• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is EQ'ing headphones worth it?

Is EQ'ing headphones worth it?

• Total voters
OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I get that. I just wonder in real world listening how noticeable that would be
If I just used Oratory's Anniversary Edition EQ then he boosts that quite dip at 3kHz, therefore that would be super magnified on the K702 that doesn't have that dip - that's extremely noticeable, I remember playing around with different dB's that controlled that spot in his EQ and 1 dB change was noticeable....so yes, definitely couldn't have used his Anniversary Edition EQ without modifying it.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Had some new headphones arrive today, Sennheiser HD600. I added Oratory1990's EQ profile to them after listening to them without any EQ profile, I'm undecided at the moment in terms of EQ, but I do appreciate the extra bass that is delivered from the EQ, but it's possible it reduces clarity in the rest of the range, experimented with some 4dB Low Shelfs vs 5dB Low Shelf (which is standard in Oratory EQ), and I think that brought back some more clarity. These are just some quick preliminary impressions as I'm not in the mood for a long session of analytical listening. Nice headphones though, I think they're the best sounding headphones out of the box (no EQ) than any other headphone I've listened to - with AKG K702 and NAD HP50 as my only worthy comparisons. Vocals & instruments in the mid range seem particularly nicely presented. Some more experimentation will be required with EQ to see what brings out the best in them....I was mainly listening to Massive Attack today on them because I wanted to see how the bass EQ would cope so I wasn't really giving the HD600 the best fighting chance listening to that kind of music!

EDIT: EQ made an instant & massive improvement with with my other headphones, AKG K702 and NAD HP50 (HP50 was woolly for instance due to too much bass around 200Hz fixable by EQ), but I think HD600 is so good out of the box that the distinction is more difficult to make, they do need a little more bass, but that's something I'll work out in time.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K702:
fr-stock.png

HD600:
hd600.png

HP50:
fr-hp50.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Part of the dip will be filled in by Pinna gain.

k702-prtf-graph-small.jpg

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/akg/k702

graph
K702.png

This would leave one to believe that there is no dip at all at 3kHz but instead there is a +5dB peak at 2.5kHz where as I measure the peak at +3dB
This peak is what makes the K701/K702 sound 'forward'.
Its the 7kHz peak that needs to be addressed. A small dip isn't as bad as a peak in equal dB's.
Also the sub-bass (below 60Hz) needs a small boost. About +6dB at 20Hz (this including some bass boost somewhat similar to O-W)

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
K702:
fr-stock.png

HD600:
hd600.png

HP50:
fr-hp50.png

graph
View attachment 73873

This would leave one to believe that there is no dip at all at 3kHz but instead there is a +5dB peak at 2.5kHz where as I measure the peak at +3dB
Its the 7kHz peak that needs to be addressed. A small dip isn't as bad as a peak in equal dB's.
Also the sub-bass (below 60Hz) needs a small boost. About +6dB at 20Hz (this including some bass boost somewhat similar to O-W)
All these curves look really quite different to the ones I'm used to seeing on Oratory's pdf e.g. HD600 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0 ) and also Innerfidelity K702 (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/innerfidelity/innerfidelity_harman_over-ear_2018/AKG K702 )? I'm thinking part of that is down to the fact that you're using different scales, and also your measurement gear doesn't have have an artificial ear? Personally I find the scale of the Oratory graphs and Innerfidelity ones I linked more easy & useful to read (but I have used them since Day 1).

Did you post HD600 & K702 to illustrate that HD600 would sound better out of the box like I experienced?

EDIT: I noticed that my HD600 I received today is tuned around Diffuse Field:
IMG_20200717_163708.jpg

Since I like the sound of the HD600 out of the box without EQ then perhaps it would be worth me experimenting with variations on the Diffuse Field EQ, Oratory1990 has one and as we can see it tracks Diffuse Field pretty well:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/upib5ztmte79qpl/Sennheiser HD600 (Diffuse Field).pdf?dl=0
HD600 Diffuse Field.jpg

EDIT: although it doesn't track the Diffuse Field in the bass area very well, and given I like the stock sound of the HD600 I don't think I should take more bass away from it......therefore I might experiment with combining the EQ for the Diffuse Field Treble with the Harman Curve Bass/Mids area. I could do that by exporting the RAW Frequency into REW like I did with my K702. Yeah, so I might take the circled bit from the image following this sentence (Harman Curve Bass/Mids) and combined it with the Diffuse Field treble from above.
HD600 Oratory Harman.jpg

Last edited:

