• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is E1DA Cosmos ADCiso a "decent" Phono-ADC?

wgh52

Hi folks,

the thread title actually really is the question I'm asking myself because my budget is limited.

Now... I'm just occationally using USB-Out as my audio chain is SPDIF connected. In the "E1DA Cosmos ADCiso" review thread was some talk about this ADC having an internal "SPDIF signal pin just needing output circuitry". So, I'd like to ask the experts to kindly elaborate on that.

Well, so actually two questions arose:
1. Is "E1DA Cosmos ADCiso" fairly well usable as Phono ADC, especially fed by a phono-RIAA-preamp?
2. Which circuitry needs to be implemented for koax and or Toslink SPDIF Output (e.g. driver ICs, transformers, ...)

Thanks a lot for your feedback on the questions!
Regards,
Winfried

KSTR

Major Contributor
2. Which circuitry needs to be implemented for koax and or Toslink SPDIF Output
TOSLINK (recommended as it fully isolated) is easy.
SPDIF pin (3.3V logic) ==> some buffer/driver gate (3.3V) ==> TOTX1350(V,F). Level shifting to 5V is not strictly required as forward voltage is 2.1V(max) but a higher voltage gives a more constant current mode of operation of the LED, mitigating tolerances.

SPDIF coaxial also requires driver, then divided down (impedance matched) to SPDIF level (0.5Vpp into 75Ohm) and capacitively coupled to SPDIF transformer. Or skip the transformer. See for example https://sound-au.com/project85.htm

Be aware that you still need USB connection switch sample rates etc and it might even be required to actually read from USB to start ADC data stream and keep it alive (haven't checked since I own Cosmos ADC for just a few days).

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It is a "decent" phono ADC in the same sense that a Ferrari is a "decent" grocery hauler. It can be done, but why? The thing probably has at least 25 dB more dynamic range than you'll ever need for vinyl, and a lot of phonopres aren't necessarily going to be jumping for joy when presented with its input impedance. I mean, you could use the 10 Vrms input range and generally be fine with phonopres that are using decently beefy opamps, or feed it with a headphone amplifier...

It is true that the world is not exactly drowning in good consumer-level ADCs with SPDIF output. Almost nobody needs such a thing these days, not to mention it's also impractical because you have to choose the sample rate on the device itself. It's not like the '90s when you could have requisited a DAT deck. There may well be more options than you'd think, but some thinking outside the box is likely to be required.

OP
W

wgh52

Hi Steph,

you're touching points interesting for me. My phono preamp is a Lehmann Black Cube SE II (with modified PWX supply) which I consider "decent" for my music listening system. But "decent" is basically "undefined" or "individually defined".

So, maybe it would help (not just me) to define: What is a "not decent" ADC for phono in a "decent chain"?
I've found this ADC at Audiophonics with a seemingly low spec and old PCM1804 ADC Chip, but can't judge its quality. The good thing for me is its coax & optical SPDIF output and clocking flexibility. Does this qualify as "not decent"?

I'd value your comments.
Greetings,
Winfried

Top Bottom