• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Was browsing a thread on Black Friday deals on another forum and came across this: CE Generator

Ten percent off these magical "clean energy generators", which look delicious. Here's the description of the product (audiophool claims have been emboldened by me)

"Audio Magic's New CE Generators

Jerry Ramsey at Audio Magic has been developing novel products from innovative technologies for many years. Whether liquid conductor cables, or products ranging from Audio Fuses to Black Out Paint for circuit boards based on EMI/RFI absorbing materials, these products have been both successful, and to some extent, head-scratchers.

True to form, Jerry's latest creations, called CE Generators ("Clean Energy Generators" - $150 ea. or $399/3) are difficult to understand, but boy do they work.

A back story is in order: Jerry took a 2 week intensive course on health with a holistic doctor. One segment dealt with the deleterious effects of EMF on the body and a discussion of a circuit to reduce EMF. As Jerry commented,

"I went home and built a few prototypes, put them next to my bed side and slept with them, low and behold I had the best sleep of my life and my dreams were so vivid - I just felt good. I then decided to take the devices and place them on my preamp just to see if it made a difference and I've got to say it absolutely floored me how much better my system sounded."

Some further experimenting with shapes, sizes, and the "imprinting" of the 37 parts that constitute the final product lead to his final CE Generators.

Leaving aside all claims on the favorable health impact of these products, their impact on audio is undeniable. They come in sets of three because, once you place one on one of your components - I started on my preamp as Jerry did - you will want to try more. The effect is a clear lowering of the noise floor leading to better image separation, finer presentation of inner detail - you know the drill.

And more is better. Every component benefits as does the AC line conditioner, even the main electric panel. Anywhere there is an EMF field, these will have a positive effect.

Although this cookie-size product looks so very simple, we are told that building them is time-consuming and very messy. 24 hours of set up time and an hour on the imprinter.

Anyway, hearing is believing. Enthusiastically suggested for in-home audition through The Cable Company Library."

Pretty impressive for a donut.
Hearing things, and saying it's down to EMF and/or RFI is standard fare and happens from the big boys downwards. The thing is that it is difficult to measure, so any customer only judges it subjectively.

The fact that the blurb says "you know the drill" should really be enough to make the writer think about this. So many different fringe products, always exactly the same benefit!

Hearing is indeed about believing, but as always if a company makes a remarkable claim they should measure and verify it.

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
Hearing things, and saying it's down to EMF and/or RFI is standard fare and happens from the big boys downwards. The thing is that it is difficult to measure, so any customer only judges it subjectively.

The fact that the blurb says "you know the drill" should really be enough to make the writer think about this. So many different fringe products, always exactly the same benefit!

Hearing is indeed about believing, but as always if a company makes a remarkable claim they should measure and verify it.
The name of the company, '' Audio Magic '' is pretty straightforward, they definitely know their crowd. You know what? I think I'll start selling aluminium paper helmets for these guys and get rich, cos after all that's what these products are.

Attachments

• 1000_F_293651706_yWPUuo6vbVXYIRaS6GDsGj5GIJOc0RYo.jpg
    1000_F_293651706_yWPUuo6vbVXYIRaS6GDsGj5GIJOc0RYo.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 23

AdrianusG

The name of the company, '' Audio Magic '' is pretty straightforward, they definitely know their crowd. You know what? I think I'll start selling aluminium paper helmets for these guys and get rich, cos after all that's what these products are.
Yep, it seems just when you think you finally hit rock bottom of audio-phoolery, another even deeper layer of stupidity gets added

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The name of the company, '' Audio Magic '' is pretty straightforward, they definitely know their crowd.

Not only that. They also literally describe themselves and their clientele as 'alchemists', as if it's a good thing. If that's not a red flag, I don't know what is.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your off-the-rack AC cables aren't thick enough! The explanation of the "magic" sliding sound-changing part of the cable occurs pretty early in:

This channel is focused on cables like I have never seen. Here's a tour through a high end dealer, and the camera and graphics seem to treat the speakers etc as an afterthought, each system more an excuse to prowl around seeking and documenting whatever cables are being used in every system!

I think anyone can follow his/her bliss and approach this hobby however they want. Still, the cable emphasis thing still leaves me baffled. Which is one reason why I appreciate Amir is out there offering technical information as counterbalance what some audiophiles are telling their audience.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

... :facepalm:

AdrianusG

He starts this review with.

"A home audio component works the same way. Its purpose isn't to play back music accurately—however you might define that—but to provide enjoyment."

