretical best practice level rather than being audible, but unknown until it's measured).

batfunk

Houhou ! My aeon Closed X landed in France yesterday, just à few days to wait(2 weeks in 2021,damn)
Good news for european union customers, no custom taxes(0% on Headphones) and only 2 euros of application fees(on line payement) from local transporter (it would have been 17.5 euros from DHL, which made Usa transport part, or Fedex).

475 dollars(20 %VAT included) , thank you Drop !

About parametric equalizer, i found a minidsp NanoDigi here on sale. Seems Great, no dac, only digital inputs and lnputs(no loss sinad) but still no news from the seller... NanoDigi is discontinued by Minidsp but still sold from à pair of online retailers.

Last edited:

aandres_gm

Houhou ! My aeon Closed X landed in France yesterday, just à few days to wait(2 weeks in 2021,damn)
Good news for european union customers, no custom taxes(0% on Headphones) and only 2 euros of application fees(on line payement) from local transporter (it would have been 17.5 euros from DHL, which made Usa transport part, or Fedex).

475 dollars, thank you Drop !

About parametric equalizer, i found a minidsp NanoDigi here on sale. Seems Great, no dac, only digital inputs and lnputs(no loss sinad) but still no news from the seller... NanoDigi is discontinued by Minidsp but still sold from à pair of online retailers.
I shipped mine within the US over two weeks ago and they haven't reached its destination. Fantastic work by FedEx lol

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

Apparently, with HD version, you just have one more digital inputs(tos link) one more kind of filter(FIR) and treatment to 96 khz.
I believe the HD version also has a more powerful processor than the standard 2x4, but it has been a while since I looked at them.

ririt

@Resolve & @TheHighContemplator, everyone else in this thread & especially owners of this headphone - I've created two new EQ's for this DCA Aeon X Closed headphone now that @Resolve has provided a measurement of a second sample. Find attached at the end of the post the EqualiserAPO config files for both EQ's.

Following see a comparison of the measurements of Sample#1 and Sample#2 compared along with the average curve created from the two (blue line):
View attachment 157855

Following are the two new EQ's I've created.

DCA Aeon X Closed - Sample #2 EQ:
This one is using just the Sample#2 measurement. Since the channel matching was good on this unit in contrast to the first sample that Resolve measured, then it's probably a little more likely this particular measurement is more representative of any given unit out there in the wild. I've kept Q values for the filters low and not been too crazy about matching the Harman Target with super close accuracy because this is an EQ based off just one measured unit, therefore for other units out there that will have this EQ applied it would make no sense & be counterproductive to use narrow sharp filters - the EQ needs to be more broad ranging, hence wider & lower Q filters.
Adjust the Gain(dB) of the two Shelf Filters to personal taste, one is for bass and the other for air/treble - at 105Hz & 11000Hz respectively.
View attachment 157854

DCA Aeon X Closed - Average of the two Samples EQ:
This is an EQ of the Average Curve (blue line in first pic of this post) of Sample#1 & Sample#2. So this EQ is assuming that both samples that Resolve has measured are representative of the spread of units that could be seen out there in the wild. I feel that Sample #2 is gonna be a more accurate reflection of headphones out there, due to it's good channel matching....sample#1 seemed a little faulty in my view.....having said that I'm providing this average EQ in case sample#1 was representative of what could be received by the customer.
Adjust the Gain(dB) of the two Shelf Filters to personal taste, one is for bass and the other for air/treble - at 105Hz & 11000Hz respectively.
View attachment 157857

Owners of this headphone should feel free to try both EQ's and it would be interesting to see what you owners think to both EQ's in terms of which one you think sounds best or most faithful to the Harman Curve (try to match the volumes/loudness first) - this might provide some elucidation into if sample#1 was somewhat faulty or not. If the EQ for Sample#2 is preferred (not the AverageEQ), then this starts to provide indications that Sample#2 is more representative of headphones out there than Sample#1. Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

