• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

General design stupidity

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's incompetence, it may be more efficient to detect them by making everyone re-take the driving exam every 5-10 years. That won't detect the alcoholics, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to also require a basic medical exam to get a drivers license.
How is a common sense test made? Some drivers are lacking in that skill. The exams don't seem to be able to weed out the baddies. Then there are the stunting drivers speeding and racing around. That's now a charge in Canada called, "Stunting." It carries a serious penalty and confiscation of the vehicle for a period of time that is substantial. For some people charges are the only answer and if that is caused by a lack of common sense then so be it I think. It has been made apparent to me that for example German drivers have a much more comprehensive drivers test arrangement in comparison to Canadian standards. The same goes for using the cel tel when operating a motor vehicle; that should carry a serious punishment as it is worse in some ways to impaired driving in that the driver is not even looking at the road when operating the cel tel. When operating a motor vehicle I consider that a privilege and a serious operation and I drive accordingly. I'm not sure repeating a driver's examination is the answer as I've seen some low intelligence people that are great natural drivers and vice versa.

MRC01

Major Contributor
How is a common sense test made? ... I'm not sure repeating a driver's examination is the answer as I've seen some low intelligence people that are great natural drivers and vice versa.
Passing the driving exam doesn't require a 3-digit IQ. Just basic knowledge of the rules of the road which everyone should have, but many people forget. And retaking it on a recurring basis helps people keep up with changes to the law. The practical test - driving with the official on board - can help them detect common sense / judgment issues.

This would be a pain for many people, but it's a much more efficient and less expensive method than the infraction/misdemeanor/criminal justice system.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard a house explosion a block away from home at ~3am caused by the owners being out of the country and some sort of failure occurred. It was very loud and veryyy concussive. The house was spread allll over just like your picture. It's amazing the damage a high force per square inch can cause. It can rip apart human bodies too if it gets into the pressure range that causes that stuff.
I remember when I was living in Cincinnati, there was a house in Newport, Kentucky (just across the Ohio River) that exploded just like that. Turns out the owner was using it for an illicit fireworks factory. Nobody died, I don't think, but that was the sort of thing that happened in Newport which was a town that had quite the reputation for vice and corruption.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Passing the driving exam doesn't require a 3-digit IQ. Just basic knowledge of the rules of the road which everyone should have, but many people forget. And retaking it on a recurring basis helps people keep up with changes to the law. The practical test - driving with the official on board - can help them detect common sense / judgment issues.

This would be a pain for many people, but it's a much more efficient and less expensive method than the infraction/misdemeanor/criminal justice system.
Now that I think about it people move from province to province and that entails new and different rules of the road. Your suggestion of scheduled repeating driver's examinations would alleviate that situation and keep people in tune with the laws and regulations.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember when I was living in Cincinnati, there was a house in Newport, Kentucky (just across the Ohio River) that exploded just like that. Turns out the owner was using it for an illicit fireworks factory. Nobody died, I don't think, but that was the sort of thing that happened in Newport which was a town that had quite the reputation for vice and corruption.
A true bonehead operation. :D That's the sort of stuff that makes fireworks illegal in some areas of Canada. It's sometimes government over reach and causes people to make their DIY explosive stuff for kicks. Myself I think fireworks are fun and interesting if handled carefully and properly.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I remember when I was living in Cincinnati, there was a house in Newport, Kentucky (just across the Ohio River) that exploded just like that. Turns out the owner was using it for an illicit fireworks factory. ...
I thought you were going to say "illicit meth lab"... <sigh>

Katji

Major Contributor
I thought you were going to say "illicit meth lab"... <sigh>
Funny, when we were talking about the problems of stove tech, I thought of that Luddite sect that still uses horse carts and so on, that they'd say "We could've told you, that's the price you pay for technology." Some of them got into meth brewing. Probably be better off using more technology for it.

dfuller

Major Contributor
In a well designed stove, those spark igniters should be easy to clean, and to replace.
Well, we are in the "General Design Stupidity" thread - so of course they're not easy to replace. :D
Isn't that a bit dangerous in that the gas can be on and flooding the environment with flammable gas?
Technically, yes - but the trick is to never turn the gas on unless you're cooking and don't leave it unattended.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
How is a common sense test made? Some drivers are lacking in that skill. The exams don't seem to be able to weed out the baddies. Then there are the stunting drivers speeding and racing around. That's now a charge in Canada called, "Stunting." It carries a serious penalty and confiscation of the vehicle for a period of time that is substantial. For some people charges are the only answer and if that is caused by a lack of common sense then so be it I think. It has been made apparent to me that for example German drivers have a much more comprehensive drivers test arrangement in comparison to Canadian standards. The same goes for using the cel tel when operating a motor vehicle; that should carry a serious punishment as it is worse in some ways to impaired driving in that the driver is not even looking at the road when operating the cel tel. When operating a motor vehicle I consider that a privilege and a serious operation and I drive accordingly. I'm not sure repeating a driver's examination is the answer as I've seen some low intelligence people that are great natural drivers and vice versa.

