• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Amateur Piano Recording This Hard?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Professional recordings sound infinitely better no matter which album I listen to. Any ideas?

Use YouTube to "window shop" and stick to the "prefessional recordings" for enjoyment.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I have all but her early avant garde recordings in the rack.

Escalator Over the Hill (worth a listen) pretty much ended that era (but didn't quite start the next) as she went out more on her own.

A favorite section in that is what I would call the most heinous (for lack of a better word) saxophone solo I can think of, by Pharoah Sanders, but it works.
Thanks - Escalator Over the Hill is unfortunately not really my cup of tea. I prefer her emphatically calm instrumental pieces. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Youtube suggested this video last night which sounds quite nice:

I enjoyed that video. I’ll have to watch it again with the audio unmuted.

Guermantes

Youtube suggested this video last night which sounds quite nice:

I don't see any microphones. So is it recorded in far field?
I think it might be a Disklavier, so a hybrid acoustic+sampled piano. That reverb is definitely not how that room sounds: the piano sounds like it's in a concert hall.

eric-c

Forum Donor
Merriam Music channel on YouTube sells and reviews many pianos and in some of the videos I watched (mostly on how to buy a grand, and grands) they talk about their recording setup. I have recorded many videos of my kid playing for virtual music festivals using a "cheapie" Rode NT-usb mini mic and it is decent as long as you have your PC levels set no higher than 84 on your pc and the mic isn't too close. I find just outside of the opening of big lid on the grand works well. Granted it is not pro level but works well. Although the adjudicators says quality recording is not needed, I believe a higher fidelity recording will bias them in a positive manner.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't see any microphones. So is it recorded in far field?
no... the audio is dubbed onto the picture... the 'tell' is from the downbeat/first note (she doesn;'t have a count in for reference) as well as 0:24 thru 0:44...

who knows where it was recorded - what it was recorded on - or who recorded it?.....

Last edited:

Guermantes

no... the audio is dubbed onto the picture... the 'tell' is from the downbeat/first note (she doesn;'t have a count in for reference) as well as 0:24 thru 0:44...

who knows where it was recorded - what it was recorded on - or who recorded it?.....
It's a Disklavier (basically a digital player piano) -- you can record the performance to a USB stick without microphones. And yes, I do agree she is miming/syncing to some of it because of the multiple camera angles which would mean multiple takes.

thecheapseats

It's a Disklavier (basically a digital player piano) -- you can record the performance to a USB stick without microphones. And yes, I do agree she is miming/syncing to some of it because of the multiple camera angles which would mean multiple takes.
a dsklavier? - have you ever seen one/used one? (I have)... and how could one know that for sure? - from a utoob vid?...
I won't comment on her ummm playing 'technique'...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Merriam Music channel on YouTube sells and reviews many pianos and in some of the videos I watched (mostly on how to buy a grand, and grands) they talk about their recording setup.
Wanted to mention channels like this before as they do make excellent recordings. I must have watched every review he did before purchasing my digital piano.

thecheapseats

...Merriam Music channel on YouTube sells and reviews many pianos and in some of the videos I watched (mostly on how to buy a grand, and grands)...
...I must have watched every review he did before purchasing my digital piano.
all you have to know about buying a grand piano -> pianos have the highest markup of anything in retail, including diamonds... whatever they're asking - start your bid at 52% of the asking price... walk if they want over 60%... a digital piano - add 15% to the previous percentages...

Guermantes

a dsklavier? - have you ever seen one/used one? (I have)... and how could one know that for sure? - from a utoob vid?...
I won't comment on her ummm playing 'technique'...
I checked some other videos on her channel which were a little less overexposed (!) and the control panel to the left of the keyboard, along with the headphone hook underneath, are more visible. I have seen Disklaviers in showrooms in Japan but I'm not much of a piano player (though I've recorded a few).

thecheapseats

I checked some other videos on her channel which were a little less overexposed (!) and the control panel to the left of the keyboard, along with the headphone hook underneath, are more visible. I have seen Disklaviers in showrooms in Japan but I'm not much of a piano player (though I've recorded a few).
as I posted upthread earlier - "if she's actually playing that piano part - I'm a tomato"...

the recording sounds ok - probably the sampled piano sound / maybe the piano itself recorded prior to the shoot (who knows?) - however the performance fakery is simply insulting... it's just more utoob 'not real' showbiz nonsense/crap...

Top Bottom