EDIT: if you add boost to the Shelf Filters during your customisations then make sure you cover the extra boost by increasing the Negative Preamp (making it more negative), otherwise you will get digital clipping.
Robbo99999, since I am intending to use a Qudelix 5K to eq this headphone, can you please help me to adapt your EQ setup to a 10 bands equalizer? Thanks in advance of your support!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Robbo99999, since I am intending to use a Qudelix 5K to eq this headphone, can you please help me to adapt your EQ setup to a 10 bands equalizer? Thanks in advance of your support!
Leave out the 11k high shelf. But which of the eq are you looking at? One is 10 band anyway.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, congrats on your purchase there, this is a question that I answered a couple of pages back actually:

And as @Jimbob54 said, one of those EQ's uses only 10 bands anyway, but for the other one then my link above answers your question.

ririt

Hi, congrats on your purchase there, this is a question that I answered a couple of pages back actually:

And as @Jimbob54 said, one of those EQ's uses only 10 bands anyway, but for the other one then my link above answers your question.
Thanks all for your feedback. I went to fast to read your posts!

ririt

another quick question: which pre gain value are you recommending before EQ (e.g. -5dB)?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
another quick question: which pre gain value are you recommending before EQ (e.g. -5dB)?
The "Average of the two Samples EQ" uses a -5.4dB Negative Preamp. The "Sample #2 EQ" uses -6.1dB Negative Preamp.

For others using EqualiserAPO (you're using Qudelix), to save you typing in all the filters for either of the EQ's, then the EqualiserAPO files are found at the end of this post for both of the EQ's:

ririt

The "Average of the two Samples EQ" uses a -5.4dB Negative Preamp. The "Sample #2 EQ" uses -6.1dB Negative Preamp.

For others using EqualiserAPO (you're using Qudelix), to save you typing in all the filters for either of the EQ's, then the EqualiserAPO files are found at the end of this post for both of the EQ's:
Thanks !

Cardant

Ordered mine on the 22nd of October, it shipped on the 25th and I received it today (in France).
I forgot I had to pay VAT because of the recent regulations change about goods entering the UE, good thing I got it on "sale".
Overall I paid 456$ shipped (I had a 15$ discount from my Drop + THX Panda purchase earlier this year) so not too bad I guess.
I'll wait until they are burned in before commenting on how they sound.
They seem to be VERY VERY comfy which is nice (it was expected based on what I read online).
However, the pads are... well just look at the pictures and tell me what you guys think.
The thickness is pretty uneven and the pads seem to be poorly placed (especially visible near the connectors).
Is this just bad QC, what do you guys think I should do? Try to reseat the pads maybe or just ask Drop support? Did you guys have the same issue?
Thanks in advance for your answers :).
20211103_231309.jpg
20211103_231352.jpg
20211103_231445.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered mine on the 22nd of October, it shipped on the 25th and I received it today (in France).
I forgot I had to pay VAT because of the recent regulations change about goods entering the UE, good thing I got it on "sale".
Overall I paid 456$ shipped (I had a 15$ discount from my Drop + THX Panda purchase earlier this year) so not too bad I guess.
They seem to be VERY VERY comfy which is nice (it was expected based on what I read online).
However, the pads are... well just look at the pictures and tell me what you guys think.
The thickness is pretty uneven and the pads seem to be poorly placed (especially visible near the connectors).
Is this just bad QC, what do you guys think I should do? Try to reseat the pads maybe or just ask Drop support? Did you guys have the same issue?
View attachment 163078View attachment 163079View attachment 163080
That appears to a issue in the alignment of the stitching.

Firefly00

They are supposed to be thinner at the front. As to that stitching problem, I wouldn’t be bothered.
Bigger issue is the foam twisting, but that is basically cosmetic and doesn’t affect comfort

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

Mine are roughly the same as yours. There doesn't appear to be any significant channel imbalance that I can detect from using tones. Hopefully I can get my set measured before the end of the year.

Top Bottom