• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If CDs are obsolete, why old CD players are still expensive?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can understand buying the CD and copying to a server for convenience. Especially if you have thousands of CDs. But I don't. My collection grows, but slowly, and is still perfectly manageable as far as storage space and finding a specific album goes.

Relying solely on some rental service for music? No. I don't like that idea at all and will never go down that route,

David Harper

I can understand buying the CD and copying to a server for convenience. Especially if you have thousands of CDs. But I don't. My collection grows, but slowly, and is still perfectly manageable as far as storage space and finding a specific album goes.

Relying solely on some rental service for music? No. I don't like that idea at all and will never go down that route,
me either. Also I don't want anything "in the cloud". I did copy a few hundred songs from CD to a server (lowly IPOD) for listening in my car. But it's too much of a hassle because of the way I do it. Using I-tunes on my laptop with the CD in it.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Op is right though, old CD players are expensive, but only if they are desirable models, They are actually going up in price.

I bought a second hand Sony XB790QS about ten years ago for £50. Came out of a recording studio. Really all the player you will ever need, exquisite sound. I'd still be using it if it hadn't, after thousands of hour of use, developed a problem with the drawer mech. The cheapest I see them now is £300.

I see turntables that you literally could not give away 20 years ago selling now for over £100 on ebay. Maybe all the also-ran CD players will go up in value like that given a bit of time. I doubt it though.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I see turntables that you literally could not give away 20 years ago selling now for over £100 on ebay. Maybe all the also-ran CD players will go up in value like that given a bit of time. I doubt it though.
Yup. Thus Rule Number One of collecting/scrounging/hoarding:
Keep what others throw away, and throw away what others keep.

:)

David Harper

I've got an OPPO 203 and I looked on EBAY people are selling them used for between one and two thousand $.
I'm tempted to try but I'm not sure I'm willing to part with it. And a bran-new one is going for $3,500 !!!!

Robin L

Master Contributor
There's multi-format digital disc players that turn up in thrift stores for small money. Got a Sony Blu-Ray player with stereo analog out, coax for digital along with HDMI. Plays SACD, CD and the DVD layer that's standard [not DVD-A, but these players also play the audio from the regular DVD layer] along with DVD and BluRay video. The one I got most recently was $7 from a thrift store with a remote from Amazon that cost about twice that. I already had two more multi-format Sony disc players, one a hefty DVD/SACD/CD player, the other nearly identical to my other [slim and small] Blu-Ray player. Both from thrift stores, both under $30 a pop. Right now, I'm not using any of them. That's because my discs are mostly in storage and I've become accustomed to streaming and playing music off of flash drives and Micro-SD, a more elegant solution for me in a tiny space. I suspect there will always be something to play CDs on, the number of disc players being dumped to thrift stores is nearly overwhelming right now and the turntable revival indicates that if the demand for CDs goes back up, the new, improved and more expensive players will follow.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CD players will probably always be available, I think it is new releases coming out on CD that will dry up.

Vinyl records are probably one of the few products that have gone through the sales bell-curve and started selling in higher numbers again. I just can't see that happening with CD.

Rip City Dave

I still have my ADCOM GCD575 CD player. One thing I like and never see anymore is that it you can access all functions from the front panel buttons. Remote not necessary! It also has a variable output so you can drive an amplifier directly. It's built like tank and has served me well. Alas, the laser is starting to glitch and needs to be replaced.

I also have a first generation Micro Seiki CDM1. The first gen players are sought after as collectibles.

clearnfc

I just saw this thread and since when CDs are obsolete??? CDs are still in production and in use today since their invention, so how can they be called obsolete??

Items that could be considered obsolete are probably laser disc, maybe VHS tapes as well since both media and equipment are no longer prosuced

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just saw this thread and since when CDs are obsolete??? CDs are still in production and in use today since their invention, so how can they be called obsolete??

Items that could be considered obsolete are probably laser disc, maybe VHS tapes as well since both media and equipment are no longer prosuced
Laser Disc: true but VHS? not quite yet (although I am not sure why not yet).

Sony SLV-D360P DVD Player / Video Cassette Recorder Combination 4-Head Hi-Fi VHS...
Sony SLV-D360P DVD Player / Video Cassette Recorder Combination 4-Head Hi-Fi VHS...
  • Sony SLV-D360P DVD / CD / 4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo VHS Player Combination
  • VCR Video Cassette Recorder
  • Record and Play Your Favorite TV Shows/Movies on VHS Cassettes
  • Progressive Scan, Dolby Digital, DTS Digital Out, Compact Digital Out
Sony SLV-D380P DVD/VCR Tunerless Progressive Scan DVD/VHS Combo Player (2009...
Sony SLV-D380P DVD/VCR Tunerless Progressive Scan DVD/VHS Combo Player (2009...

• Progressive Output (480p) for DVD Player
  • Multi Brand TV Remote Control
  • CD, MP3, and JPEG Playback
  • 4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo
  • Flash Rewind: Rewind a T-120 tape in around 120 seconds
Sony SLVD370P DVD/VCR Progressive Scan Combo Player
Sony SLVD370P DVD/VCR Progressive Scan Combo Player
  • Combo DVD/VCR unit with component video output for progressive DVD playback
  • Playback support for DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, VCD, SVCD, CD-R/RW, JPEG CD, and MP3 CD
  • VCR can record programming while DVD plays; 8-event recording
  • Video connections: Composite A/V (2 in, 2 out), S-Video (1 out), component (1 out)
  • Dolby Digital/DTS output via digital optical audio output
  • Sony SLV-D360P DVD / CD / 4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo VHS Player Combination
  • VCR Video Cassette Recorder
  • Record and Play Your Favorite TV Shows/Movies on VHS Cassettes
  • Progressive Scan, Dolby Digital, DTS Digital Out, Compact Digital Out
Emerson ZV427EM5 DVD/VCR Combo DVD Recorder and VCR Player With HDMI 1080p...
Emerson ZV427EM5 DVD/VCR Combo DVD Recorder and VCR Player With HDMI 1080p...

−66%
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WIFV72...Code=osi&th=1&psc=1&keywords=best VHS players

Over the years, the VHS video recorders have evolved, offering functions and recording qualities that were until a few years ago unthinkable.

The manufacturers also took the liberty of offering devices called “all-in-one,” which means that in addition to recording on normal VHS cassettes, they also offered other options, including digital recording on DVD or CD.

It is not impossible to find different models that allow you to perform different operations with technical characteristics that make them current, even though the VHS technology is very dated.

The faithful of the VHS recording can buy a video recorder appointed only for this operation, which, paradoxically, currently costs more than a few years ago.

The paradox is that with fewer and fewer models available, today, proportionately, you pay more to buy one than 20 years ago, if you are looking for a good quality device. A new one should have the possibility to transfer from tape to digital.

In this way, you will have a flexible enough tool to use for a few more years before the definitive advent of the new high-definition technology of media centers, which should retire this type of device forever.

Top Bottom