• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I always assumed that EIN didn't matter for condenser microphones...

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
...as long as it wasn't truly and utterly terrible, of course. Well, so much for that.

I stumbled across this quite by accident while struggling with the perils of inexpensive audio interfaces:
(TL;DR: This UA-2x2 specimen has a bad left mic input channel that goes noisy when phantom power is on (probably a bad coupling cap), and remnants of USB power supply voltage noise on the PC I needed this for still make it into phantom power on the UR12, fixed by using an external charger. Quite the ordeal.)

In any case, I found that low-noise condenser mics did, in fact, exhibit audibly more white noise on these interfaces with their rather mediocre EIN - I estimate it to be about 118 dBu flat @ 24 kHz BW on the UR12, so perhaps about -121 dBu(A), which I would have considered mediocre but irrelevant. Not necessarily night and day but it's audible in a direct comparison with e.g. my Mackie 402 VLZ4 mixer, with the mic's own noise floor being almost entirely 1/f (Brown noise, about 20 dB / decade) and much more gentle on the ears. It's also quite obvious in an FFT, one will bottom out starting at a few kHz and the other just keeps on descending for a good while longer. 6 dB, easily.

Good candidates to demonstrate this are not necessarily expensive - a t.bone SC 400 from Thomann's house brand does the job (32 mm LDC, self-noise spec 18 dB(A), sens about -33 dBV/Pa), as does a Marantz Pro MPM-1000 in the same price class (18 mm "LDC", more like MDC, self-noise spec 17 dB(A), sens -38 dBV/Pa and less proximity effect, so a fair bit more critical still). As such, the same is likely to be the case for the usual low-noise LDC suspects, as well as the odd SDC if it's very good in that respect (maybe a Rode NT5 or the like).

I do have some mics that will utterly swamp even a mediocre input, like an old Samson CL8 multipattern LDC that I suspect generates 20-23 dB(A) worth of self-noise, with a fair bit that's approaching white (that's inexpensive condensers from 15-20 years ago for ya). Likewise, the t.bone SC 140 with fundamentally better-behaved electronics but a smaller capsule doesn't quite cut the mustard either, there's just too much 1/f noise altogether... but I mean, it's an inexpensive SDC (99€ the pair), what do you expect.

Some spectra taken with an MPM1000 wrapped in a thick blacket:
Steinberg UR12 Black, full gain, with 440 Hz caltone played on speaker, +30 dB +15.3 dB (little input level slider oopsie):
spec-noise-mpm1000-ur12-caltone-v2.png

Makes it to about -81.5 dB with a following wind by 20 kHz. More like -81.

Mackie 402VLZ4 (gain 3 o'clock or a tad past +40 dB, tone flat, ch1 level 2 o'clock or ~+3 dB, main mix about -12 dB) into onboard Realtek ALC1200 on Asus TUF Z590-PLUS WIFI, with 440 Hz caltone played on speaker, +30.8 dB to match level:
spec-noise-mpm1000-402vlz4-caltone-v2.png

Gets to about -87.0 dB by 20 kHz (note that gain isn't even maxed). Either is far away from the respective ADC limits. This here would be the white noise equivalent of -84.8 dBFS, and the input makes it to -105/106 dBFS equivalent up there with channel level at minimum.
(EDIT: Input level was also turned down here, -7.0 dB in this case. This is getting silly. Anyway, levels were matched, so the comparison is still valid.)

Peculiarly, there is a quite a bit more rumble going on when using the UR12, this time on USB using my home PC. Let me just grab a USB charger quick...
Nope, doesn't make a huge difference here. You can make out some remains of the rumble on internal power, so in that sense external power is a tad quieter, but it's not that much on this particular machine, unlike my office PC.
Ext Power:
spec-noise-extpwr-mpm1000-ur12-caltone.png

Bus Power:
spec-noise-intpwr-mpm1000-ur12-caltone.png

You can download the files to listen to here.

For fun, here's what the SC 400 looks like on the 402 VLZ4 with comparable settings (no blanket though):
spec-noise-sc400-402vlz4-2.png

Despite being a fair bit hotter, it's actually 4-6 dB quieter throughout the midrange and not any worse in the treble. (In sum, roughly 4 dB A-weighted less noise. And it's about 5 dB hotter, plus more proximity effect.) Kind of what you expect in a "real" 1" condenser vs. 18 mm electret capsule, mind you.

Last edited:
OP
AnalogSteph

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
In any case, I found that low-noise condenser mics did, in fact, exhibit audibly more white noise on these interfaces with their rather mediocre EIN - I estimate it to be about 118 dBu flat @ 24 kHz BW on the UR12, so perhaps about -121 dBu(A), which I would have considered mediocre but irrelevant.
Turns out I may have made a mistake calculating said estimate. A -64 dBFS noise floor when your input sensitivity is -44 dBu does not equate to -118 dBu worth of input noise, but rather -108 dBu. Yikes. :eek:

Top Bottom