• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec W371A + The Ones : My quest for the Grail is over

Piatnik

Forum Donor
curious to what mode you set the W371 in? I think they have a few different operation modes
I setup everything by default, which is Complementary mode. I will eventually test the other modes, but my problem, like many of us, is time… o_O

I read somewhere that Complementary is probably the way to go. But I haven’t tested yet. Anyone else can share their experience on this subject?

YSC

Major Contributor
I setup everything by default, which is Complementary mode. I will eventually test the other modes, but my problem, like many of us, is time… o_O

I read somewhere that Complementary is probably the way to go. But I haven’t tested yet. Anyone else can share their experience on this subject?
nice, did you have a capture of the in room response estimated by GLM? I am interested in what the in room response looked like just after a quick GLM run

Piatnik

Forum Donor
nice, did you have a capture of the in room response estimated by GLM? I am interested in what the in room response looked like just after a quick GLM run
D883CD19-8E5C-4269-B6E4-FED6EB2BC8A7.jpeg

Piatnik

Forum Donor
nice from the in room photo it looks like there is not much if any acoustic treatment in place, and seems beside a ~4db high Q dip at 60hz it's not much more to be desired! (maybe a high shelve above 100hz to make a more bass presense?
I showed you the room corrected, but not the EQ I applied. I shelved -6dB above 100Hz to have more bass and I found the result to my taste!

here’s the graph and the only acoustic treatment I have,

2A8BE6A9-6A82-4396-A2F5-7F454E7498AA.jpeg

886DF5D9-9504-4853-94DE-D61D8A3CEB13.jpeg

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the node’s coax out into the AES inputs of the Genelecs and adjust volume via the Bluesound app? Sounds like a nice minimal setup!
The node’s volume can be controlled by the TV remote also. But really I prefer using the Genelec volume knob.

HairyEars

Pearljam you forgot to ask if he also worried about the metallic resonance when tapping on it, the bass furring sound through the ports, and the fact the driver's material is paper.
The W371 has mitigated, if not all together eliminated, the deficiencies of the slit design, thereby the resonance from the woofers becomes negligible.

In a way 83x1 + W371 = 8260, although the former combination is superior to the latter in every level. Pity it costs that much money to get to up there.

HairyEars

With the W371As, you won't have to buy stands.
But....if you're in a home environment, sitting on a sofa or a chair, you won't have the acoustic axis at ear level. That alone is suboptimal.
And tilting down the monitors is likely to cause reflections. The best approach is the place the Ones alongside the W371, on their own stands, with the acoustic axis at ear level. Oh, don't forget the 60 degree rule.

I’m not sure how this might play into anyone’s possible decision making process but some of these variables in consideration is what prompted me to make a trip to the Genelec Experience Center outside of Boston. My goal was to listen to different things in stereo versus immersive. While there, stereo with w371 versus immersive was the primary path differences. My preference ended up being that immersive offered a more enjoyable experience overall versus stereo.

Their setup for subs was one dedicated to the bed layer with another being tied to the height.

The w371 does an amazing job on the lower end. i would happily recommend that solution to anyone wanting to stay stereo while wanting a GLM managed bass solution without going multisub.
Hello and thanks for your great feedback, what could be nice is to be able to jump from using the w371 as dual sub in immersive GLM setup and be able to switch to use them as they are today for stereo uses. What is preventing Genelec to offer this ?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello and thanks for your great feedback, what could be nice is to be able to jump from using the w371 as dual sub in immersive GLM setup and be able to switch to use them as they are today for stereo uses. What is preventing Genelec to offer this ?
You can set up groups as needed for both.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is the chart X resolution is always that low? It’s very difficult to see anything less than a few dB. Besides, why have 40dB range on an EQ software?
B239AB35-2CBD-4748-8834-517282DFDD0F.png

The pointer gives you frequency and dB to one decimal place (upper left corner). Range is to be able to show measured response and GLM correction.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks so GLM will accept to run the w371 alone as subwoofer even not calibrating them with the one speaker ? It will be awesome. If you already tried, let me know thanks :)
Why would you use a cardioid speaker as a sub and not benefit from boundary amplification?

Why would you use a cardioid speaker as a sub and not benefit from boundary amplification?
I would like to install an Atmos setup but unfortunately my room is small to place both a pair of w371 + a pair of sub as the 7360A. It will huge to have only the w371 to do everything, both traditional stereo and Atmos listening :)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks so GLM will accept to run the w371 alone as subwoofer even not calibrating them with the one speaker ? It will be awesome. If you already tried, let me know thanks :)
As a sub? That’s not really its purpose. Better to get 7370 for that purpose. This is a woofer system. Meant to be the woofer for a 8351. It happens to have a sub built in.

For atmos you can use just one large sub for the LFE

Now I too am very confused about how GLM would handle that. One person at Genelec tech support says to add a sub others tell me you cannot align a sub to a w371. So I really am confused.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to install an Atmos setup but unfortunately my room is small to place both a pair of w371 + a pair of sub as the 7360A. It will huge to have only the w371 to do everything, both traditional stereo and Atmos listening :)
I have no idea what you said and what is its relevance to what I said.

kma100

As a sub? That’s not really its purpose. Better to get 7370 for that purpose. This is a woofer system. Meant to be the woofer for a 8351. It happens to have a sub built in.

For atmos you can use just one large sub for the LFE

Now I too am very confused about how GLM would handle that. One person at Genelec tech support says to add a sub others tell me you cannot align a sub to a w371. So I really am confused.
1673391491435.png

This is on their website.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 256337
This is on their website.
Good and that’s what I thought. It’s just some recent communication from someone at Genelec indicated I may need a sub in addition to it.

So there is some confusion around what I am hearing from them.

I do have some reasons why I am in contact with their support. Which I will not get imto until they have fully had a chance to address. However some of the videos I have will be surprising.

Remember for those who own this system you can solo any unit and test it to see how it sounds solo. You may or may not find some surprises when you do so.

Let’s see what R&D says about my findings.

YSC

Major Contributor
Good and that’s what I thought. It’s just some recent communication from someone at Genelec indicated I may need a sub in addition to it.

So there is some confusion around what I am hearing from them.

I do have some reasons why I am in contact with their support. Which I will not get imto until they have fully had a chance to address. However some of the videos I have will be surprising.

Remember for those who own this system you can solo any unit and test it to see how it sounds solo. You may or may not find some surprises when you do so.

Let’s see what R&D says about my findings.
maybe that communication is along the lines like getting the final drop of bass extension? like the 15-30hz range?

Top Bottom