• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Me Build My End Game System

StigErik

Forum Donor
My experience with Audyssey is that multipoint measurements resulted in worse results in all measurements points... Dirac might be better here, but I have limited experience with it.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did list the number of subs. I didn't mention the DSP because I didn't really need advice there. The Denon comes with Audyssey and I'll be purchasing Dirac Live Bass Control. I'm going to test both with music, movies, and games, and go with whichever one I think is best, perhaps with some measurements after. The reason I "thought about cables" is because... well, you kinda need them to get any sound at all! I wasn't asking about cables in a "recommend me some audiophile snake-oil" sense but in a "you know anything as good for cheaper" sense.

Anyway, I know how to use Audyssey and I'm getting two subs. I may end up getting three depending on the bass performance I get, but I didn't see a reason to jump to three or more without seeing how well two would do.

Treatment is a good mention. It's something I've been meaning to look into but don't really know where to start. I know there are some companies where you can give them your room/placement information and they can recommend what treatments to get, but I don't really know what fair prices are in this space compared to others in audio.
Yeh, didn't mean to come across as condesending, I just I wasn't sure where you were with the subwoofer understanding and I didn't see you mentioned dual subs. If you got dual subs then its game on! Yes, Audyssey will do a decent job and if you get Dirac live then that will tie the whole thing in even better for music listening. So it seems your are fully on the right track and will have a awesome set up.

Regarding treatment, just remember you don't have to go all out I only suggested this seeing that your going all out with expenditure you might as well add some thick traps here and there and possibly a ceiling trap.

OP
S

solrage

Yeh, didn't mean to come across as condesending, I just I wasn't sure where you were with the subwoofer understanding and I didn't see you mentioned dual subs. If you got dual subs then its game on! Yes, Audyssey will do a decent job and if you get Dirac live then that will tie the whole thing in even better for music listening. So it seems your are fully on the right track and will have a awesome set up.

Regarding treatment, just remember you don't have to go all out I only suggested this seeing that your going all out with expenditure you might as well add some thick traps here and there and possibly a ceiling trap.
No worries. I did put a "(2)" next to the subs in my OP to indicate I was getting duals. With my last decision I made the mistake of getting one giant sub instead of multiple smaller ones; but I bought that many years ago before I got into learning about audio science. Most all of my new system reflects what I've learned about measurements and the benefits of multiple subs.

Treatment is something I want to look into, though I'm usually not good at going into something and NOT going all out!

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No worries. I did put a "(2)" next to the subs in my OP to indicate I was getting duals. With my last decision I made the mistake of getting one giant sub instead of multiple smaller ones; but I bought that many years ago before I got into learning about audio science. Most all of my new system reflects what I've learned about measurements and the benefits of multiple subs.

Treatment is something I want to look into, though I'm usually not good at going into something and NOT going all out!
Its hard to gauge exactly where newcomers to the forum are at and it seems you have enough experience to guide yourself in the right direction.

I get you, I have two systems one wide dispersion 3 way with 4 subs and a tri amp(DSP) horn system with a 15 inch mid with dual subs and over 20 traps which also includes a sofa designed as a bass trap in mind. Lol.

OP
S

solrage

Its hard to gauge exactly where newcomers to the forum are at and it seems you have enough experience to guide yourself in the right direction.

I get you, I have two systems one wide dispersion 3 way with 4 subs and a tri amp(DSP) horn system with a 15 inch mid with dual subs and over 20 traps which also includes a sofa designed as a bass trap in mind. Lol.
Understandable. I lurk so much some times I forgot how little I've posted here. :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would get a trio of NCx500 for the LCR and keep the NC502MP for the surrounds.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Overall looks reasonable except for the possible downside of using different speakers for surrounds.

I did notice the magnetar player is >$4K ... if you can find cheaper alternatives you like, I'd definitely do that and put the $$ toward speaker upgrades.

OP
S

solrage

I would get a trio of NCx500 for the LCR and keep the NC502MP for the surrounds.
I'd considered that but the S5m only has 300w of power handling, which is closer to the NC502MP specs, and the 3-channel Buckeye NCx500 is backordered for 8-10 weeks.

OP
S

solrage

Overall looks reasonable except for the possible downside of using different speakers for surrounds.

