• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How people choose very expensive High-End speakers?

Possible reason to buy High-End speakers?

• Best sound quality

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Whim

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Show-off to friends

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Investment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tax optimization

• Art

• Because you can

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

SiriusCanopus

Sunday evening and I have some thoughts to share and would like hear yours' as well :cool:.

So, let's define "very expensive speakers" as anything above 25k USD per 1 speaker as 2024. Why? In my head 50k per pair is like buying Porsche 911, it can be life time goal, but achievable. Anything after is like Rolls-Royce for me - most likely non achievable unless I will win a lottery :). So, my question is, how do people choose to buy let's say Legacy Audio V or GRANDE UTOPIA EM EVO, i.e. ~100k vs ~250k per pair?

Is it just looks and style, or brand name? Or maybe the other way around, what marketing strategy these brands follow to be able to sell such speakers? Exclusiveness?

I don't want to undermine that sound quality, but there should be a logic here, and I just looking to find it :D

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't mean this to sound cynical......I think two things on this...

1) At that end of the market are the Veblen buyers, where the price is the best part.

2) With that kind of spending power comes the ability to buy capriciously. I would wager there are more impulse buys at this end of the market than at the low end.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
"Do they look cool?"
"Will I be impressed by the appearance every time I walk into the room?"
"Will friends be impressed with me owning these?"
And, perhaps, "will I mind tossing them out when the appearance ceases to impress me and replace them with something more outlandish and/or cool?"
:D

OP
S

SiriusCanopus

I don't mean this to sound cynical......I think two things on this...

1) At that end of the market are the Veblen buyers, where the price is the best part.

2) With that kind of spending power comes the ability to buy capriciously. I would wager there are more impulse buys at this end of the market than at the low end.
Well. if these expensive brands make people buy things on a whim, it is also a solid answer. I also thought of investment like in expensive cars, to reduce money depreciation, or may be they can do something with taxes.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know only one person who bought very expensive speakers (K&H O500C, ~15 k€ the pair) and he told me he bought them based on the measurements published by K&H and others without listening to them beforehand. He said they were (and are) the best speakers he ever listened to, and that was at an audition of Focal Grande Utopia Evo (~200 k€ the pair) at the local dealer.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah it’s true. Another case of “rider and elephant”. We buy on impulse and then rationalize what we did after the fact. I’ve often thought that was the true function of Stereophile and TAS-to provide rationalization of what people wanted to do or already had done.

Ordin Aryguy

Not too long ago there was a series on TV called Northern Exposure. Phenomenal show! Anyhow, in one of the episodes Maurice Minnifield bought a very expensive antique clock. A technician came with the clock to install it and ensure it was working.

A day or two goes by and Maurice (a former astronaut) notices that the clock is not keeping exact time. The technician makes an adjustment, and shortly thereafter the clock is not exactly correct yet again.

Maurice tells the technician he doesn't want the clock and instead wants a refund. The technician tells Maurice, "People do not buy these clocks because they keep perfect time."

No one buys expensive antique clocks, Rolls Royces, Gucci suitcases, Nike Air Jordans, or uber-expensive speakers because "they keep perfect time."

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, my question is, how do people choose to buy let's say Legacy Audio V or GRANDE UTOPIA EM EVO, i.e. ~100k vs ~250k per pair?
Probably the same way you or I would choose a speaker for $1K - $2.5K per pair, but they just have >100x more money than we do.

Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No one buys expensive antique clocks, Rolls Royces, Gucci suitcases, Nike Air Jordans, or uber-expensive speakers because "they keep perfect time."
I take exception to this. Air Jordans are proven to work assuming you are 6’6, went to North Carolina, love golf, are perhaps the greatest basketball player of all time, and your first name is Michael.

GaryY

Forum Donor
Long time ago, I heard a case from my friend who is lux hifi distributor now that one of his customer built a house with 4m ceiling room for his new audio. It's just different world and I made my mind I don't care. :)

Overseas

Major Contributor
After I bought my 3.5k speakers and sent a photo with the setup to the dealer he congratuled me saying that he rarely sees a proper arrangement for speakers, especially at much more expensive models.

darrellc

Forum Donor
They want the best of everything, money is a good proxy for that and many are prepared to reinforce that and provide solutions. Plus the salespeople make you feel real good about your decision. Kind of like high end real estate. You are buying a bunch of intangibles beyond the good itself.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After I bought my 3.5k speakers and sent a photo with the setup to the dealer he congratuled me saying that he rarely sees a proper arrangement for speakers, especially at much more expensive models.
I’m sure you did, but dealer flattery should be taken with a mountain of salt.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Well, he told me some real stories with expensive speakers buyers that are hard to make up. My acquisition was nothing to its business

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I often see photos of very expensive speakers in rooms apparently made almost entirely of glass.

Sokel

Master Contributor
At the upper end are usually bought by companies with money which otherwise would go to taxes (so,they spend less than the person who spends a grand or two).

There are more sinister reasons of course with declared high-value items,I'm not gonna be specific but it's similar to art market.

Top Bottom