• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EV electro voice

Andysu

Major Contributor
short circuit 1986

sc5.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have a very soft spot in my head heart for EV drivers and, to a slightly lesser extent, loudspeakers, having literally grown up with them.

I have far, far too many EV components "in stock" -- given that I've matured into more of an Altec fanboy for actual listening. ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
I have a very soft spot in my head heart for EV drivers and, to a slightly lesser extent, loudspeakers, having literally grown up with them.

I have far, far too many EV components "in stock" -- given that I've matured into more of an Altec fanboy for actual listening. ;)
Looks like an HF-206 horn tweeter in there.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got that tweeter's identity confused with a University model HF-206; they look similar.
I believe there was a connection between University and EV at one point.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I believe there was a connection between University and EV at one point.
Later, yes. Not in the early days of the T35 family.
The "Cobraflex" horn, e.g., started life as a University product, but ended up with EV branding.
Heck, I think they are still selling the Cobraflex! :eek:

The HF-206 was a University horn/driver. I drew a blank when @egellings invoked it, because I was thinking "EV". ;)

1690149023144.png

Das Ding an sich ;) Note the University Cobraflex, too. :)
source: https://www.alliedcatalogs.com/flipbook/1960_allied_radio_catalog.html

The EV T-35, T-35B, T-350, and TW-35 tweeters used a diffraction horn that EV was quite proud of back in the day.
Pretty sure the HF=206 had an exponential horn (EDIT: says "reciprocating flare" in the catalog scan I posted, doesn't it? ;) ).

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I know that quoting oneself is poor form ;) but... in response to my "EV still sell[ing] the Cobraflex" comment above: yup.

300-155_HR_0.default.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Later, yes. Not in the early days of the T35 family.
The "Cobraflex" horn, e.g., started life as a University product, but ended up with EV branding.
Heck, I think they are still selling the Cobraflex! :eek:

The HF-206 was a University horn/driver. I drew a blank when @egellings invoked it, because I was thinking "EV". ;)

View attachment 301037
Das Ding an sich ;) Note the University Cobraflex, too. :)
source: https://www.alliedcatalogs.com/flipbook/1960_allied_radio_catalog.html

The EV T-35, T-35B, T-350, and TW-35 tweeters used a diffraction horn that EV was quite proud of back in the day.
Pretty sure the HF=206 had an exponential horn (EDIT: says "reciprocating flare" in the catalog scan I posted, doesn't it? ;) ).
Hypersonic, huh. Yeah it looks vaguely exponential. And not cheap, that would be about $350 now.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Hypersonic, huh. Yeah it looks vaguely exponential. And not cheap, that would be about $350 now.
The horn itself may well be exponential, so, yeah, I was a bit sloppy in teasing that apart from the characteristics of the throat. Sorry.
That said, I am happy to spend some more forum bandwidth ;) on these tweeters.
Col. Paul W. Klipsch was quite enamored of them for reasons known only to him. In Klipsch's (metaphorical) hands, the T35 (known in Klipsch parlance as the "K-77") made a nasty, harsh name for itself. EV's crossovers tended to get better out of the same drivers, but I don't know why (maybe higher XO frequency? I don't know).

The Col. also either didn't understand (not likely) or didn't care (much more likely -- he was nothing if not an iconoclast! ;)) that the T35 was meant to be oriented with the long axis of the horn vertical to provide the best horizontal dispersion. Some of his loudspeakers oriented the T35 correctly, but most of them... did not.
There were some "vertical horn" Cornwalls, e.g.

post-58202-0-70660000-1438545726.jpg

(random internet image of a pair of mirror-imaged 'vertical Cornwalls')

My (long gone) 1974 Cornies, and indeed most of them using the EV tweeter and horn, had the MR and tweeter horns horizontal.
Derp. ;)

Pay no heed to the "damping" applied to the MR horn -- a vain attempt to calm that sucka down! :facepalm:
The only thing that really would improve the Cornwall involves an accelerant and a match. :eek:;):cool:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The horn itself may well be exponential, so, yeah, I was a bit sloppy in teasing that apart from the characteristics of the throat. Sorry.
That said, I am happy to spend some more forum bandwidth ;) on these tweeters.
Col. Paul W. Klipsch was quite enamored of them for reasons known only to him. In Klipsch's (metaphorical) hands, the T35 (known in Klipsch parlance as the "K-77") made a nasty, harsh name for itself. EV's crossovers tended to get better out of the same drivers, but I don't know why (maybe higher XO frequency? I don't know).

The Col. also either didn't understand (not likely) or didn't care (much more likely -- he was nothing if not an iconoclast! ;)) that the T35 was meant to be oriented with the long axis of the horn vertical to provide the best horizontal dispersion. Some of his loudspeakers oriented the T35 correctly, but most of them... did not.
There were some "vertical horn" Cornwalls, e.g.

post-58202-0-70660000-1438545726.jpg

(random internet image of a pair of mirror-imaged 'vertical Cornwalls')

My (long gone) 1974 Cornies, and indeed most of them using the EV tweeter and horn, had the MR and tweeter horns horizontal.
Derp. ;)

Pay no heed to the "damping" applied to the MR horn -- a vain attempt to calm that sucka down! :facepalm:
The only thing that really would improve the Cornwall involves an accelerant and a match. :eek:;):cool:
I recall the tweeters on the Sentry III were vertical, too. I think.

Edit: nevernind, I'm crazy.

Top Bottom