It's called hooning here and repeat offenders have their cars crushed, along with fines, disqualifications etc.

Pretty funny to watch actually.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, we are in the "General Design Stupidity" thread - so of course they're not easy to replace. :D

Technically, yes - but the trick is to never turn the gas on unless you're cooking and don't leave it unattended.
That reminds me of the double triple diple checking that I do whenever I leave home; I check the water faucets and stove to ensure none are ON. One time I came home and the cold water was running in the bathroom for hours while I was away. I do not want a water spill flood! :D

Katji

Major Contributor
It's called hooning here and repeat offenders have their cars crushed, along with fines, disqualifications etc.
whew. Yes, I remembered earlier - sometimes think of it when they talk abut drunk driving on tv here, how they got tough on it in Australia, quite a while ago now. Here they just talk, about everything. Talk about making plans, sometimes make plans. There've been some "blitzes" recently, with some arrests, but then there are never jail sentences. Generally not much law enforcement, it seems like <10% of what would be considered normal.
Someone mentioned on local av forum, number of murders in 1st quarter of this year exceeded the number of Ukrainians killed. And not by a few. Imagine adding the road deaths to that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
whew. Yes, I remembered earlier - sometimes think of it when they talk abut drunk driving on tv here, how they got tough on it in Australia, quite a while ago now. Here they just talk, about everything. Talk about making plans, sometimes make plans. There've been some "blitzes" recently, with some arrests, but then there are never jail sentences. Generally not much law enforcement, it seems like <10% of what would be considered normal.
Someone mentioned on local av forum, number of murders in 1st quarter of this year exceeded the number of Ukrainians killed. And not by a few. Imagine adding the road deaths to that.
It's about the same here. With each subsequent impaired driving charge they get 3 to 6 months more suspension. There seems to be a maximum amount because I don't see a driver's license confiscation for more then maybe 18 months. Maybe things have changed in the recent years? Impaired drivers that kill somebody are given maybe a house arrest, conditional sentence or at worst 6 to 12 months incarceration and that's before time with good behavior etc. It seems that stunting charges carry more weight than impaired charges. I need to get up to date on these matters I suppose.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Picture of 5th Avenue New York city in 1900. Around those years horse drawn carriages killed about 200 people per year in NYC. Currently traffic deaths hover around 250 deaths per year. Of course absent the manure and horse urine in the streets.

NewYorkCity1900.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Picture of 5th Avenue New York city in 1900. Around those years horse drawn carriages killed about 200 people per year in NYC. Currently traffic deaths hover around 250 deaths per year. Of course absent the manure and horse urine in the streets.

NewYorkCity1900.jpg
If there's one thing I don't miss about farm life is the manure. It gets right into the skin and requires extensive scrubbing in a hot shower to get rid of the odor. :facepalm: I remember shoveling it into the pickup truck for hours and then driving the truck over to the garden and spreading it around from the bed of the truck and it's really heavy and juicy and then going out at night after and people would say they could smell it on me. I started using cologne after a hard day at the farm working with manure. :D YUCK!

MRC01

Major Contributor
Picture of 5th Avenue New York city in 1900. Around those years horse drawn carriages killed about 200 people per year in NYC. Currently traffic deaths hover around 250 deaths per year. Of course absent the manure and horse urine in the streets. ...
Yeah, anyone who thinks modern gas powered cars aren't clean needs to go back 100 years to appreciate what progress has been made. Nearly 30 years ago I was getting a Honda Civic smogged. After the test, the operator held his cigarette up to the probe and showed that it was more toxic than that car driving down the freeway.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, anyone who thinks modern gas powered cars aren't clean needs to go back 100 years to appreciate what progress has been made. Nearly 30 years ago I was getting a Honda Civic smogged. After the test, the operator held his cigarette up to the probe and showed that it was more toxic than that car driving down the freeway.
But compared to vaping it's still really shit.

Top Bottom