• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ebay find: MIAOLAI SA-1000 tube stage pre-amp w/ dual outputs

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

i literally LOL'ed at this one

also in black

its another one of those chinese design masterpieces slash frankensteins that ends up being completely bonkers

again, how do they do it for the money?

also translation:

Features:
- Enthusiastic Soviet 6H3N bile duct
- Classic 5532 operational amplifier chip
- Special design
- Highly restore the output

its cheap enough to try it out and see if you like the tube 'distort-o-meter' when you hook it up to your Aiyima A07 etc.

the styling also has real Fallout 1950s vibe like its a table wireless or geiger counter

JktHifi

It create connection to 2 amps that can sound at the same time.

Henry's Cat

Bought one of these recently and have been impressed with how it sounds. I use an SMSL M100 MkII D.A.C as the audio source and one pair of the SA1000 output sockets feeds a JVC SP-PW3000 subwoofer, the other pair vintage Quad II power amplifiers driving JVC SP-UX2000RGD full range micro speakers.

At some point I will try it with the same speakers but using my home-made single-ended-triode power amplifier.

sung

Bought this one and I am happy to report it works rather nice for the price. I can confirm that the volume pot is way too sensitive, very loud when it's set almost bottom low. I have Chromecast audio, so using my phone as volume remote control, and it is not a deal-breaker.

The volume pot works more sensibly with headphone out.

An upgrade to JAN GE5670 was suggested by a facebook user and it even appears to fix the volume pot issue.

Henry's Cat

Bought this one and I am happy to report it works rather nice for the price. I can confirm that the volume pot is way too sensitive, very loud when it's set almost bottom low. I have Chromecast audio, so using my phone as volume remote control, and it is not a deal-breaker.

The volume pot works more sensibly with headphone out.

An upgrade to JAN GE5670 was suggested by a facebook user and it even appears to fix the volume pot issue.
Yes, I can confirm the volume control doesn't give any control at all. I've ordered some JAN 5670 valves to try and see if that makes things better.

sung

I rolled in JAN 5670s - overall it sounded better with more tube-colour. Despite the FB posting, volume control is still not granular at low level. But I simply added a passive pre before or after this unit with the onboard volume pot at max. This way I have a volume control that actually worked. With the passive pre after this unit, VU meter actually danced to the music, but I found it was a bit noisier. When the passive pre before this unit, the sound was better to my ears, but 4 input selector and VU meter are rendered useless.

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
to me having a wacky volume control defeats the purpose of this unit... largely

if you need another vol. control preamp like the $50 units just reviewed by member PMA just upstream then what is the point?

unless you truly need a tube stage in there somewhere

sung

Fair point. In my case, I needed an input selector and a headphone out for before a power amp for which I already had a passive pre to control volume. This unit looked like a good fit for my needs, plus extra fun with tubes.

Henry's Cat

Installing 5670 valves does improve things but there is still not enough control at the lower end of the volume control, especially when the source is a D.A.C inputting 2V rms. Has anyone found a circuit diagram for this pre-amplifier?

Cal_Cobra

I have two of these, one with the bluetooth and the volume control works fine. I haven't rolled tubes yet, but am thinking about doing the 5670's. Are there other tubes that would work, or is the 5670 the only or best bang for the buck? Are the opamps replaceable?

I also have the model (same size/case) that has four RCA inputs with two RCA outputs (in gold no less haha), but they sent me the wrong power supply (EU model, need US). As some are swapping the stock PSU for an improved model, I was thinking about picking up a pair of these 12V 5A PSUs, inexpensive upgrade really: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804271424899.html

Top Bottom