• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Veri

Master Contributor
It seems regular Chromecasts don't even support uncompressed audio, required for carrying MQA <Supported Media for Google Cast>. Chromecast Audio and other audio streamers support FLAC up to 96/24.
MQA is in a FLAC container. Not uncompressed audio.
Wow, uhh. Staggering misinformation. Of course the Chromecast supports PCM/raw uncompressed audio.
Secondly, as long as the data is passed on untouched and not resampled, it should be able to be unfolded by the Gustard.

TimF

Forum Donor
The AKM facility is toast, so to speak, and will be down for months and months. Will AKM contract to have their biggest selling and most important products manufactured by another manufacturer? Is the AKM 4499 among their most significant products? Is it reasonable to expect that AKM will within six months be making and shipping 4499 chips by using a contracted vendor? How quick can another location be set up to produce something like the 4499? I assume AKM had offsite safekeeping of the critical elements of 4499 design and production. Do corporations sometimes screw up on implementation of backup procedures and practices? I ordered the X16 from Shenzhenaudio a while back. It will replace a Matrix Mini-i-pro-2 DAC. If there is an improvement over the Mini-i I doubt I will hear it so I am not bothered by the delay. Chinese operations like Gustard and Topping are quite different than Sony, Harmon, or PSaudio. Maybe they are more like my dad's company, Fleetham Furniture at one time on Hennepin Avenue at Lake Street in Minneapolis. I'm sure most of you know of Fleetham Furniture.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, uhh. Staggering misinformation. Of course the Chromecast supports PCM/raw uncompressed audio.
Secondly, as long as the data is passed on untouched and not resampled, it should be able to be unfolded by the Gustard.

Did i say something wrong? AFAIK MQA is in a FLAC container. Not in .wav or some uncompressed format.

fabriciom

Can anyone comment on how to configure the unit with AES or ADAT?

Do I just plug the cable, set the input and forget?

I have an rme raydat and would like to use the unit with AES or ADAT.

How about the clocking?

Thanks.

P.S. Just downloaded the manual an its very light. Doesn't say anything about connecting the unit.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
It's not conflict. That some x16 devices are made doesn't mean the production line can not suspend. Improve your logical thinking please.
It's not conflict. That some x16 devices are made doesn't mean the production line can not suspend. Improve your logical thinking please.
No you improve your logical thinking,don't start with me,you need to watch your tone.

TimF

Forum Donor
Does your dad`s shop has review all over youtube?
Did you ever go on-line and look at the production facility for Grado, or for Schiit Audio. Gustard may have a big modern facility like that of Focus Audio but that is not likely since, I think, Gustard has nine products in its current line-up. I've done a tour of the Audio Research facility in its heyday in a suburb of Minneapolis which was organized like a Target store--oh so orderly and tidy. Target is a Minnesota company and its store's layout and orderliness reflect perfectly the Minnesota personality. Grado production facilities (squeezed into an apartment) reflect, maybe, New Yorkers personality. What do I know? Fleetham Furniture had about 3,000 or so square feet of space for show floor and office, and maybe 1,000 max square feet for warehouse. Maybe it's a bad analogy. Likely it is a bad analogy.

Veri

Master Contributor
Did i say something wrong? AFAIK MQA is in a FLAC container. Not in .wav or some uncompressed format.
I believe the container is .flac or whatever proprietary compression they use, but the device you're sending the audio data stream to will not be able to receive .flac but an uncompressed wave format. You can stream files to Chromecast though which is a different thing entirely, in which case again, as long as it's untouched/unresampled/bitperfect the MQA header will be in tact.

cbayschm

Forum Donor
I definitely check but if it doesn't work there is no reason for me to buy it. I would simply go with sh-8 / m200.

From what has been discussed here, I think it will not work. The Gustard X16 need the first unfolding to happen elsewhere for the optical input, since the optical input does not pass through the X216 IC which does the first unfolding for MQA and the ESS chip does the rendering only. So even if Chromecast audio sends the FLAC file undisturbed, you are missing the first unfold.

Piotr

From what has been discussed here, I think it will not work. The Gustard X16 need the first unfolding to happen elsewhere for the optical input, since the optical input does not pass through the X216 IC which does the first unfolding for MQA and the ESS chip does the rendering only. So even if Chromecast audio sends the FLAC file undisturbed, you are missing the first unfold.

I assume the first unfolding happens on Tidal, from where it goes unfolded to ChromcastA, then to Gustard X16 which renders it. Of course, there are two questions:

1) What does the ChromcastAudio do with the data stream. I hope the MQA header remains but since there is a built-in EQ, things may go wrong.
2) Is ChromcastAudio technically capable to accept unfolded MQA stream

Veri

Master Contributor
Not an issue, MQA is encoded into normal wave stream, there is no extra requirement.

kopczas

Do you guys think, that this unit has any indication when decoding mqa?

cbayschm

Forum Donor
I assume the first unfolding happens on Tidal, from where it goes unfolded to ChromcastA, then to Gustard X16 which renders it. Of course, there are two questions:

1) What does the ChromcastAudio do with the data stream. I hope the MQA header remains but since there is a built-in EQ, things may go wrong.

Ahhh, correct. I had forgotten you where streaming from Tidal. In that case, you have good possibilities it will work if points 1 and 2 work in your favor.

cbayschm

Forum Donor

From the pictures in ShenzhenAudio Site, it does:

mqa.png

nerone

so if you listen to Tidal master via CCA's optic any DAC is worth buying
such as Topping E30

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure they all have to have a very special light/indicator to let you know you've reached audio Nirvana, since there would be no other way to know. It's not like you'll hear a difference. ;)

Piotr

I have a low-end DAC built-in into my Marantz mcr603. If I buy Gustard I would gain much higher SINAD + the MQA (if this works) which overall should be audible, I hope. If not, the plan is to use the Gustard as a desktop DAC with my headphones. We'll see. If I have the unit I'd definitely share here the compatibility with Chromecast audio.

I value this compatibility a lot, as it allows all family members to stream their favorite music and radios from literally anywhere (phones, MacBooks, Pcs) to the system effortlessly and with decent quality.

Top Bottom