Dreyfus

You cannot EQ above 5kHz using a HATS.
Best to use a flatbed measurement rig for that. It is the reason why I use such a rig with compensation for nearfield usage and LF correction as most HP listening is done well below 80dB average.
Personally, I would'nt trust both. The only technique I would rely on is an insitu measurement.
But I do agree that measurements on a flat plate coupler can be quite consistent for generic applications.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

graph
View attachment 73873

I take it back- just looked on your site- the K7XX (aka a very slightly modified 702 AE) has a HUGE dip at that 3.5k, the K702 has a little dimple.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
All these curves look really quite different to the ones I'm used to seeing on Oratory's pdf e.g. HD600 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0 ) and also Innerfidelity K702 (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/innerfidelity/innerfidelity_harman_over-ear_2018/AKG K702 )? I'm thinking part of that is down to the fact that you're using different scales, and also your measurement gear doesn't have have an artificial ear? Personally I find the scale of the Oratory graphs and Innerfidelity ones I linked more easy & useful to read (but I have used them since Day 1).

Did you post HD600 & K702 to illustrate that HD600 would sound better out of the box like I experienced?

EDIT: I noticed that my HD600 I received today is tuned around Diffuse Field:
View attachment 73879
Since I like the sound of the HD600 out of the box without EQ then perhaps it would be worth me experimenting with variations on the Diffuse Field EQ, Oratory1990 has one and as we can see it tracks Diffuse Field pretty well:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/upib5ztmte79qpl/Sennheiser HD600 (Diffuse Field).pdf?dl=0
View attachment 73880

EDIT: although it doesn't track the Diffuse Field in the bass area very well, and given I like the stock sound of the HD600 I don't think I should take more bass away from it......therefore I might experiment with combining the EQ for the Diffuse Field Treble with the Harman Curve Bass/Mids area. I could do that by exporting the RAW Frequency into REW like I did with my K702. Yeah, so I might take the circled bit from the image following this sentence (Harman Curve Bass/Mids) and combined it with the Diffuse Field treble from above.
View attachment 73881

Diffuse field is incorrect compensation for headphones. This is why O-W started developing their own compensation curve and added the bass enhancement. That extra bass is needed for several reasons. Not everyone, however, needs the same amount of extra bass. This is for several reasons such as age, gender, people listening at lower SPL (here is where equal loudness contours comes in) and preference or people have gotten used to an incorrect reference (speakers with a substantial room-induced) bass boost. O-W compensation lows compensation is based on this.

Pinna effects with DF correction are incorrect for headphones. Also corrections for speakers from in front of you are incorrect.
Also measuring at ones own eardrum is incorrect.
What one needs to know is what the actual driver produces. Not what a 'standard' Pinna and earcanal CHANGE and then subsequently use an incorrect 'correction' based on measurements that differ substantially from an actual headphone situation and then claim it should be done this or that way because a 'standard' tells them to.
A standard is fine if one want to peer review and come to a similar 'result' when measuring acc. to a standard.
But what if the standard is 'off' because the used standard has is not obtained using a standard 'headphone' but based on multiple speakers with certain angles and distances that do not resemble anything like a headphone situation ?

If that were the correct method all headphones measured and EQ'ed would sound exactly the same and I guess we all know they don't.

Yeah, I know the HRTF is blamed because all Pinnae differ. Here is the thing though. When we hear a music (live or otherwise) we never hear it from the side of us. We always here it from in front of us and that's where the Pinna (HRTF in total actually) makes the most difference.
The FR is modified differently when coming from the sides.
Sound from the side is going directly into the ear canal, partially blocked by the Tragus. Look at ears from the side and some Tragus are totally blocking the ear canal and some only partially. This is driver size and diameter dependent as well.

This is where our friend Griesinger comes along and hands us a method where that actually is taken into account. Measurements won't.
With measurements you can (at least the way I measure) actually measure what comes from the driver.
One can argue what kind of 'correction' that needs. Measuring a driver through a bunch of narrow bandfilters (acc to a standard) and 'correcting' them partially with other 'standards' that have no relevance to mimic a headphone isn't exactly the way to go about it. When you want to know what the driver does, measure it's output at the same distance as an ear canal and use the same kind of damping around the microphone as the skin dies.

You are aware that Tyll, from day one because he got incorrect advise, had a completely wrong 'correction' in place. Headroom later made better 'corrections' available. The raw measurements can be used IF you know exactly how these should be compensated. His HATS requires different compensation from what O-W uses so you need to get an exact (and correct for headphones) compensation, which AFAIK, has never been made.
A year before he retired he played with his HATS at Harman to find out what compensation he actually needed.
However, he really didn't want to revisit all of his measurements and as so many 'old (and incorrect) ínfo was already out there he couldn't come up with very different, but correct, FR plots.