Huh ????, :oops:

And of course not a measurement in sight.

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is a genuinely challenging task - building a circuit that allows the user to dial NFB in or out.

I wondered about doing something similar years ago to measure and hear whether there is an optimum amount of NFB vs distortion (given that we appear to be able to tolerate distortion hundreds of times higher than the best DACs measure). But I realised that simply changing the gain through the feedback loop had so many other consequences (not least stability) that I decided not to bother. I do wonder whether people are actually hearing differences due to different levels of NFB or they are hearing the device misbehave because NFB is no longer adequate.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
on ViaBlue ROCKET Cable Lifters
lets see:
protect cables from resonance and vibration. ~ NOPE
the formation of capacitance between the cable and the floor can be avoided ~ never a problem
for a decoupling of the cable from the floor ~ just the opposite
to reduce vibrations within the cable ~ NOPE
to avoid the formation of capacitance between cable and floor ~ unmeasurable in any case.
VIABLUE™ cable lifters reduce:
Distortion and noise ~ NOPE
Coupling capacitance in cables ~ NOPE
Effects due to electric interference fields from floors and walls ~ NOPE

Galliardist

Major Contributor
He starts this review with.

"A home audio component works the same way. Its purpose isn't to play back music accurately—however you might define that—but to provide enjoyment."

Huh ????, :oops:

And of course not a measurement in sight.
A better formulation would be that the home audio component's job is as part of a system of components to play back music, and to maximise the benefit to the listener from the musicians' performance.

That still allows for components to be inaccurate, of course, but it puts us all in our places. This reviewer's bigger mistake is the one in the second half of that formulation, not the first - the component is not there to provide enjoyment.

Andysu

Major Contributor
373415991_1738117246648811_1554106832956366235_n.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So, there I was, leafing listlessly through the Internet (as one does)...

1701825756233.png

1701825816536.jpeg

... now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace according to thy word.
For now I have seen it effing all...

(with apologies to Simeon and Luke 2:28-32)

JimBean

View attachment 331937

View attachment 331938

This gives a whole new meaning to audio tweak. Would explain how all the word salad gets in the audiophile/audiophool accessories' descriptions.

Edit: After checking out the link, I find out it's Rochelle salt (?), not drugs. Which apparently has some magical properties concerning electricity? Still bizarre anyone believes any of this crap.

2nd edit: Hm, after googling and reading
wikipedia, I am slightly more informed about potassium sodium tartrate. Still pretty sure that putting in a baggy and wrapping it around cords/cables or putting it in/against outlets wouldn't have any real effects.

Last edited:

Karmacoma

Forum Donor

View attachment 331937

View attachment 331938

The whole thread is wild. I'm very tempted to create an account and come up with a new idea for them to experiment.

Beave

Major Contributor
This gives a whole new meaning to audio tweak. Would explain how all the word salad gets in the audiophile/audiophool accessories' descriptions.

Edit: After checking out the link, I find out it's Rochelle salt (?), not drugs. Which apparently has some magical properties concerning electricity? Still bizarre anyone believes any of this crap.

2nd edit: Hm, after googling and reading
wikipedia, I am slightly more informed about potassium sodium tartrate. Still pretty sure that putting in a baggy and wrapping it around cords/cables or putting it in/against outlets wouldn't have any real effects.

The claims would be more believable if it were crystal meth and some got out of the bag.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I believe that crystal phono cartridges (at least early on) used "Rochelle salt" as the piezoelectric transducer.
Looks like it based on the following reprint hosted @ radiomuseum.org

1701831692420.png

Crystal microphones (at least early ones) also use(d) Rochelle salt.

220px-K-Na-L-%28%2B%29-tartrate.png
(crystallized as the tetrahydrate)

This particular 'tweak' is an element of the "seems kind of logical if you don't think very hard about it" set, so to speak. :)
We're dealing with electricity and Rochelle salt is piezoelectric. Indeed, I think the phenomenon was discovered via Rochelle salt.
Now, why piezoelectric material would absorb EMI or EMF or whatever that poster was on about from AC mains... that's where credulity is stretched into unrecognizability. ;)

Hmmm... I wonder if hanging a couple of CTS (Motorola) piezoelectric tweeters in front of the breaker box would have the same effect? Maybe even work better? Would the precise style of the piezo tweeter matter in the magnitude or quality of the "effect"?
These are all testable hypotheses!
:D;):cool::facepalm:

1414263807.jpg

Top Bottom