I did notice the magnetar player is >$4K ... if you can find cheaper alternatives you like, I'd definitely do that and put the $$ toward speaker upgrades.
Different model. They have a UDP800 ($1600) and UDP900 ($3000). I was considering getting the former: https://www.magnetar-audio-us.store/ I may just end up getting the Sony universal player and putting the remainder towards speaker upgrades.

benanders

Anyway - it's good to have a plan to go there some time in the future. That's what I did. I got my preferred mains (L/R) first, then later on upgraded the center to the same speaker, and the surrounds last. I got them in pairs of course, and have one spare... For movies the center channel is the most important speaker, as most of the dialogue happens there.

@solrage to bump @StigErik ’s advice, have you considered simply compromising your #ch’s early on in this process, instead of speaker “integrity,” “similarity,” “pairability,” whatever adjective real or fabricated ( :) ) you might pin on said kit? Or perhaps just slumming it for a while with very budget, used satellites? Asking because…

If I were gearing up dual-duty kit for HT x Stereo playback, I’d start with “temp” models for all speakers but the L-R system “founders.” You have those. Could you keep con$ervative long enough to save up for a 3rd S7t (center Ch)? Could it fit in the necessary center Ch spot?

Some manufacturers make exceptional center Ch’s, but I’ve seen more impressive dual-duty setups that relied on L-C-R’s of the same model. I’m not of insider “know” on this, but I suspect the horizontal center ch config has as much to do with the lack of acoustically transparent screens and projectors to play on them when HT first became a common thing, as it does with acoustical benefits for the MLP. Sideways obviously fits under average-height screens better.

Disclaimer: I am biased. HT is fun, but since I cannot fit a 3rd example of my speaker in front of my tv, nor either of my L-R Stereo playback speakers to the sides of said tv, I keep happy with a simple 2.2 Ch “HT” setup. But a trio of full-rangers up front could be fun for proper HT.
Worst results I ever had for 5.1 was when trying a center Ch with a different tweeter (=diff. FR etc.) than L-R’s. Same manufacturer / designer, the issue boiled down to different performance that couldn’t be overcome in software.

OP
S

solrage

@solrage to bump @StigErik ’s advice, have you considered simply compromising your #ch’s early on in this process, instead of speaker “integrity,” “similarity,” “pairability,” whatever adjective real or fabricated ( :) ) you might pin on said kit? Or perhaps just slumming it for a while with very budget, used satellites? Asking because…

If I were gearing up dual-duty kit for HT x Stereo playback, I’d start with “temp” models for all speakers but the L-R system “founders.” You have those. Could you keep con$ervative long enough to save up for a 3rd S7t (center Ch)? Could it fit in the necessary center Ch spot?

Some manufacturers make exceptional center Ch’s, but I’ve seen more impressive dual-duty setups that relied on L-C-R’s of the same model. I’m not of insider “know” on this, but I suspect the horizontal center ch config has as much to do with the lack of acoustically transparent screens and projectors to play on them when HT first became a common thing, as it does with acoustical benefits for the MLP. Sideways obviously fits under average-height screens better.

Disclaimer: I am biased. HT is fun, but since I cannot fit a 3rd example of my speaker in front of my tv, nor either of my L-R Stereo playback speakers to the sides of said tv, I keep happy with a simple 2.2 Ch “HT” setup. But a trio of full-rangers up front could be fun for proper HT.
Worst results I ever had for 5.1 was when trying a center Ch with a different tweeter (=diff. FR etc.) than L-R’s. Same manufacturer / designer, the issue boiled down to different performance that couldn’t be overcome in software.
I'm not going with a traditional horizontal center. I'm getting the S5m. It's a S7t in monitor form with two (instead of 4) bass drivers, so it's a bit less sensitive with less power handling; but the center will be closer to my MLP so the distance should off-set the loss in sensitivity/power handling. Three S7ts wouldn't be feasible as the center would be in front of my screen, unfortunately. For multi-channel music I plan to put the S5m on a stand so its tweeter will be aligned (in height) with the S7t tweeters, so it should be a pretty seamless front end. I know horizontal centers are usually compromised in terms of sound quality because MTM designs almost always work better vertically.

Yeah, my last HT had a center with a slightly different tweeter from the same manufacturer. Same kind of tweeter, but different model. The difference was noticeable. The S7t and S5m share the same tweeter/mids and woofers. They only differ in the number of the woofers.

Top Bottom