• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End of an era - Lyric Hi-FI closing after 60+ years

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I have mixed feelings about Lyric's. Back in the days when I was a young, subjective audiophile, utterly unable to afford the wares Lyric carried, I got one of my very first "High End " Audio system from Lyric's at a very low price: a pair of Magnepan Tympany, Modulus 2 preamp and QuickSilver monos.. I built from there other , mostly, tube-based system with most of the gear sourced from Lyric's at hand-me down prices. The gears were in excellent shape and were worth at the time often triple what I got them from Lyric's...

Later while still in College, Mike Kay allowed me, that was the word to roam the store and listen to anything i wanted. Dream systems, in dream room included. I had often long and repeated listening session to really top flight exquipment, I was especially fond of the IRS 5, later replaced by the mighty Genesis One.. these were driven ... I would come with my LPs , clean them and put them on the Goldmund Reverence and listen to glorious music. Mike Kay if he had time, would come and join me in some of the sessions.. I liked the Man and my relationship with him was extremely cordial... I as saddened by his passing.

I remainded a mostly subjective, HEA-leaning audiophile for most of my 50+ years of being an audiophile. Aout 8 years ago, I came to understand and experience that the emperor had no clothes. Thus HEA stores, the entire HEA industry in general, in my honest opinions have mislead the public. Most (;))companies in the HEA, IMO are gouging their customers while not advancing by a nanometer the field of reproduction of sound in one's home.

So I wish the new owners of the Lyric's Hi-Fi name, "good luck", belatedly... and, I would remain indifferent, even hostile to their cause, if it continues as the old Lyrics's has done, to espouse HEA practices and philosophy.

Peace.

Top Bottom