• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IMD audibility, using XLR vs RCA output of Gustard x16

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Digital volume can be quite good, but only if it was designed as such and not as an afterthought. I don't know how it was implemented on the X16, but if Gustard says digital attenuation will degrade quality, I would think twice about doing it.

I leave my X16 at 0 db.

I do -21 db on my AX-505 and the rest on the Roon side. Roon uses 64-bit float, which is as good as you can get on the digital side.

Aren't all Gustard's volumes implemented in the same way with the same thoughts on all their recent dacs ?
X26, X16, A22, A18 ....

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
That was going to be my next suggestion! But I dont think it would answer your real question. Cognitive bias. It doesnt work how us laymen think it works.
Yeah, l suspect most likely is me.

I can't see the volume level of X16 from where I sit. After I first made the switch to xlr, I used the remote to adjust the volume down to my regular level by ear only. Then I got curious about the x16 volume level, walked close to the x16, and I was surprised that I already at -20db...

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
That was going to be my next suggestion! But I dont think it would answer your real question. Cognitive bias. It doesnt work how us laymen think it works.
Hmm, just went back to RCA...

X16's RCA direct to amp. X16's XLR direct to subs. Node2i fixed volume. X16 volume at -18db. Yup, I can relax.....So the issue I sensed not likely due to IMD as I am also using pretty low volume level with RCA. I wonder why XLR is less relaxing....

Anyway, I observed one strange thing when using xlr splitter to split X16's XLR out to both amp and subs. With XLR splitter, when turn on X16, my subs would sense signals and wake up from suspense. When using xlr direct to subs only (RCA to amp), my subs would not wakeup when turn on X16. I wonder why using xlr splitter would cause additional signals output to my subs when turn on x16.

Top Bottom