• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EverSolo Z8 DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 67 20.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 259 78.0%

• Total voters

JSmith

Master Contributor
Any other user reviews of this unit to share?

JSmith

multisport4me

Any other user reviews of this unit to share?

I just picked one up. It came with the latest firmware (v.52) loaded up. The USB input works perfectly with my Roon ROCK. The Coax SPDIF does not work well with any source or format. I hear music for 2-3 seconds and it goes silent. I might back rev firmware to v.42 where it appears they first fixed the SPDIF issues...but then, v.52 was also supposed to fix the SPDIF issues. So my review so far - potentially very cool, but so far, very wonky DAC that might be going back to Amazon.

Hawkmoon

I just picked one up. It came with the latest firmware (v.52) loaded up. The USB input works perfectly with my Roon ROCK. The Coax SPDIF does not work well with any source or format. I hear music for 2-3 seconds and it goes silent. I might back rev firmware to v.42 where it appears they first fixed the SPDIF issues...but then, v.52 was also supposed to fix the SPDIF issues. So my review so far - potentially very cool, but so far, very wonky DAC that might be going back to Amazon.

@multisport4me Sorry to hear about your SPDIF issues. I just got mine and have been testing it for a few days now. I have tried my Node 2i vs coaxial into the Z8 and it performs flawlessly - no drop outs. Same on USB connected to my Innuos Zen Mark 3 streamer. What are you connecting up to the Z8 via coaxial ? Mine is on the v52 fw which came installed. Tried different cable?

multisport4me

@multisport4me Sorry to hear about your SPDIF issues. I just got mine and have been testing it for a few days now. I have tried my Node 2i vs coaxial into the Z8 and it performs flawlessly - no drop outs. Same on USB connected to my Innuos Zen Mark 3 streamer. What are you connecting up to the Z8 via coaxial ? Mine is on the v52 fw which came installed. Tried different cable?
I was experimenting running coax SPDIF out of my PS Audio Nuwave as I don't like it as a DAC but as an A/D its a nice bit of kit. The cable works fine from the Nuwave into my Marantz AV10, which is likely where I'll end up keeping it. I just don't like the idea of buying something new like this and knowing an input is broken....whether I end up using it or not. I guess I can try a different cable - worth a shot.

multisport4me

I was experimenting running coax SPDIF out of my PS Audio Nuwave as I don't like it as a DAC but as an A/D its a nice bit of kit. The cable works fine from the Nuwave into my Marantz AV10, which is likely where I'll end up keeping it. I just don't like the idea of buying something new like this and knowing an input is broken....whether I end up using it or not. I guess I can try a different cable - worth a shot.

Well it turns out it is in fact the Nuwave. I found that it is also now doing it with my AV10. Tried to flash firmware, reset, etc. to no avail. Crap. I really liked using it as an A2D and being able to use any cartridge I wanted and any DAC I wanted for the most part.

Any phone A2D type devices out there with selectable gains, loading options, MM/MC support? I'm guessing PS Audio will charge me more to fix this thing vs. just buying something else. Ugh.

ThatGuyYouKnow

I saw mention that the EverSolo DMP-A6 will be under $1,000. Is that correct? Seems too good to be true for all it offers, assuming everything works as expected.

hermano

What is the difference? They look identical.
Screenshot_20230419_135525_Edge.jpg

multisport4me

Dunno what that will do to performance. I'm concerned about paying for something I don't need or will benefit from. (e.g. when Amir tests he tends to find factory input buffer/opamps measure better than any upgraded optional input buffer/opamps). If these are field upgradable I could always upgrade later if there is some empirical evidence proving there is a difference. I'm expecting this thing to perform very well aside from the "master" upgrades.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have asked Misue at Eversolo, what the differences if any are.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
See picture in my post above
I am just about to place an order with Eversolo, I haven’t been offered two versions of the DMP-A6 ( streamer).
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Misue was kind enough to get back to me,
’ This model is Eversolo DMP-A6 Master Edition, a limited version with gold-plated appearance and some different components.’
I don’t think any more of these ‘special editions’ will be made.
Keith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

multisport4me

:) They have promised me one.
They also said you'd be receiving a "regular" unit, not the "Master" edition....to which I'm happy to hear since the Master edition is very limited and soon to be unobtainium for us mere mortals.

I'm so excited to pair this up with Roon and have HDMI audio out. Toss is superb DAC performance (getting ahead of myself but these Sabre Pro boxes are hitting the ceiling consistently now) and this thing could really be a very nice value.

Top Bottom