• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I will NEVER buy a neutral speaker again!

Pareto Pragmatic

After trying what would be considered a very neutral speaker, never again. Nope.

Also, on measurements. Before using measurements I set up speakers in "the good spot" and eq'd 125hz down 2db at higher volumes. After extensive measurements for a couple of years, I now set speakers in the same spot and eq -2db at 125hz at higher volumes. So what good was all that work if I get to the same place as I got by ear? None good?

So that's my take.

Ok, I won't buy another neutral speaker, most likely, since I very much like my Sierra LXs. Were I to buy another pair of speakers, I would go bright, since my hearing is going with age, and in a few years that will just be worse.

As for EQ, what I said is true... but.

My room is now much more controlled, I now know exactly at what SPL my floor starts bouncing at 30hz and how that affects other modes, and I know how various toe in angles affect room modes differently. So I can get better performance from my AV speakers which are not in "the spot". My sub for AV is much better integrated. I can also dial in the 1k-3k region with the LXs, giving more elevation or less, through toe angle. I know that moving my speakers 4"/10cm forward or back is pretty much the same as using "loudness" on a receiver (yes, even for treble, odd room and speaker position). And I know a lot more, giving me the options of doing whatever I want in my room to get whatever effect I am looking for, sound wise. And I definitely know the "why" for all those options.

The only downside to all that measurement work is that I am now hearing more in terms of frequency response, and so I am even more picky than I was before. Which was pretty picky, even accepting equipment limitations. And I can still enjoy our (and my wife's beloved) modified Heresies for music and not just AV, so not really all that much of a downside.

I didn't want to troll ASR for more than half a post, but I thought some might enjoy the ride, short as it was. ;)

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Gregss

Well, between personal tastes, personal hearing responses, room boundary issues and room size variations, there is a real need to have tone controls.
Changing speakers for adjustments, is expensive and so much harder. FWIW.

Top Bottom