You can still use IF plots as comparisons between his measured headphones where you can compare to known (to the listener) headphones.
I believe Jaako uses Tyll's raw plots and applies a different correction. But as I already mentioned, a HATS is not really suited to measure headphones. They are fine for other applications for which the actual 'compensations' are designed.

About scales of plots:
I know there are standards for plots. However, these have too small dB scales which make them seem 'flatter' than they sound to me.
So, again against conventions and standards, made my own 'standard'. Just because I measure headphones for myself and to get correct EQ not so one can overlay with 'standards'.
I mean the bottom plot seems to be a lot 'better' than the one above it, doesn't it ?

scales.png

It is the exact same plot/data, just different dB scales. But if I wanted to EQ to it the upper one tells me more about how it actually sounds and what compensation is needed. This, to me, is far more important than meeting a standard (which I don't consider a real standard)

For electronics and speakers things are different. Certainly for electronics the standards are holy for numerous reasons. Measuring headphones is still in its infancy so I feel it is only fair to make my own 'thing' which is no standard by lack of a real standard.
I mean, overlay ALL measurements of the same headphone made by different folks... they all differ and sometimes well over 10dB.
There is no REAL standard, there are some folks that bombarded something to a (their) standard. Its not the same as an actual standard.

Last edited:
OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Diffuse field is incorrect compensation for headphones. This is why O-W started developing their own compensation curve and added the bass enhancement. That extra bass is needed for several reasons. Not everyone, however, needs the same amount of extra bass. This is for several reasons such as age, gender, people listening at lower SPL (here is where equal loudness contours comes in) and preference or people have gotten used to an incorrect reference (speakers with a substantial room-induced) bass boost. O-W compensation lows compensation is based on this.

Pinna effects with DF correction are incorrect for headphones. Also corrections for speakers from in front of you are incorrect.
Also measuring at ones own eardrum is incorrect.
What one needs to know is what the actual driver produces. Not what a 'standard' Pinna and earcanal CHANGE and then subsequently use an incorrect 'correction' based on measurements that differ substantially from an actual headphone situation and then claim it should be done this or that way because a 'standard' tells them to.
A standard is fine if one want to peer review and come to a similar 'result' when measuring acc. to a standard.
But what if the standard is 'off' because the used standard has is not obtained using a standard 'headphone' but based on multiple speakers with certain angles and distances that do not resemble anything like a headphone situation ?

If that were the correct method all headphones measured and EQ'ed would sound exactly the same and I guess we all know they don't.

Yeah, I know the HRTF is blamed because all Pinnae differ. Here is the thing though. When we hear a music (live or otherwise) we never hear it from the side of us. We always here it from in front of us and that's where the Pinna (HRTF in total actually) makes the most difference.
The FR is modified differently when coming from the sides.
Sound from the side is going directly into the ear canal, partially blocked by the Tragus. Look at ears from the side and some Tragus are totally blocking the ear canal and some only partially. This is driver size and diameter dependent as well.

This is where our friend Griesinger comes along and hands us a method where that actually is taken into account. Measurements won't.
With measurements you can (at least the way I measure) actually measure what comes from the driver.
One can argue what kind of 'correction' that needs. Measuring a driver through a bunch of narrow bandfilters (acc to a standard) and 'correcting' them partially with other 'standards' that have no relevance to mimic a headphone isn't exactly the way to go about it. When you want to know what the driver does, measure it's output at the same distance as an ear canal and use the same kind of damping around the microphone as the skin dies.

You are aware that Tyll, from day one because he got incorrect advise, had a completely wrong 'correction' in place. Headroom later made better 'corrections' available. The raw measurements can be used IF you know exactly how these should be compensated. His HATS requires different compensation from what O-W uses so you need to get an exact (and correct for headphones) compensation, which AFAIK, has never been made.
A year before he retired he played with his HATS at Harman to find out what compensation he actually needed.
However, he really didn't want to revisit all of his measurements and as so many 'old (and incorrect) ínfo was already out there he couldn't come up with very different, but correct, FR plots.

You can still use IF plots as comparisons between his measured headphones where you can compare to known (to the listener) headphones.
I believe Jaako uses Tyll's raw plots and applies a different correction. But as I already mentioned, a HATS is not really suited to measure headphones. They are fine for other applications for which the actual 'compensations' are designed.

