• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiFi Technology Flatlined Last Century

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Indeed. I thought the point of our developing robots computers were so that they could take over the jobs we didn’t want to do, not take over the jobs we want to do!
Welcome to the Law of Unintended Consequences

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
The big shift in the last 20 years wast in hardware but in delivery. Streaming has changed the music industry, not all for the better. Better for the content users and the streaming companies. Not so much for everyone else in the business. Now for the price of one CD I can listen to almost anything I want as much as I want for over a month with out getting out of my chair, this would have been a dream when you had to go downtown to flip thru records and not find what you were looking for
The down side, less money going into artist development, so you can listen to anything but there is not as much good music to listen to. Instead of a label spending money (they no longer have) on gigs so an artist can learn to sing/play they just use autotune etc. Sorry for the off topic rant.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have amplifiers really advanced functionally since the 70’s? Amplifiers really hit their stride in the 1970’s. Full-bandwidth 20-20khz power at extremely low distortion became commonplace. Whether it was the modest amplifier section in a mid-priced receiver like the Kenwood KR-5400 (35 watts/ch RMS from 20-20kHz at <0.5% THD) from 1974 or the Pioneer Spec 2 power amplifier from 1976 rated at 250 watts/ch 20-20kHz at <0.1% THD, amps in the 1970’s delivered the goods.
Although your 1970s receivers and amps had already achieved the "hi-" in "hi-fi," the advent of highly refined Class D circuitry and SMPS technology launched audibly equivalent (and better measuring!) amplification into a vastly lower price bracket and vastly smaller packages. Take a look at the inflation-adjusted prices for a KR-5400 and a Spec 2 -- not to mention their enormous size and weight -- and tell me the combination of Class D and SMPS is just "based on tweaking circuits and incorporating modern components" and not a quantum leap for music loving consumers, many of whom have limited budgets -- and limited space -- for audio gear!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The big shift in the last 20 years wast in hardware but in delivery. Streaming has changed the music industry, not all for the better. Better for the content users and the streaming companies. Not so much for everyone else in the business. Now for the price of one CD I can listen to almost anything I want as much as I want for over a month with out getting out of my chair, this would have been a dream when you had to go downtown to flip thru records and not find what you were looking for
The down side, less money going into artist development, so you can listen to anything but there is not as much good music to listen to. Instead of a label spending money (they no longer have) on gigs so an artist can learn to sing/play they just use autotune etc. Sorry for the off topic rant.
There is, actually; but perhaps it depends on genre. The 90's had a loooot less talented Extreme Metal bands while now, you can get fantastic bands in a gazillion places that are not Scandinavia or the US.

A couple weeks ago I got a CD from Austria that would have been impossible to find over here just 15 years ago.

Top Bottom