• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm looking for a DAC with warm sound

OP
JulienCeyhan

JulienCeyhan

Correct.

I gather you mean the "rich, tube" etc. settings... these just add various levels and combinations of 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion from what I recall. Please do pass your posts through translate before posting.

JSmith
Please excuse me. I activated the translation on the forum. I didn't even realize I was posting the French version and not the version translated by DeepL...

Yes, that's right, I was talking about those settings. There are a lot of differences between each option? I like the SMSL Su-9n.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
27d1aac6-6add-48c4-8b51-97a93300caf0_text.gif

JSmith
And the Beyers are kinda velvety too...ooh, double velvet!

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If I want a warm sound I get a nice blanket and turn up the heating. But seriously, just use a DSP/equalizer to get the tonality you want.

OP
JulienCeyhan

JulienCeyhan

Finally I tried the pair of silver pads again and... the highs don't give me a headache anymore! At least, that's my impression... There's still a lot of treble, but there's no more whistling.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Using a DAC for EQ is like hammering in a nail with a needle. It’s a silly exercise and a waste of time and money!

@amirm had some nice EQ suggestions in his review, or test the autoEQ version without needing to install any extra software:

OP
JulienCeyhan

JulienCeyhan

Hey!

I spent hours yesterday finding the perfect setting for my headphone on Autoeq. If you're interested, here's the .txt file. It's the beyerdynamic DT 880 edition 250ohm.

After equalization, the sound is really good and there are no more unpleasant high frequencies.
I tried not to distort the sound. The signature remains the same, with lower treble peaks.

Best regards,
Julien.

Attachments

• Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 Ohm) GraphicEq.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 38

Mr. Haelscheir

For further fine-tuning of EQ, it helps to listen to sine sweeps like below and use parametric EQ to place negative-gain peaking filters at where you hear the peaks, as test heads may not perfectly match how the headphones interact with your own ears.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Changing headphones aside, not always certain that mere eq would give the 'warmth' the OP wants. I suspect subtle compression up top and maybe a touch of 'phat' bass distortion is more like it.. Just tilting the response never did it for me anyway...

Mr. Haelscheir

A peaking filter centered at around 300 Hz with a Q factor of 0.5 can give an upper bass and lower range midrange lift that could be perceived as warmth.

That reminds me of someone on the Head-Fi Stax SR-X9000 thread who claimed that the Carbon amp causes the midrange to be "recessed", but I think that was after coming from a (electrostatic) tube amp that may have measurably had an elevated midrange.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I also have the Beyerdynamic DT 880 and it sounds quite different depending on what kind of headphone amplifier I use. I have several options. With the Topping E30 II DAC and the Topping L30 II headphone amplifier it sounds warm and rich. No EQ necessary.

1700681015720.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
JulienCeyhan

JulienCeyhan

Hey!

I finally sold my DT880. I'm looking for another pair of headphones even though I don't intend to buy them straight away. I like the HD660S2, I'll wait a bit for the price to come down.

What do you think? I listen to all kinds of music but mainly pop. Is this a good choice?

Best,
Julien.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Hey!

I finally sold my DT880. I'm looking for another pair of headphones even though I don't intend to buy them straight away. I like the HD660S2, I'll wait a bit for the price to come down.

What do you think? I listen to all kinds of music but mainly pop. Is this a good choice?

Best,
Julien.

If mainly listening to pop, personally I wouldn't go with HD6xxx range. They are all lacking bass - not ideal for pop. Not saying you can't enjoy them (boost with EQ), but maybe you would be better of with some planars (hifiman sundara, audeze LCD-2, new audeze MM-100) or focals depending on your budget. Mind you, they will all need to be EQed, no headphone is perfect. But the most important thing with headphones is fit and comfort - that is something you will have to try for yourself (sundaras maybe small, lcd's are heavy, clamp force and so on). That's why recommending headphones is never a good idea and you should definitely try before buying if you can.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is this a good choice?
For your taste ... yes

You may have to lower the clamping force... it is quite high out of the box.

HD660S2 is better choice than HD600 or HD650... for you, may not be the same for someone else.
Smooth treble, extremely low distortion and pleasant 'relaxed' sound.
Audition before you buy.
A slightly clearer sounding alternative is OLLO S5X.

OP
JulienCeyhan

JulienCeyhan

Thank you for your reply. The best thing is to try before I buy. I know a shop that sells the whole Sennheiser range. But they don't sell Hifiman, Audeze.

I like the Sennheiser brand, it sounds very musical and moreover I trust this brand. I think it will work well with my Project amp.

Svperstar

If you want a "warmer" headphone get the Audeze LCD-2 Classic. Done.

Top Bottom