• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I used to...

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Please, can I ask you experts, via this thread for a definitive answer?
In which order should I power up, Pre -amp, two monobloks, Chord Quetest, two sub woofers and two loudspeakers?
Fanks

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me the opposite has happened. Now I touch my iPad, Apple Music is open where I left off and I push play. My DAC and speakers come to life and I enjoy.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
switch on cd transport, switch on pre-amp, switch on power amp.

While power amp goes through its start-up routine, eject the CD that's in the player, put it back in the case, look for another CD to play.

having to boot up a computer before I can listen to music? No thanks.

Wasn't much more hassle with vinyl, my records were already wet/vacuum cleaned. No need for the 'brush routine' just to move surface dust around the record. What was that ever accomplishing? They were always a waste of time.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Turn on my miniDSP Flex, which via a current sensor power strip powers up my amps, preamp, and turntable. Open my iPad, open Roon, and select what I want to hear. If I’m feeling energetic I put a record on the TT.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Wasn't much more hassle with vinyl, my records were already wet/vacuum cleaned. No need for the 'brush routine' just to move surface dust around the record. What was that ever accomplishing? They were always a waste of time.
The brush? If you had the right brush, with a flick of the wrist you could actually remove the dust from the record.

The right brush... with the wrong brush some of the dust came off and you could count the revolutions as the stylus crossed the remaining line of debris :(

At one time I had a bagful of the wrong brushes. I threw them out in the end.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The brush? If you had the right brush, with a flick of the wrist you could actually remove the dust from the record.

The right brush... with the wrong brush some of the dust came off and you could count the revolutions as the stylus crossed the remaining line of debris :(

At one time I had a bagful of the wrong brushes. I threw them out in the end.
I recall one magazine suggested brushing the dust into a line on the record and then snorting it up through a ten pound note.

That was in the 1980s of course.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, since you said "albums" does Siri duitifully trot out every version, remix, remaster, mash-up, alternate, and anniversary version? Multi-track? Steven Wilson remix? If not, do we know why?

PS I am not being as facetious as it may seem. How does Siri know which one(s) you want in 2023?
I don't really care. It is the same music with a different mix. However, I have tried and Siri did differentiate between Abbey Road's 2019 Mix, Remastered and Super Deluxe Editions. If the difference is in the album's name it will differentiate.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I power on my DAC, type in a few characters to select, from almost everything ever recorded commercially, what I want, then press play.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I power on my DAC, type in a few characters to select, from almost everything ever recorded commercially, what I want, then press play.
How do you play the deleted records?

threni

Major Contributor
I pick the music I want on my phone, from a huge library that I pay a trivial amount to access, choose which WiiM I want to listen to, and music comes out my speakers. My speakers have built-in integrated amps so it's just them and the WiiMs, and they use so little power I leave them on. It's never been cheaper or easier!
Similar except mine is all local flacs (with a handful of mp3s). I have an mains extension box with my pi, dac and amp attached to so I switch all that on with a single switch. I wait around a minute then click the moOde icon on my phone. Then I either press play to continue where I left off when I powered down, or else I scroll through a list of artists and click, then long press on an album and click play all. Hard to see how this could be any easier.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you play the deleted records?
I have yet to run into something I couldn't search and find again. Most of the invalid tracks I've had were Qobuz reshuffling album IDs.

And of course I have a lot of ripped music that only I or malware can delete.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well, that's self-evident, innit? :cool:

In all seriousness, I found your link very interesting -- got me to wondering if I have untold wealth in my basement in the form of that Milli Vanilli cassette single!
EDIT: I feel compelled to disclose that all of the cassettes in that photo were dump finds! I did not purchase them -- honest! ;)

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I had no idea what this thread might be about when I read the title. In my mind, I thought to myself: for many of us who are over the age of 60, as much as 50% of the sentences we utter begin with those three words. LOL.

izeek

i used to...
turn on my pc and wait for aol to dial up. then listen to music for the couple hours before work. downloading what i liked. listened on my logitech 2.1.
turn on my gear first thing in the morning and put on a cd id burned off my mac from internet music searches.
i used to listen to many music sites downloading onto flash drives for car till bt came along.
ive streamed for as long is been easily available.
i now use my phone to select what to hear being wiimed to my modi 3e and amps which are always on or on standby.
noooo voice automation. all devices that can record are disabled till used. my phone.

Top Bottom