• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal 826-D Alternatives

sawacs

Two years ago, I acquired the Focal 826-D speakers, but I've now embarked on a quest to explore alternatives. In hindsight, I realize I should have conducted more extensive research before making my purchase. The piercing highs of the Focals have become unbearable for me, prompting the need for a replacement.

Here is my current system:
X4700H
2 Focal 826-D's
Focal Center Channel
2 SVS Sb 2000 Pro's
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2 Amp

So far, I have narrowed the list down to Wharfedale Evo 4.4's and Polk R700's.

I would appreciate recommendations for speakers that offer a smoother high-end response, unlike the harsh highs of the Focal speakers. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Putter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Having just read about warnings about spending money changing speakers to fix EQ problems, I wonder if you've tried some simpler solutions like angling speakers pointing away to reduce treble or have you used the Audyssey calibration or the graphic EQ option. If you just want new speakers that's fine too.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With the Denon are you using the Audyssey MultEQ Editor App ($20 extra!) to help out some?

Jaxjax

Can the top Atmos driver be turned off .?
As suggested , I would try to EQ if you haven't already j

OP
S

sawacs

I am using the Audyssey app for calibration but I have not tried to implement any eq corrections using app. I need to learn a bit more before trying to edit things.

Regarding the speaker angling, I have tried that with no luck.

I will give the EQ a try first.. definitely cheaper than new speakers. Would you guys recommend something like a mini DSP to get started?

Thanks!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using the Audyssey app for calibration but I have not tried to implement any eq corrections using app. I need to learn a bit more before trying to edit things.

Regarding the speaker angling, I have tried that with no luck.

I will give the EQ a try first.. definitely cheaper than new speakers. Would you guys recommend something like a mini DSP to get started?

Thanks!
I'd learn to use the editor app for Audyssey first, you can likely get a house eq curve to improve on things now. Perhaps getting a measurement mic and REW to see what's going on as Audyssey doesn't show actual results. A miniDSP unit for sub integration might be a thought if you have more than two subs.

Penelinfi

Don't forget you could try to see if the room is contributing to high frequency reflections

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely try EQ first.

Focal speakers do tend to have a broad dispersion increase somewhere around 3-8khz, depending on the speaker. This can come of as detailed for some spaces/listeners/music, or harsh for others.

I haven't seen a spin for the 826-D, but Amir has measured the 816 towers:

index.php

While I measured the smaller 806 Bookshelves:

index.php

(These match anechoic measurements on soundstage network, FWIW)

Both of these speakers show a bump around 7-8 khz, so i think it's safe to say the same will be present in the 826 to at least some extent. Amir used a ~3d B, Q=1 filter at 8khz. I would try inputting something similar in Audyssey and adjusting from there.

Because this brightness on Focal speakers is usually a property of their directivity rather than the on-axis response, you may not be able to EQ it all the way to your liking without hurting some other part of tonality, but definitely give it a go. Many focal's actually have a slight downward slope, seemingly to mitigate this brightness. The Chora 806 seems to have this tile built-in, but 816 still looks pretty bright on axis, so you'll have to experiment a bit.

OP
S

sawacs

I ordered a UMIK-1 mic and downloaded the REW software. Will start by analyzing the room first then play around with the EQ. My concern is the Audyssey APP will correct too broad of a frequency range.

Also, I have stands arriving tomorrow for a pair of Wharfedale Evo 4.2's I am using in my office. Will probably place those in the living room next to the Focals and see how they perform. The Evo 4.2's are incredible speakers!

Cheers!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered a UMIK-1 mic and downloaded the REW software. Will start by analyzing the room first then play around with the EQ. My concern is the Audyssey APP will correct too broad of a frequency range.

Also, I have stands arriving tomorrow for a pair of Wharfedale Evo 4.2's I am using in my office. Will probably place those in the living room next to the Focals and see how they perform. The Evo 4.2's are incredible speakers!

Cheers!
You can try the Audyssey MultEQ-X software for finer adjustments, too.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't you have a treeble adjustment on the Denon?
It could quickly gives an idea about your issue.

Top Bottom