About scales of plots:
I know there are standards for plots. However, these have too small dB scales which make them seem 'flatter' than they sound to me.
So, again against conventions and standards, made my own 'standard'. Just because I measure headphones for myself and to get correct EQ not so one can overlay with 'standards'.
I mean the bottom plot seems to be a lot 'better' than the one above it, doesn't it ?

scales.png

But if I wanted to EQ to it the upper one tells me more about how it actually sounds and what compensation is needed. This, to me, is far more important than meeting a standard (which I don't consider a real standard)

For electronics and speakers things are different. Certainly for electronics the standards are holy for numerous reasons. Measuring headphones is still in its infancy so I feel it is only fair to make my own 'thing' which is no standard by lack of a real standard.
I mean, overlay ALL measurements of the same headphone made by different folks... they all differ and sometimes well over 10dB.
There is no REAL standard, there are some folks that bombarded something to a (their) standard. Its not the same as an actual standard.
Thanks for the detailed & thought out response, I appreciate it. That's a lot to take in, and I think I got the majority of it, but I'll need to look at it again with fresh eyes, digest it a bit, then I might ask you some questions.

Dreyfus

Measuring with the mic embedded into a flat plate (w/o pinna and ear canal) will alter the resonant volume and put the capsule into a 180° pressure zone situation. That's not perfect either, just another variation of how the response of a heaphone can be measured.

No matter how you look at it, the only thing you can do is placing the driver into a specific test arrangement and observe how it interacts with its environment. Imo the best way is to measure the headphone in its natural environment: on a human head. By the use of a miniature microphone you can capture both the ear drum and the ear canal entrance response, basically without altering the soundfield the driver has to excite. Using the flat plate method may also remove the pinna resonances. But as already mentioned, it introduces other errors that distort the measurement.

Full agreement!

Last edited:

Shikamon

Measuring with the mic embedded into a flat plate (w/o pinna and ear canal) will alter the resonant volume and put the capsule into a 180° pressure zone situation. That's not perfect either, just another variation of how the response of a heaphone can be measured.

No matter how you look at it, the only thing you can do is placing the driver into a specific test arrangement and observe how it interacts with its environment. Imo the best way is to measure the headphone in its natural environment: on a human head. By the use of a miniature microphone you can capture both the ear drum and the ear canal entrance response, basically without altering the soundfield the driver has to excite. Using the flat plate method may also remove the pinna resonances. But as already mentioned, it introduces other errors that distort the measurement.

Full agreement!

I admit using in ear mic to measure response at the ear drum can be effective, would that make the equal loudness test as done through Gresinger's method to be inferior or just as accurate in generating a good headphone compensation curve? :0

Dreyfus

'Inferior' is a strong word. I would say they - once again - take different approaches and fulfill different purposes. One takes an absolute measure, the other a subjective measure. And as always, the validity depends on the underlying circumstances. An in-situ measurement will be crap when the mic is not properly positioned and calibrated, has a very uneven polar response or is simply too large. A loudness match will be crap when the listener has no intuitive clue of how to move the faders, hence the adjustmens will get very inconsistent. You have to look at it on the whole.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, Flatplate also isn't perfect for several reasons as well.
But if you want to EQ above 5kHz (where most of the nasties are) it is the better method.
Anything below 1kHz is similar to HATS. The method is questionable between 1khz and 5kHz where Pinna gain (frequency alterations)is happening.
But look at the pictures on the bottom of this post. These will differ from person to person.
Admittedly 'a standard' is prefferred in this frequency range but not above 5kHz, yet many people rely on EQ made with an expensive GRAS rig assuming (are convinced) it is accurate because it is 'a standard' and very expensive.
You would have to use a pretty good in-ear that is flush with the ear entrance which rules out a lot of commercial in ears which stick out a bit.
I also experimented with this (of course), this is my attempt (my ear with a WM6A capsule in it.
dscn2405.jpg

As can be seen (photo taken at an angle from the front) is that my Tragus is not (partially) covering the mic.

I found that the results did not correlate at all with what I heard, I picked up some more hum, it was very difficult to get the insert angle correct as well.
It probably is a decent way to map some of the HRTF but that's about it.
measuring the eardrum itself is nigh on impossible because when you stick something in your ear it will change the ear canal diameter and requires very expensive equipment and access to perfectly flat speakers in various positions around you in anechoic conditions to map out the HRTF in a spherical plane. This takes a lot of time.
Simply photographing the Pinna probably isn't enough to do it properly.

