• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro which I ordered from Amazon, and its had no popping problems with either my Android phone or PC, it's on the firmware it came with.

Ditto- albeit only ever used with Android , not PC. PC seems to be where the issues lie.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
seem like Amir and his fans only go crazy about specs and measurements but forget about the most important factor of a product: it needs to work properly.
We are just here for the fun. You talk about work. That is up to you!!!

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We are just here for the fun. You talk about work. That is up to you!!!
I think he's hinting at you not having a life at all, and instead, after spending time getting measured results with the AP, writing up that part of the review, then plugging into numerous computer and tablet/phone systems and trying it out with a plethora of software. Just for a week or two. Then reporting any trouble with compatibility or whatever.
So, no more time wasted on dental visits or pickling vegetables or sleeping, there is more testing to do! ;)

Clearly you don't live just for this place and actually have a life, so yeah, not happening.
It's a forum, problems get reported as folks pick things up and try them themselves in different scenarios. This is what it is. We're glad there are some measurements rather than everything being a complete unknown described with cryptic and contradictory adjectives.

ziege159

I think he's hinting at you not having a life at all, and instead, after spending time getting measured results with the AP, writing up that part of the review, then plugging into numerous computer and tablet/phone systems and trying it out with a plethora of software. Just for a week or two. Then reporting any trouble with compatibility or whatever.
So, no more time wasted on dental visits or pickling vegetables or sleeping, there is more testing to do! ;)

Clearly you don't live just for this place and actually have a life, so yeah, not happening.
It's a forum, problems get reported as folks pick things up and try them themselves in different scenarios. This is what it is. We're glad there are some measurements rather than everything being a complete unknown described with cryptic and contradictory adjectives.
Summary of your comment: "hey i think this guy thinks about my idol like this so he must be thinking this way"

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, i just purchased the sonata hd pro yesterday and i notice there're clicking sound when i change songs, i flash the lastest firmware 3.0 and installed the driver (audio CPL doesn't recognize the device at all) i saw some people has the same problem like me but it seem like it can't be fixed?

Seems like you either have a flaky computer or a flaky Sonata HD Pro. Probably easier to return the Sonata HD Pro.

ziege159

Seems like you either have a flaky computer or a flaky Sonata HD Pro. Probably easier to return the Sonata HD Pro.
In my case, none of the pc or sonata is flaky. I got helped from some guys on the website that mainly about frequency response graph, the problem was "fixed" by them. Pop noise is still there but way less audible, it needs focus and rapidly switching songs to notice the noise. In short situation got much better than before

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In my case, none of the pc or sonata is flaky. I got helped from some guys on the website that mainly about frequency response graph, the problem was "fixed" by them. Pop noise is still there but way less audible, it needs focus and rapidly switching songs to notice the noise. In short situation got much better than before
So no real need to go off on one about Amir then?

charleski

Major Contributor
I have the latest windows + updates.
I'll try the S8 driver .

Anyone here who use it as a dedicated dac 3.5mm->rca to AMP ?
If so, what drivers and firmware do you use.
I run mine off an old MacBook Pro into a Schiit Heresy. No drivers needed for Mac, and it’s on stock firmware.

But I found JRiver had an unacceptable amount of popping between tracks. I switched to Audirvana and the popping went away. This suggests it might be worth playing around with different playback software.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Summary of your comment: "hey i think this guy thinks about my idol like this so he must be thinking this way"
Amir is certainly not my idol. Blimey, some people have a strange take on things. :rolleyes::facepalm:
You ranted off complaining that the reviewer, in this case the forum host, needs to worry less about measuring stuff and focus on making sure something works. I pointed out, maybe not obviously enough, that would take huge amounts of time to test multiple scenarios.

It worked for him when testing it. It works for many of us.
What might be more useful is detailing the problem exactly, and then making the solution public.

As for myself and others here, we've had some clicking/dropout problems when simply playing audio. Installing the driver in Windows 10 cured the problem for myself. I haven't updated the firmware from what it came with, which I assume is not v3.0 (haven't seen an easy way to view it).

So.... what did you change that reduced the popping you experienced?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
my previous comment is still there, you can read it whenever you like
Yes, I know. In all its angry little man glory. Care to share how you resolved your problem and add a bit of value to the site?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Oh good. So what was the solution? it would be great if you would share here in case it benefits anybody else.

virtua

I jinxed myself, I now have the same clicking issue that @ziege159 has LOL. The strange thing is that it's also happening when I'm clicking between web pages too.

octaviansan1

I jinxed myself, I now have the same clicking issue that @ziege159 has LOL. The strange thing is that it's also happening when I'm clicking between web pages too.
same

my setup: sonata -> topping a30
When i pause every music stream (yt, windows sounds, discord, chrome, spotify, etc) a get a slight pop after 2-3 seconds.

I have 2 more tempotecs on the way. I'll test those aswell (they are for some friends). Maybe its just this unit.
Again, im using latest firmware, and latest drivers.

If im not using a amplifier, then no pops, no glitches.
Which is weird.

phrwn

I'm getting intermittent dropouts running a Hidizs S8 via USB-C from a laptop. No obvious triggers; pause/play and alt-tabbing don't do it. Just little drops here and there.

I'm running Windows 10, default Windows driver, MusicBee, Equalizer APO with AutoEQ preset. I tried to use the Sonata 3.0 driver, but got confused by the package that downloaded with it. It seemed to install software that did nothing and the driver remained unchanged. And I wasn't able to select a driver file manually.

I also tried switching to the other USB-C port - same problem. I guess I could try the USB-A ports.

octaviansan1

I'm getting intermittent dropouts running a Hidizs S8 via USB-C from a laptop. No obvious triggers; pause/play and alt-tabbing don't do it. Just little drops here and there.

I'm running Windows 10, default Windows driver, MusicBee, Equalizer APO with AutoEQ preset. I tried to use the Sonata 3.0 driver, but got confused by the package that downloaded with it. It seemed to install software that did nothing and the driver remained unchanged. And I wasn't able to select a driver file manually.

I also tried switching to the other USB-C port - same problem. I guess I could try the USB-A ports.

go to device manager -> update driver -> choose driver (c program files tempotec), wait to update. Then you have latest drivers.

Veri

Master Contributor
My meizu does this too, on that dongle I thought it came from synchronous transmission of data rather than async, and sporadically it breaks up. If it's the same problem with the hidizs it's difficult to fix. A driver can help, but when using linux/osx/iOS for example you're out of luck.

Top Bottom