• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

VinyLuke

es, I realize that and I did set the audio settings in Audacity to use 96 kHz sampling but now I'm not sure if it really did that correctly. There really is no distortion data past 10 kHz in my graph. I guess the combination NI Komplete Audio 2 + Audacity is not the most common here and I'm a novice Audacity user so I may be using a wrong interface setting. I did not install Windows ASIO drivers yet since it seemed to work with the standard drivers already. However, there are other settings I can play with...
If you are using windows, you should set recording settings in Windows Settings - Devices - Sound Settings - Input Device Properties - Additional device properties - Advanced and set default format.

stereoplay

Makes it sense to split up the thread?

Going through the pages and search for a specific cartridge is time consuming and some more common cartridges are spread all over the thread.

Why not split it up in this way (e.g):

Denon DL-103 review
AT-VM95SH review

What do you think about my proposal?

JP

Major Contributor
I think the intent was for the index to take people to the relevant measurement posts.

JP

Major Contributor
Audio Technica OC9XML

AT OC9XML_100R_TRS-1007 1B1.png

About one hour on the cartridge. I didn't optimize azimuth - looks like right round -35dB should be attainable.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio Technica OC9XML

View attachment 348361

About one hour on the cartridge. I didn't optimize azimuth - looks like right round -35dB should be attainable.
2nd HD ≈-35 dB at 5 kHz which is excellent. I wonder if this is property of a new stylus of the boron and/or microline/ridge type.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shure V15 Type IV / Jico SAS B

View attachment 347799
It took me a few attempts to understand how the TRS-1007 was recorded and how to mitigate that with the script settings (riaamode = 2, riaainv = 1). I also found that if you record with 96 kHz sampling, the sample with Right channel must be channel swapped but that somehow is not necessary if the recording is done with 44.1 kHz. Apparently the script swaps the channels when it converts to 96 kHz?

Well, in any case the script works well and is quite useful although perhaps not fully intuitive for the beginner. :)

Notes:
  • Turntable: Denon DP-51F
  • Jico SAS B needle is brand new
  • VTF: 1.5 g with damping brush in use (in this unit from Jico, damping works out of the box as it should)
  • Phono stage:
    • RH_RIAA 3.0 (my own design, curve accuracy +/-0.1 dB)
    • Capacitance set to 160 pF, Denon stock cables estimated to have 120 pF ---> 280 pF
    • 47 kOhm
  • A/D: Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2
  • I measured the original Shure MR needle as well and it is still OK with estimated 100 - 150 h of use. I had wrong capacitance settings and too low sampling rate when measuring it so will redo with the same setting as here later on.
I already thought that the Jico SAS B sounds good and works well and this measurement proves it. It seems to be even better than the original MR needle.
Also excellent distortion figures.

Risto_H

Also excellent distortion figures.
Yes, not bad and the FR is quite good. I will repeat the measurement though since I had not figured out that I have to adjust Windows sound device settings as well to capture with 96 kHz. I will do some different capacitances and the original MR needle as well.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Audio Technica OC9XML

View attachment 348361

Beautiful, think that could be my next cartridge after all, better than specs, better than my OC9MLii and 33PTG, What arm and TT.? Found it , now I want that too…
A comparison of JVC and CA test record would be interesting…

Last edited:

aaaakkkk

2nd HD ≈-35 dB at 5 kHz which is excellent. I wonder if this is property of a new stylus of the boron and/or microline/ridge type.

Perhaps the diamond is mounted on the cantilever at the correct angles. AT needs to sell such cartridges at an order of magnitude more expensive :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Risto_H

@mackat very nice results. Interestingly in your measurements we don't see the the azimuth related crosstalk problem. I wonder if different issues of that test record behave differently in this respect? I will pay more attention to the side of the test record next time...

mackat

Forum Donor
@mackat very nice results. Interestingly in your measurements we don't see the the azimuth related crosstalk problem. I wonder if different issues of that test record behave differently in this respect? I will pay more attention to the side of the test record next time...
Thank you! Which crosstalk problem are you referring to? I tried to adjust azimuth visually as best I could with these, and I think I got pretty lucky.

JP

Major Contributor
Found it , now I want that too…

Not quite - it’s an SL-1000MK3. I use the EPA-500 for the utility of the swappable armwand of which I have many.

Top Bottom