• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone amp you like better than RME ADI-2 DAC's amp?

Have you found a headphone amp you like better than the RME ADI-2 DAC's headphone amp?

• Yes (please specify)

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 75.4%

• Total voters

Migel83

For the money, you have to ask yourself what the Germans were thinking when they developed the menu navigation.
I was also very touched to read the manual where it only says what it can do, but how to set it up there is nothing in it.
I packed it up after phoning RME support and sent it back.
I would have loved to bring it back myself and tell them how rude it is of them.

I'll let the dac section stand, but sound-wise they have no idea what music is.
As soon as they neutered the sound, that's how they walk around in the world.
Every school concert sounds better than their amplifier section.
I found something better afterwards and there is something better.

ayane

Forum Donor
I use the SMSL SP200. The RME is absolutely fantastic, but there are times when I have to push the RME's amp close to its single-ended limit, and the SMSL helps by having more juice.

They're both audibly transparent and well-designed; it just boils down to power

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the money, you have to ask yourself what the Germans were thinking when they developed the menu navigation.
I was also very touched to read the manual where it only says what it can do, but how to set it up there is nothing in it.
I packed it up after phoning RME support and sent it back.
I would have loved to bring it back myself and tell them how rude it is of them.
Thereis some truth to it, but the manual of the ADI-2 PRO is in my view better than you describe it.
I'll let the dac section stand, but sound-wise they have no idea what music is.
As soon as they neutered the sound, that's how they walk around in the world.
Every school concert sounds better than their amplifier section.
I found something better afterwards and there is something better.
Uh huh.

AlephAlpha001

All so-called Audiophiles should be made to read the RME ADI-2 DAC fs manual every six months. The no BS This is How It Is Because Engineering Principles and it's more than good enough for you tone is 'Refreshing'. Almost as good bedtime reading as the HP measurement instrument catalogues of an earlier age.

ayane

Forum Donor
All so-called Audiophiles should be made to read the RME ADI-2 DAC fs manual every six months. The no BS This is How It Is Because Engineering Principles and it's more than good enough for you tone is 'Refreshing'. Almost as good bedtime reading as the HP measurement instrument catalogues of an earlier age.
It is a fantastic manual. Nwavguy's blog and Benchmark's application notes are also pretty fantastic layman-accessible resources for so-called audiophiles.

bkdc

Forum Donor
My only gripe about the ADI-2 is a small one—- I wish it had an integrated power supply. Otherwise it does what it’s supposed to do. Unless you have unusually difficult phones to drive you needn’t more.

ZzZzZ

Can rme adi-2 pro amp in balanced mode drive the hard planars like susvara ?

3125b

Major Contributor
In balanced mode it will deliver a maximum of 2.9W with a output impedance of 0.2 Ohms and a maximum output voltage of 19.5Vrms - so with low sensitivity headphones the output will be current rather than voltage limited.
That kind of power will push the Susvara to 108dBSPL wich I would call satisfactory without heavy EQ.
The high impedance and fairly low sensitivity LCD-4 would be close to 122dB wich plenty even with heavy EQ.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the SMSL SP200. The RME is absolutely fantastic, but there are times when I have to push the RME's amp close to its single-ended limit, and the SMSL helps by having more juice.

They're both audibly transparent and well-designed; it just boils down to power
You can use both at the same time, can't you? RME as DAC and PEQ feeding SP200?

ayane

Forum Donor

ZzZzZ

You can even use the headphone out of ADI-2 as line out and amplify with an external amp. Very few headphones need more power than what ADI-2 provides though.
I think it's called double amping and imho come with its own disadvantages like amplified noise floor. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I think it's called double amping and imho come with its own disadvantages like amplified noise floor. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.
This would be true if you amplify a noisy amplifier with another noisy amplifier
ADI-2 has very clean output in terms of noise and distortion, under theoretically audible levels.
Here's a snippet from the manual:
RME Manual snippet.png

Anyone interested in the device should read the user manual first. It tells you everything that this device can do (which is a lot!) and it's an introduction course in audio electronics engineering for consumers: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf
You'll also see what kind of people designed and built this device, after I read it became a fan and bought it immediately. To me this device represents excellence, state of the art from where there's not much to go up from. It's only 5 extra PEQ bands and a couple of watts of power away from perfection.

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This would be true if you amplify a noisy amplifier with another noisy amplifier
ADI-2 has very clean output in terms of noise and distortion, under theoretically audible levels.
Here's a snippet from the manual:
View attachment 199083
Anyone interested in the device should read the user manual first. It tells you everything that this device can do (which is a lot!) and it's an introduction course in audio electronics engineering for consumers: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf
You'll also see what kind of people designed and built this device, after I read it became a fan and bought it immediately. To me this device represents excellence, state of the art from where there's not much to go up from. It's only 5 extra PEQ bands and a couple of watts of power away from excellence.
I love mine

JimmyBuckets

I run the ADI-2 DAC with a few different headphones. One of which is the DT880 600ohm. I can say the only people that are running out of power with this amp stood next to the main stack at too many heavy metal concerts. If you need more power you already have hearing damage or are well on your way. I also have a JDS Labs Atom plus DAC and amp. Sounds very close. I feel there are differences but there is a strong possibility I just don't want to give in to the idea, I could have gotten similar results for $200. Also I have the version 2 with the AKM chip. I like holding on to it for nostalgia reasons. And she's a good looker which doesn't hurt. I personally won't buy any chi-fi. You don't need anything else. If you want something else that's a different story. Just don't expect a huge improvement. There's nothing wrong with buying a new piece of gear just because it's cool and you want it. You don't have to justify it because it quote unquote sounds better. It can just be rad for your collection.

Viennacalling

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can even use the headphone out of ADI-2 as line out and amplify with an external amp. Very few headphones need more power than what ADI-2 provides though.
Might hit issues with input sensitivity of the second amp though.

Top Bottom