• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Embedded Dirac Live in My AVR - Can I Bypass and Use the DL App?

cqlink

Pretty much like title says. I’m looking for an assist or two. I can’t get the DL app to work on my iPad and desktop computer.

I’ve had success running the program through my Onkyo TX-RZ50. Bass seemed stripped out. Adjusting the low frequency curve, speaker distance and even crossover freqs didn’t seem to make a difference so I went here and to other sites online to find help.

I started reviewing forum discussions and YouTube videos. First thing I noticed is the DL software interface is different on some of the tutorials. Most mention I should download the software to my computer. I did that but I couldn’t get the program to “find” my device/ AVR on the network.

Next, I tried downloading the app on my iPad. The app downloaded and I was also able to download the umic-1 file. When I attached the usb-C cable from the mic to iPad, I saw the prompt for the mic but that was the last time I saw it. I tried recording the speakers through the app but kept getting the “room too loud - couldn’t record” error message. The room is very quiet. Either the mic isn’t recording or the data is not recognized by the iPad/ iOS. I plowed into more online information and the only thing I could find is I may need to use an Apple usb-C cord(?) instead of plugging the mic cable (also usb-C) directly into my iPad.

Questions:

1) Is the DL download available online different than what I’m seeing in the RZ50?
2) How is master gain adjusted using the RZ50 DL program?
3) It’s been asked here before. Has anyone used an iPad to run DL?
4) Do I need the Apple usb-C cord to record the speaker tones using the umic-1?
5) Any insight as to why my desktop computer can’t find my AVR using the DL program?
6) If I use the umic-1 and the embedded DL in my AVR (DL program runs fine), can I get the same results? My research indicates the computer version offers more features and flexibility.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I couldn’t get the program to “find” my device/ AVR on the network.
I can't get my Dirac Live on my work Macbook to find the Onkyo TX-RZ50. I suspect it's firewalls blocking the port DL uses to connect to Onkyo. My personal Macbook has no issues. I would suggest try another computer, and make sure Onkyo is connected to your WiFi or Ethernet.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
First step is to just run Onkyo's own native AccuEQ software on the AVR...

That will give you an easy and simple start - and it also does a very decent job as well!

Dirac Live, is never run on the AVR... the AVR is used to run the filters calculated by Dirac Live, and is used as a network connected Mic preamp for the included measurement mic.

With regards to connecting to the AVR, a good first step would be to see whether you can connect to the AVR's Web interface... this will confirm that it has an IP address and is properly connected to your network. Hardwired connections to the AVR are always more reliably and less dependent on router/wifi configuration etc... as some people have their WiFi on a different LAN to their hardwired... the PC and the AVR need to be on the same subnet.

The Web interface also gives you easy access to a whole bunch of parameters tat are otherwise hard to get to... using the ciuser login/pwd.

OP
C

cqlink

First step is to just run Onkyo's own native AccuEQ software on the AVR...

That will give you an easy and simple start - and it also does a very decent job as well!

Dirac Live, is never run on the AVR... the AVR is used to run the filters calculated by Dirac Live, and is used as a network connected Mic preamp for the included measurement mic.

With regards to connecting to the AVR, a good first step would be to see whether you can connect to the AVR's Web interface... this will confirm that it has an IP address and is properly connected to your network. Hardwired connections to the AVR are always more reliably and less dependent on router/wifi configuration etc... as some people have their WiFi on a different LAN to their hardwired... the PC and the AVR need to be on the same subnet.

The Web interface also gives you easy access to a whole bunch of parameters tat are otherwise hard to get to... using the ciuser login/pwd.
Thank you sir. I’ve run AccuEQ and you’re right, it’s decent. I’ve a Ethernet cord running from my router to my old receiver (I couldn’t get it to connect. IP address good but didn’t seem to work). I’m going to try again to hard wire to RZ50 and take it from there.

Thanks for the input!

Top Bottom