• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How big is your listening room?

Did you submit your answers in the Google Form?

• Total voters
OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
42 Responses so far... almost halfway there... anyone else care to advance the state of ASR's knowledge of itself? :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
42 Responses so far... almost halfway there... anyone else care to advance the state of ASR's knowledge of itself? :)
I could add to the database if I add some more rooms....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a good realtor I can introduce you to. ;)
Oh no, not moving ever again. I just do have other rooms I do a significant amount of listening in with equivalent gear, and they're way different.....

ps but when I lived in SF, this was just too expensive :)

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh no, not moving ever again. I just do have other rooms I do a significant amount of listening in with equivalent gear, and they're way different.....

ps but when I lived in SF, this was just too expensive :)
My listening room in SF is at least not tiny now, but unfortunately I have to share it with the kitchen and dining room as part of an open plan. On the other hand, I can listen to my main system while I cook or eat. So that's not so bad.

I have an office for the foreseeable future, but it's about 10ft x 10ft so having a serious second system is unlikely.

Everything in SF is too expensive of course, but at least you can console yourself knowing that resale value is mostly tied to a patch of dirt and not the condition of the house. I saw a house with an acknowledged termite problem requiring $100K+ of remediation sell for well over a million... I saw a completely unfinished house (studs only, no floors, walls, or ceilings indoors) sell for $1M flat.

If you're looking to customize a listening space though, that might be the ticket... ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My listening room in SF is at least not tiny now, but unfortunately I have to share it with the kitchen and dining room as part of an open plan. On the other hand, I can listen to my main system while I cook or eat. So that's not so bad.

I have an office for the foreseeable future, but it's about 10ft x 10ft so having a serious second system is unlikely.

Everything in SF is too expensive of course, but at least you can console yourself knowing that resale value is mostly tied to a patch of dirt and not the condition of the house. I saw a house with an acknowledged termite problem requiring $100K+ of remediation sell for well over a million... I saw a completely unfinished house (studs only, no floors, walls, or ceilings indoors) sell for $1M flat.

If you're looking to customize a listening space though, that might be the ticket... ;)
I had three listening areas in my SF rental house (80-08)....living room (large open area to dining and kitchen areas), smallish bedroom and then fairly large downstairs garage/laundry/workshop area (with pool table and pingpong table options). Best view was from the living room (most of the bay area) and the downstairs (same view, but no deck/sliding doors to access). Bedroom had no view but that wasn't where the magic was intended there (I know TMI). You'd probably cry if I told you what my rent was for like the last 20 years :) ).

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'd probably cry if I told you what my rent was for like the last 20 years :) ).
I sometimes cry thinking about what my rent has been for the past 4, so... :eek:

I can't really compete with the above but at least I have a yard to put an outdoor system in, so whole-house setups start to become meaningful. There's also a "utility room" for storage that might also become a workout room that could accommodate something, but I am not sure if it's worth putting primo gear in there.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I sometimes cry thinking about what my rent has been for the past 4, so... :eek:

I can't really compete with the above but at least I have a yard to put an outdoor system in, so whole-house setups start to become meaningful. There's also a "utility room" for storage that might also become a workout room that could accommodate something, but I am not sure if it's worth putting primo gear in there.
LOL oh yeah I left before they got really silly (again, went thru a few cycles). The house we rented in 80 ($750/mo 3bdrm/2car garage big view) was purchased the year before for $108k, and minimal work needed done. I was offered the bargain price of $910k (IIRC) in '08 after years of a relatively cheap rental basically due the same guy's misunderstanding of the rent control rate increase rules....some great times were had as a result....many somewhat audio based due we had not only our own system but now and then friends would perform....

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL oh yeah I left before they got really silly (again, went thru a few cycles). The house we rented in 80 ($750/mo 3bdrm/2car garage big view) was purchased the year before for $108k, and minimal work needed done. I was offered the bargain price of $910k (IIRC) in '08 after years of a relatively cheap rental basically due the same guy's misunderstanding of the rent control rate increase rules....some great times were had as a result....many somewhat audio based due we had not only our own system but now and then friends would perform....

giphy.gif

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have no idea how to use this Google poll thing... and don't trust them much as a company anyway.

Nevertheless:
I have 2 rooms.
Living room is 32' wide, 48' long, 9' high (not counting a couple vaulted ceilings. Listening area is about 20' wide and 15' deep. System is a 4.1 (the 4 speakers are all full range, the sub just helps with the bottom octave).

The recording studio is 32' long, 34' wide at the listening end, 19' wide at the opposite end, 8'-6" high. The system is 2.0 with 3 speaker pairs (only one pair at a time):
- Tannoy Proto-J passives driven by a 225W/ch Peavey power amp (my first monitors, no longer in use).
- A pair of JBL 308s (my main monitors)
- A pair of JBL Eon powered speakers (400W ea.) only used for jam parties.
Acoustic treatment: 12 fiberglass panels 2'x4'x2" hung 2" off the walls, 3 fullsize sofas positioned at bass nodes.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to add listening position? Some people have big rooms but sit closer or farther away from the TV/phantom center position

AlfaNovember

Form submitted. On Reddit, for any discussion of size, the tradition is to demand a "banana for scale". However, since we are dealing with three dimensions, I am pleased to report that according to Wolfram Alpha, my listening room is

≈ 1.1 × typical volume of a humpback whale ( ≈ 31.5 m^3 )

(and that, in turn, is approx. 260,000 times the volume of a banana)

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to add listening position? Some people have big rooms but sit closer or farther away from the TV/phantom center position
A good point, that I also thought of... way too late. :facepalm:

We have 58 responses now, maybe we can pump these numbers up over the weekend.

Still, I think >50 is still enough to have an interesting analysis. Thanks to everyone who participated so far!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A good point, that I also thought of... way too late. :facepalm:

We have 58 responses now, maybe we can pump these numbers up over the weekend.

Still, I think >50 is still enough to have an interesting analysis. Thanks to everyone who participated so far!

You should be able to EDIT the survey without losing results right?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I have no idea how to use this Google poll thing... and don't trust them much as a company anyway.

I avoid Google services and analytics fairly strictly, but could survey and submit without sign-in, so bent my rules a bit here.

Top Bottom