• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi Res music

Musichead

Hi Everyone

Would like your opinion on what do you prefer - Tidal… Qobuz…Apple for true Hi Res tracks?

Thanks

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hi Everyone

Would like your opinion on what do you prefer - Tidal… Qobuz…Apple for true Hi Res tracks?

Thanks
No preference opinions from me. But they all offer CD quality and above streams. So it all comes down to the features and functionality of their music app and their user interface and pricing. Select the one that has the features you want/like at the price you are willing to pay. Anything Cd Quality is pretty much all you need.

OP
M

Musichead

What about master tracks? CD quality is good but not the highest quality you can get I’m told?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Everyone

Thanks
I'm not remotely interested in Hi Res given that it offers no audible benefits to Redbook/CD in real world listening.

If it's there I'll take it - but I'll not pay one penny for it. As pointed out by @AdamG choose your streaming service on other criteria.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What about master tracks? CD quality is good but not the highest quality you can get I’m told?
You're basically told wrong.

CD/redbook was very carefully designed to be transparent to human hearing. Pushing more data in there doesn't make an audible improvement.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Broken record here on Hi Res. I use Qobuz because of the music selections of Jazz, International, Acoustic, Classical are very good. It seems Iike Tidal, which I had for a year, had more contemporary, country, rap and rock stuff. Hi Res takes up more bandwidth and I live where internet providers are few so some buffering will occur on HR sometimes, not often, but annoying when it does .

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Have your hearing tested. As we age we lose hearing range. Mostly up high above 12K and up. So all that extra quality goes to waste because we can’t hear that high. Your profile says you are 63. So if you can still hear at 15k and above you are lucky, gifted or both. There are some hearing tests online that are free you just need headphones of relatively good performance. Here is an online hearing test I have used in the recent past:

OP
M

Musichead

Broken record here on Hi Res. I use Qobuz because of the music selections of Jazz, International, Acoustic, Classical are very good. It seems Iike Tidal, which I had for a year, had more contemporary, country, rap and rock stuff. Hi Res takes up more bandwidth and I live where internet providers are few so some buffering will occur on HR sometimes, not often, but annoying when it does .
Thanks
You're basically told wrong.

CD/redbook was very carefully designed to be transparent to human hearing. Pushing more data in there doesn't make an audible improvement.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
The Headphone Show recently did some feature comparisons you may find useful:

As others have said, I wouldn't pay extra for resolutions above CD quality, 16bit - 44.1kHz, it's almost certainly inaudible.

olieb

I don't care for hi res for the aforementioned reasons. I use Apple for ease of use and the ability to play „albums“ more easily.
Several times I got frustrated too much and checked Spotify only to find it even more obnoxious with its algorithms, GUI and other "intelligent" functions. IRC I tried Tidal once (some years ago), I was not impressed either. So I am still on Apple.

OldTimer

I use all three.
  1. Qobuz for general songs (Pop, Folk, Blues, Soul, and Country)
  2. Tidal for gospel/worship songs
  3. Apple for streaming at the homepod to airplay receivers.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Biggest advantage to higher res is manipulation of the signal, if needed. For listening, perhaps if there's a particular difference in the recordings in the different resolutions?

BigFKahuna

No one's mentioned Deezer yet. I find their quality to be very good.
I have been rather happy with Deezer for the past couple of years, and since it streams at Airplay 1 (not 2) it goes at CD quality. I understand that the ability to stream at hi res is not the same as the catalogue being all hi res, in fact maybe 10% or whatever of a streaming service such as Tidal or Qobuz actually is hi res? I do wish Deezer offered a Connect feature to my KEF system, but that is something for another thread.

Matt_Holland

Amazon Music For me.
I had Tidal’s highest tier for many years courtesy of a work benefit, but when that stopped I switched straight to Amazon because it’s half the price and includes high-res. I stream direct from the Amazon app to my Wiim amp using Alexa Cast.

Top Bottom