• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Shape Our Upcoming CD Player for 2024

Tell

CD player digital processor ICs have been doing fade up/down for well over 30 years, but it is much faster. Done to prevent nasty transients.
Ah yeah that makes sense, I have some memory hearing some kind of fast "clicky noise" on some players (might have been a software MP3 player though), sounds a bit nasty. But I'd like more than just a very few millisec though, I have around 100-750ms in Foobar2000 (depending on action) and it's such a smooth and nice experience when playing/pausing or changing tracks :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Ah yeah that makes sense, I have some memory hearing some kind of fast "clicky noise" on some players (might have been a software MP3 player though), sounds a bit nasty. But I'd like more than just a very few millisec though, I have around 100-750ms in Foobar2000 (depending on action) and it's such a smooth and nice experience when playing/pausing or changing tracks :)

Some Sony and Pioneers back in the day had programmable fade in/outs, but they were in 1 second increments for tape dubbing. I agree, a nice rapid fade is nice when jumping tracks.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Im in the market for a "fun" CD player. Something with old school tactical feel and updated lifestyle design.

Must haves:
1. Track info display and full track controls that are prominent and easy to see/use
2. Gapless playback (ridiculous this has to be specified)
3. At least 1 digital out
4. Small form factor
5. Under $300 us

Nice to haves
1. Bluetooth transmission
3. Multiple digital outputs (optical and coax)
4. Top load, or something unique to set it apart from other black boxes.
5. Remote with meaningful CD functions such as direct track access

Im leaning towards top load because
1. Tray mechanisms are the first thing to go in cheap CD player.
2. It enhances the "ceremony" of playing a CD.
3. I have the space in my entertainment center to accommodate a top load

The shanling CD player ticks many of these boxes but is just too expensive.

Lots of unknown brands pumping out models for around $100. But the quality is highly suspect.

jruser

SACD capability. Let it send stereo DoP over optical and give it an HDMI port for bonus points to send 5.1 DSD

konst465

First off all, thank you Fosi for listening to user feedback.

In my opinion the perfect cd player would be in the form factor of the SMSL PL200 or the Shanling EC3. These devices cost upwards of 600 Euro, a lot of this price could be cut by removing BT capability, no dac and no headphone output. While I think SACD's are great and MQA-CD's look interesting it is too costly. A USB C port for CD ripping would be a plus. An external power supply is great for this form factor. The biggest point of contention seems to be tray or top loading, this issue should be debated in this thread.

So in conclusion we would have a solid CD-Transport with great feeling buttons and a clear small display with essential information.

Audioagnostic

Beside all suggestions a feature that I would appreciate.

wifi connection so you can operate the player with a smartphone. Connection to a public cd database allowing recognition of the cd that is being played. This would allow display of the full playing list on your phone. Connection to allmusic or wikipedia to read up on the artist and cd.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Low jitter
Quiet mechanics
Remote
No large footprint

are a must. For me it doesn't need to have a DAC, I'd connect through optical or more likely coaxial anyway as the TV already sends optical signal to the DAC..

Last edited:

boxerfan88

How about consider producing a high quality CDP+Streamer combo product? For example, DMP-A8 quality streamer plus a high quality CDP mechanism built in.

mags65

Forum Donor
To expand on @etimal 's take.

What makes a CD Player is not that it is playing CDs. A lot of devices do. Portable players do it very poorly.

What makes a CD Player is its use of the features allowed by the medium.

Which is exactly what most disc players on the market right now do not offer since it starts with a full informative display.
The japanese brands dropped the ball years ago. Every single recent asian effort missed the point or showed a clear misunderstanding of record playing as an activity.

CD did not invent playing music, but it brought a way to do it better.
A real CD player is not living in the same dimension than a DVD player.
Maybe one has to experience it to understand the extend of this laconic remark.

The most defining features for a real CD player are:
  • Direct Access to each track (meaning a dial pad!).
  • Visualisation of the totality of the tracks available on the disc with an icon/number for each, on a indented line or a grid (meaning an info screen).
  • Time and timing information in every possible situation : track, disc, sequence currently playing, elapsed/remaining.
  • Custom sequencing of the tracks (meaning a program mode).
  • Random Playing (meaning a random mode).
  • Extract playing (meaning a scan mode).
  • Repeat of selection, even within the random play mode that should support repeat too.
  • A-B repeat of a section within any portion of the record.
It includes the legacy features :
  • Quiet operation.
  • Direct play from closing of the lid/tray/etc.
  • That funny eject button (well ... it was fun in 1982-1984 ! Just search : Hitachi DA-1000)
  • GAPLESS AUDIO PLAYING ... since it's not even a given anymore!
The only "modern" features truly needed :
  • A great internal DAC/Headphone amp combo.
  • Dual physical digital out (Optical and coaxial).
  • Bit perfect digital Out (not just the internally produced upsampled then downsampled stream).
  • CDR/CDRW and FLAC play
  • 12v trigger since it's becoming a standard.
Having a CD Player doing DAC duties is neat but to add peripherical complexity and cost does not make it a better player; that's an orthogonal feature.

Today's Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer/Marantz/Tascam models do not bring even half of this feature set list that was a given on most of their own mid level players 30 years ago, and there were more to be had : digital volume, pitch control, fader, peek volume locator, etc.
Nowadays the portable gadgets we see online do not bring much more fonctionality than a $80 blue-ray player with an optical digital out. A point which does not erase the fetishist lust a MoonDrop DreamDisc can induce...

+1

Top Bottom