• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated or Separate AMP/DAC for newbies?

gat3keeper

Hi,

I love music and can't live without them. I listen to music as much as I can. However, recently I feel like I'm not satisfied anymore with normal earbuds and active speakers. I want to indulge myself to audiophile hobby. I'm starting to do my research but the most part that I'm having difficulty with is the DAC / AMP topic. Should I go integrated or separate?

I'm sorry to say but as a start, I just have $500 budget. So my options are very limited to Chi-Fi they call.. hehe. Any suggestions?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Active speakers can give you better sound quality than traditional passive designs, which due to their passive crossovers, have a number of unavoidable drawbacks.

Therefore, I would generally steer you towards active speakers whenever they make sense.

What's your listening distance?
Which active speakers have you been using so far?
Which country are you located in?

OP
G

gat3keeper

Im using active speakers in living room (small condo size) and computer.

Don't get me wrong, active speakers is good but I want something more clear and alive. I want a sound that when you close your eyes, you feel like the band or singer is in front of you.

I know my budget would not get that sound but at least I want to learn the basics.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Im using active speakers in living room (small condo size) and computer.

Don't get me wrong, active speakers is good but I want something more clear and alive. I want a sound that when you close your eyes, you feel like the band or singer is in front of you.

I know my budget would not get that sound but at least I want to learn the basics.
That answered none of my three questions.

Active speakers are not in any way, shape or form less capable of achieving that than passive ones. Arguably, they're more capable.

OP
G

gat3keeper

Sorry I forgot to answer these:

What's your listening distance? 6-7 feet from speakers
Which active speakers have you been using so far? Edifier r1700bt , S1000MKII, MR4
Which country are you located in? Malaysia

OP
G

gat3keeper

Im kinda curious with Chi-Fi ... Aiyima / Fosi Audio / Nobsound . Are these good enough for beginner ? Just to get hang of it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry I forgot to answer these:

What's your listening distance? 6-7 feet from speakers
Which active speakers have you been using so far? Edifier r1700bt , S1000MKII, MR4
Which country are you located in? Malaysia
In that case, I'd buy the Kali LP-8v2.

Im kinda curious with Chi-Fi ... Aiyima / Fosi Audio / Nobsound . Are these good enough for beginner ? Just to get hang of it.
Aiyima and Fosi make good Budget Amps, yes.

But compared to active monitors, with an Amp+Passive speakers, you'd spend more and get less.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,
I'd just echo some of the suggestions you've been given: for your budget (which is fine) then upgrading to better Active Speakers makes a lot of sense. The Kali LP-8v2 or JBL 308P are great options.

You will want a DAC (digital to analogue converter) between your computer and the speakers if you don't already have one. There are very good options between $100 and $200. The SMSL SU-1 was very well reviewed here for $80.

A passive setup is also possible. Same DAC (SMSL SU-1) $80, a simple but good amplifier like the Aiyima A07 $70 and you have $350 for Speakers ... so something like Wharfdale Diamond 12.1 would be nice.
I'd still prefer the Active system

Look at the Review Index on this site and read about the options. Good luck :)

One quick point; please don't use the term "Chi-Fi" as it has negative connotations and we try to avoid it. It's just hi-fi.

SteveC

When I was getting started I went for integrated amps, and they have gotten so good that, if I had to start my system over today, I would go integrated instead of separates. In fact I have considered buying an NAD C 3050 just because it is so cool!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Most DACs & amplifiers are better than human hearing as long as you have enough amplifier power. Analog electronics can also generate or pick-up noise (hum, hiss, or whine in the background). Some people complain about hiss when listening to active speakers at a close distance, but I don't have a list of "problem speakers".

See Audiophoolery.

I want something more clear and alive. I want a sound that when you close your eyes, you feel like the band or singer is in front of you.
"Clarity" might come from the speakers (good mid & high frequency response?) and from the recording.

Most of the "soundstage image" comes from the recording, room acoustics, and your brain... There are no specs or measurements for that. It's obviously an illusion with the sound actually coming from a pair of speakers. ;)

Dynamic compression in recordings (the loudness war) takes-away some of the realism.

I think most of us don't want to listen at "realistic-live" listening levels. I wouldn't want the full-sound of a rock band or full orchestra in my living room! Somehow, loud music in a small space makes me feel claustrophobic or somehow uncomfortable... It's nice to have realistic bass you can feel in your body but if you have neighbors they might not enjoy it as much!

Different speakers WILL sound different (better or worse) and the listening room makes a difference. The same goes with headphones & in-ear monitors. If there is an audio/video store nearby it's worth listening to a variety of speakers. You don't have to buy from that store but it will give you an idea of what different speakers sound like.

Active speakers are usually "computer speakers" sold in in computer stores or "active monitors" that are sold in stores that sell musical instruments and professional sound equipment.

Traditional home stereo & home theater still mostly uses passive speakers, except for an active subwoofer. Not all stereo receivers or audio/video receivers have "preamp outputs" for active speakers.

Equalization (bass & treble controls, etc.) can also make a BIG difference in sound.

OP
G

gat3keeper

Thank you for comments

Im currently in Malaysia and here are the speakers available (within budget):

Jamo S801
Wharfedale Diamond 202
Cambridge SX50/SX60
Kanto YU6 (passive)
Elac Debut 5.2
Heco Victa Prime 302
Polk Audio T15
Monitor Audio Bronze 2 (used but $350)

Any suggestion which one to get? I want to listen to live acoustics sessions/live concerts, 80's/90's songs. Not much demo units here so I can't try them all.

Top Bottom