• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm stuck w.r.t options to expand / improve my current 2.2 AV setup

er|κzvio1in

Right now I have this budget setup sourced from the used market over time:

TV as source (movies, series, TV, Spotify and radio paradise) -> PCM signal-> Toslink -> miniDSP nanodigi 2x8, then split:

1: coax -> CA CXA80 -> Triangle Titus EZ bookshelfs wall-mounted (HPF @ 70)

2: coax -> Inakustik DAC, then split:

2a RCA -> pioneer SW12 big sub 12" + 12" passive radiator (LPF @ 100)

2b RCA -> visonik 8" ported sub (LPF @ 100 and HPF @ 30)

The sound is great (to my non golden ears), now that it's all time aligned and EQd. I like tinkering with REW and experimenting with creating filters, listening and trying to diagnose and improve. I'm highly convinced of the superior results of correct application of subwoofers combined with appropriate EQ below the Schroeder frequency. I've also got 4 strategically placed absorber panels to deal with or living room which is basically a concrete bunker and has horrible acoustics.

Main issues:
- No LFE from movies and series because that's not downmixed to the stereo PCM signal
- the CXA80 has way too many options and features that I don't use, it's probably overpowered too, I did notice a significant improvement in sound coming from a vintage Marantz
- only 5 EQs per channel on the miniDSP
- dissimilar subs: so right now I've configured the Pioneer as main sub and the visonik as supporting sub at lower volume to fill nulls/valleys between 30-100 hz using REW's alignment tool and EQ, but no allpass filters at the moment
- no surround
- Toslink output from the LG OLED tv is a bit noisy. They've got a bad reputation, but it's good enough for now

Future expansion:
- the living room will be redecorated and there will be an option to add in wall rear speakers for surround, I am going to make provisions for it at least (route cables), but that will have a lot of consequences for the rest of the chain. There's also an option to add front height speakers, ceiling and side soeakers are not an option in our living room. Part of the redecorating will also involve adding a sizeable slat wall with thick absorption behind it.
- in due time I will get a bigger sub to replace the visonik 8"
- in due time I'll upgrade the bookshelfs, but I'mr pretty happy with them, especially the aesthetics
- there's not really an option to add a center channel, but I don't think I'll really need it.

Main question: how do I get to a surround system that will allow me to apply (manual) time alignment and room correction DSP that is also budget friendly? I've looked at Denon's x3800h and x4800h but they're expensive and I'm afraid they'll sound worse than my current cxa-80 and their DSP is automated instead of manual.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Main question: how do I get to a surround system that will allow me to apply (manual) time alignment and room correction DSP that is also budget friendly? I've looked at Denon's x3800h and x4800h but they're expensive and I'm afraid they'll sound worse than my current cxa-80 and their DSP is automated instead of manual.
miniDSP Flex HT/Flex HTx, but you'd have to work around the Flex's inability to decode popular surround sound formats.

There are a few threads on ASR which discuss this:

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
A used Emotica xmc1 just came up, I guess this is something for me. Right?
Emotiva XMC-1 Home Theater Surround Processor PrePro Coax Linearity Audio Measurements.png
:(

Ignoring this, the XMC-1 sounds pretty awesome, not gonna lie

OP
E

er|κzvio1in

View attachment 362069
:(

Ignoring this, the XMC-1 sounds pretty awesome, not gonna lie
After some googling I found a lot of users experiencing reliability and functionallity issues with the xmc1 for example issues with ARC. This has scared me off a bit. What's your experience?

OP
E

er|κzvio1in

miniDSP Flex HT/Flex HTx, but you'd have to work around the Flex's inability to decode popular surround sound formats.

There are a few threads on ASR which discuss this:
Thanks. That may just work by letting my TV perform the decoding and sending the signal as multichannel LPCM over eARC to the Flex HT(X).

The impact on my setup will then be that the flex replaces my nanodigi and I need an extra stereo amp for the surrounds which can be very simple and low power.

Top Bottom