• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones on the marktet matched to the Harman Target Curve

OP
M

Mile

You already played with Walet which is probably the easiest way to find it out for yourself.

I cannot adjust my KH at Wavelet. I don't know why it is not possible. Only the standard EQ works.

Blujackaal

The Sony HF755 which you probably could find for 5$ come very close to Harman target. Harman target ain't my thing. To much bass bost which smears low midrange and male vocals. Initially it does sound more plesent thanks to warmer signature but that's just deception. Then again that something is close to the Harman curve absolutely doesn't mean it will sound good.
You already played with Wavelet which is probably the easiest way to find it out for yourself.

Not just smearing male vocals, It can cause treble to sound dull/weak from masking effects. The ER4XR tuning seems to avoid much of those issues.

boselover61

Just me but i found the akg k371 which supposedly bass boosted barely have any bass at all. Low bass sure but theres surely a recessed mid bass on these headphone driving them with topping l30

OP
M

Mile

Is there a graphic somewhere on which the different target curves are compared? I would like to compare Harman Target and Diffusfield etc. to get a feeling for how they differ.

brachypelma44

Me neither, so I entered them by hand. 9 filters with freq/gain/Q is not too bad :)

I can zip and attach my preset file if you're interested in the Fidelio X2's correction curve.

Do you happen to know if the X2 and X2HR are the same in terms of EQ corrections? I have the X2 and just got the Monolith THX 788, which allows you to manually enter 5 parametric EQ settings. If I can go off of the X2HR's settings here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b09edinwg6tw5vi/Philips Fidelio X2HR.pdf?dl=0 that would be fairly easy, but if the X2 is not even close to the X2HR, it might do more harm than good. Thanks to anyone who can advise me on this.

Propheticus

@brachypelma44
Hearsay and other information far less interesting than factual measurements: The theory is they relaunched the X2 as X2HR with minor improvements in the headband and earpads. Going further into assumption land, some think it was done to get rid of the bad reputation the X2's that were produced by Gibson got. The original X2 was produced by both WOOX and Gibson, so your results could vary depending on which you received. The X2HR are no longer produced by Gibson.

So, probably they are very similar, although different earpads can influence the sound...

With 5 PEQ available and a set of Shelf filters (LF+HF) on the THX788 you might be better of using these Philips Fidelio X2HR (RME ADI-2).pdf (dropbox.com) settings where filters 7 and 8 are the shelves and 1 through 5 for the 5 PEQ slots.

Last edited:

Propheticus

It crosses over a little sound from left to right and vice versa. It mimics a situation where you listen to speakers; your left ear does not only hear the left speaker :) Crossfeed can sound more 'natural' and can be less fatiguing. Some (older) music recordings for instance are very strongly separated left-right, which becomes unpleasant to listen to using headphones while sounding ok using speakers.
Hint: next time give google a try. I don't mind explaining, but this falls in the realm of easy to find out yourself.

brachypelma44

@brachypelma44
Hearsay and other information far less interesting than factual measurements: The theory is they relaunched the X2 as X2HR with minor improvements in the headband and earpads. Going further into assumption land, some think it was done to get rid of the bad reputation the X2's that were produced by Gibson got. The original X2 was produced by both WOOX and Gibson, so your results could vary depending on which you received. The X2HR are no longer produced by Gibson.

So, probably they are very similar, although different earpads can influence the sound...

With 5 PEQ available and a set of Shelf filters (LF+HF) on the THX788 you might be better of using these Philips Fidelio X2HR (RME ADI-2).pdf (dropbox.com) settings where filters 7 and 8 are the shelves and 1 through 5 for the 5 PEQ slots.

So, there doesn't seem to be a way to set the shelf filters to a specific frequency. I just used the 5 PEQ settings. and put them in order, making the largest adjustments first. It's also limited to a + or - 6db adjustment, so on the one that was more than that, I took it to 6. It does sound better to my ears. Thanks again.

brachypelma44

Strange, the manual on page 13 made the impression the LF and HF shelves can be set between 60-200Hz and 5-12kHz respectively.

So, the way I read it, the shelf EQ doesn't adjust a specific frequency the way PEQ points do, but all frequencies below or above a certain point. So, if you set the LF gain at 150Hz, you're boosting or lowering every frequency below 150Hz. I'm not sure how useful that is beyond having a quick and dirty bass and treble knob, so to speak. Am I misunderstanding this?

Propheticus

You are not misunderstanding. But the Oratory PDF I shared uses shelves in combination with PEQ (peak) filters to reach the desired correction curve.
You're especially missing quite a significant bass boost below 105Hz of 5.5dB.
So to match their instruction set the LF shelf like band 7 and the HF shelf like band 8. Alternatively use HF shelf for the far bigger correction of band 5 and ignore band 8.
7 (LF shelf) becomes your 'bass knob' and 5 (HF shelf) your 'treble knob' you can set to taste. To me the bass boost sounds a bit excessive; the Fidelio X2 is already bass-strong.

Last edited:

brachypelma44

You are not misunderstood. But the Oratory PDF I shared uses shelves in combination with PEQ (peak) filters to reach the desired correction curve.
You're especially missing quite a significant bass boost below 105Hz of 5.5dB.
So to match their instruction set the LF shelf like band 7 and the HF shelf like band 8. Alternatively use HF shelf for the far bigger correction of band 5 and ignore band 8.
7 (LF shelf) becomes your 'bass knob' and 5 (HF shelf) your 'treble knob' you can set to taste. To me the bass boost sounds a bit excessive; the Fidelio X2 is already bass-strong.

Ah, OK. Thanks for the explanation. To be honest, the bass is already quite punchy, and I don't know that I would enjoy any more.

I'm looking forward to testing out/EQing the Sundara and 6XX on the Monolith 788 whenever the heck they arrive (mail is really slow at the moment, probably from holiday stress on the system.) I have no idea if I'll like one or both of them better than the X2.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There's an iem, the Tanchjim Cora, but it seems like it's not popular

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems like the Moondrop single dd series and the Tanchjim Oxygen are close too. The Kxxs and Oxygen have a dip between 5-10kHz of the source's measurements though

Add on: Audio Technica E40 with a similar dip, Fiio F5 and Creative Aurvana Trio

Last edited:
Top Bottom