• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I said DEALER margin ;) Obviously the people marketing it need to make their slice of the pie as well.

Oh ok..haha, true, they are making loads of $$$ by selling these magical cables.

Grumpish

Lol, Breitling sells a couple hundred thousand watches a year, I really doubt most own a plane. Their demographic is no different than any other luxury watch brand. This is on a similar line that people who own dive watches are actually divers.

A Breitling is what is on my wrist day to day (no, I don't own an aeroplane), one of the few watches I have not killed in a few months. But for diving - no way, I have dive computers that do a much better job and which won't spring a leak on a 100m trimix dive.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
What do you think about this experience report? :)

I'm thinking that since it's "tuning" and not something sold as audio products, it might belong in a different thread called 'extreme delusion'.

I'm also thinking that even Paul McGowan would feel embarrassed if he saw one of his product in a setting like that. And that says a LOT! :D

It deffinitely deserves a facepalm so massive that it wakes the giants from their thousand-year slumber.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello!
What do you think about this experience report? :)

what's he got on top there in the first pic? It looks like a half-cooked steak.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Lol, I got a notification for post #345, and because it contained the link to the BS site, my email client marked is as spam :D

aslan7

I dunno, I'd feel safer with a Timex Depth Gauge in almost all situations:
And if we need to go deeper in the water than 200m, I'd take a solar quartz Citizen Promaster over any Rolex:
If I were deeper in the water than 200m I wouldn't need a watch because I would have drowned. It's very peculiar that many dive watch enthusiasts, many of them Rolex Submariner owners, rarely even swim.

antennaguru

I like dive watches because when I'm cooking on the grill I need a handy accurate timer, and the elapsed time bezel on dive watches is absolutely perfect. I even saw Wolfgang Puck wearing a dive watch with an elapsed time bezel. That mine happens to be a Girard Perregaux is because I appreciate the quality and am not spending the money on something a lot more conspicuous like a G-Wagon.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I like dive watches because when I'm cooking on the grill I need a handy accurate timer, and the elapsed time bezel on dive watches is absolutely perfect. I even saw Wolfgang Puck wearing a dive watch with an elapsed time bezel. That mine happens to be a Girard Perregaux is because I appreciate the quality and am not spending the money on something a lot more conspicuous like a G-Wagon.
Hm... maybe the next thing in watches? Look out for the Rolex BBQMaster..

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you ever drive your car (and it could be a minivan and still count here) at its top speed? Do you ever corner your car at the limit of adhesion? Cars that have very high tops speeds or can sustain high g forces at the limit of adhesion are rarely taken to those limits. But they are fun to drive and fun to be seen in, even in legal street driving. We might buy that strictly because we appreciate the engineering and product design that makes it possible.

Do you play your sound system at just shy of clipping? (Well, you hope you don't.) You buy an amp with power output in the fantasy category a few decades ago. Your justification is that the very occasional really dynamic peak doesn't get compressed. Have you ever tested that notion? Does anyone really listen at the levels allowed by 350wpc amps beyond the occasional demonstration when the spouse is not home? Some do, of course, but many don't. Even so, it's part of the hobby to buy apparatus with a vast surplus of capability.

What about SINAD? Do we need electronics with a SINAD of over 120 dB? Amir sets his threshold at 115 dB, but I'd be willing to bet that even those with experience couldn't benefit from a threshold that high if tested blind. Yet people sell their 118-dB SINAD DAC to buy a 122-dB SINAD DAC. Why? Sheer appreciation for what it takes to attain that level of performance. That appreciation is part of the hobby.

Does this need justification? I think many here believe it does, as if we are buying stuff for use in a public agency and spending tax dollars. But I don't see how. What's the justification for buying any hobby apparatus? I want it and I have the money.

And so it is with dive watches. I do swim in my divers, but I don't dive and never have. I still like to have a few dive watches in my collection, for the sheer appreciation of the engineering required to make a mechanical watch with mechanical controls that penetrate the case that nevertheless withstands pressure far higher than anybody needs. That engineering is actually more interesting to me than a bit of electronics with a GPS clock receiver built into it, or a bit of electronics that includes a temperature equivalence table for the quartz crystal (aka "thermo-compensated").

It's just human nature that we justify buying hobby stuff when it's our hobby, and laugh at what we think as waste when people buy stuff for a hobby we don't share. A good bass boat for fishing costs $50,000, plus the truck to tow it. Yet lots of paid-by-the-hour folks manage to buy them. A good fly-fishing rod is thousands of dollars; a good shotgun likewise. We laugh when it's their hobby, but then try to justify when it's ours.

Rick "but it is true that Rolex collectors have lost their minds" Denney

aslan7

I never thought of that as a use. You could also use a chronograph which is what most people would do.

aslan7

Do you ever drive your car (and it could be a minivan and still count here) at its top speed? Do you ever corner your car at the limit of adhesion? Cars that have very high tops speeds or can sustain high g forces at the limit of adhesion are rarely taken to those limits. But they are fun to drive and fun to be seen in, even in legal street driving. We might buy that strictly because we appreciate the engineering and product design that makes it possible.

Do you play your sound system at just shy of clipping? (Well, you hope you don't.) You buy an amp with power output in the fantasy category a few decades ago. Your justification is that the very occasional really dynamic peak doesn't get compressed. Have you ever tested that notion? Does anyone really listen at the levels allowed by 350wpc amps beyond the occasional demonstration when the spouse is not home? Some do, of course, but many don't. Even so, it's part of the hobby to buy apparatus with a vast surplus of capability.

What about SINAD? Do we need electronics with a SINAD of over 120 dB? Amir sets his threshold at 115 dB, but I'd be willing to bet that even those with experience couldn't benefit from a threshold that high if tested blind. Yet people sell their 118-dB SINAD DAC to buy a 122-dB SINAD DAC. Why? Sheer appreciation for what it takes to attain that level of performance. That appreciation is part of the hobby.

Does this need justification? I think many here believe it does, as if we are buying stuff for use in a public agency and spending tax dollars. But I don't see how. What's the justification for buying any hobby apparatus? I want it and I have the money.

And so it is with dive watches. I do swim in my divers, but I don't dive and never have. I still like to have a few dive watches in my collection, for the sheer appreciation of the engineering required to make a mechanical watch with mechanical controls that penetrate the case that nevertheless withstands pressure far higher than anybody needs. That engineering is actually more interesting to me than a bit of electronics with a GPS clock receiver built into it, or a bit of electronics that includes a temperature equivalence table for the quartz crystal (aka "thermo-compensated").

It's just human nature that we justify buying hobby stuff when it's our hobby, and laugh at what we think as waste when people buy stuff for a hobby we don't share. A good bass boat for fishing costs $50,000, plus the truck to tow it. Yet lots of paid-by-the-hour folks manage to buy them. A good fly-fishing rod is thousands of dollars; a good shotgun likewise. We laugh when it's their hobby, but then try to justify when it's ours.

Rick "but it is true that Rolex collectors have lost their minds" Denney
I believe that part of the Submariner mystique is that the fictional James Bond supposedly had one. BBQing isn’t popular in the UK so he probably didn’t use it for that purpose.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe that part of the Submariner mystique is that the fictional James Bond supposedly had one. BBQing isn’t popular in the UK so he probably didn’t use it for that purpose.
That's exactly why. Connery wore one in Doctor No and that made Submariners, and to a lesser extent all Rolexes, cool forever.

BBQing has been popular in the UK since the 1980s though.

Top Bottom