• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(Help) Audible noise on Topping D90SE

ErVikingo

I added balanced outs from my D90 to my preamp. Now when I change tracks and the DAC is changing sampling rates (you see the new sample rate on the display) it makes a crackling noise.

This only happens with the XLR, when I switch to RCA I don’t experience the noise.

The DAC is making the noise but wonder if it is an issue with voltage out that causes the cracking sound.

I appreciate ideas/suggestions.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Can't be lack of PSU power,is externally powered.
I would try to uninstall/erase everything,make a clean install of drivers,etc.

What player do you use?

Lambda

Major Contributor
Interesting. this shows again that SINAD alone is not sufficient to chose a DAC.
On solution would be to upsampel everything in software before

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

Wiim Pro via coax digital to stopping

Noise occurs at 4v and 5v (no change)

Last edited:
OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

I wonder if there is a software update?

And, how to install it. I have only found what I think are instructions but they are in Chinese

TaxTime

Not sure if it's related, or how is it that it's problematic for some but not others.

BUT

I was playing with IanCanada boards (Fifo plus HDMI transmitter (LVDS)) a couple of years ago to make a Pi streamer that would output i2s via HDMI.

I was experiencing the same issue - a click/scratch noise whenever there was a change in the bit rate/sampling of the music.

I was able to boil it down to an issue where the circuit had to switch between the two clocks. They were high quality Crystek clocks obtained from DigiKey, so the quality of the clock was not the issue.

For example, if the sample rate switched from 44.1 to 176.4, there was no noise, but if it switched from 44.1 to 192, the switching noise would present itself (did not matter whether the switch was up or down).

I got bored with it, so didn't pursue it further as I had another use for the Pi at the time.

Top Bottom