For this reason alone Griesinger's method to ascertain the HRTF is quite do-able. It EQ's the headphone itself as well as your HRTF and possible hearing losses in one go.
Of course, Rob is correct that when you use it to EQ only (which you cannot separate) it will be level dependent so you would have to do this with noise bands around 80dB SPL or so (measured around 1kHz band).
It also requires quite a lot of experience. It looks simple how he does this on the video but it isn't when you do this without experience/knowledge.
Of course Griesinger himself has a LOT of experience and knowledge, he is not some rando acting as a know-it-all.

As said, measuring headphones properly is in its infancy despite O-W giving it a proper effort as well as Rtings. Tyll may have started it all.
Too bad he got poor advise from the guys who installed it back then.

some random ear shapes:
ear-collage.jpg

What can be seen is a substantial variance of ear shapes and thus HRTF taken from the side only. Taken from the front they will also differ.
This means there can never be a 'match' with an artificial Pinna and ear canal (these also differ in length, diameter and shape) and a 'standard'.
Regardless of how much money it costs.

This of course is just my take on this. I am not a professional in this field, Analog electronics is.

Last edited:

Shikamon

Thanks for elaborating @P48 and @solderdude! I know experience is really needed when doing process by ear. Especially when going through equal loudness test on headphones.i have done this process countless times for a while now and I have always felt something missing at the end... I believe my troubles are around the treble range after 5kHz like @soldeedude mentioned.

When comparing 500 Hz noise band to 8kHz via headphones, it sounds heavily to the right and fairly loud. Though, when I adjust 8kHz with a high Q filter, it feels centered and equally loud to 500 Hz, but hovering above my head a bit. I'm guessing that there must be a weird resonance happening between 6.3 kHz and 8kHz or even before 10 kHz? I think this is where EQ isn't able to fix something like that. ;u;

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, I don't think that equal loudness matching EQ will result in a flat speaker or headphone full stop
I think it comes down to whether we measured the response at our ear drum or using a mic in middle of air. Another thing regarding flat response might be because we are adapted to our ear shapes, we would found that flat response at our ear drum is not flat from our experience. I am also curious how much the pycho effect can affect us, and if we listen to the real flat response for a long time we might adapt to our new experience.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Flatplate also isn't perfect for several reasons as well.
But if you want to EQ above 5kHz (where most of the nasties are) it is the better method.
Anything below 1kHz is similar to HATS. The method is questionable between 1khz and 5kHz where Pinna gain (frequency alterations)is happening.
But look at the pictures on the bottom of this post. These will differ from person to person.
Admittedly 'a standard' is prefferred in this frequency range but not above 5kHz, yet many people rely on EQ made with an expensive GRAS rig assuming (are convinced) it is accurate because it is 'a standard' and very expensive.
You would have to use a pretty good in-ear that is flush with the ear entrance which rules out a lot of commercial in ears which stick out a bit.
I also experimented with this (of course), this is my attempt (my ear with a WM6A capsule in it.
dscn2405.jpg

As can be seen (photo taken at an angle from the front) is that my Tragus is not (partially) covering the mic.

I found that the results did not correlate at all with what I heard, I picked up some more hum, it was very difficult to get the insert angle correct as well.
It probably is a decent way to map some of the HRTF but that's about it.
measuring the eardrum itself is nigh on impossible because when you stick something in your ear it will change the ear canal diameter and requires very expensive equipment and access to perfectly flat speakers in various positions around you in anechoic conditions to map out the HRTF in a spherical plane. This takes a lot of time.
Simply photographing the Pinna probably isn't enough to do it properly.

For this reason alone Griesinger's method to ascertain the HRTF is quite do-able. It EQ's the headphone itself as well as your HRTF and possible hearing losses in one go.
Of course, Rob is correct that when you use it to EQ only (which you cannot separate) it will be level dependent so you would have to do this with noise bands around 80dB SPL or so (measured around 1kHz band).
It also requires quite a lot of experience. It looks simple how he does this on the video but it isn't when you do this without experience/knowledge.
Of course Griesinger himself has a LOT of experience and knowledge, he is not some rando acting as a know-it-all.

As said, measuring headphones properly is in its infancy despite O-W giving it a proper effort as well as Rtings. Tyll may have started it all.
Too bad he got poor advise from the guys who installed it back then.

some random ear shapes:
ear-collage.jpg

What can be seen is a substantial variance of ear shapes and thus HRTF taken from the side only. Taken from the front they will also differ.
This means there can never be a 'match' with an artificial Pinna and ear canal (these also differ in length, diameter and shape) and a 'standard'.
Regardless of how much money it costs.

This of course is just my take on this. I am not a professional in this field, Analog electronics is.
There's definitely some good points and logic in there, and some insightful explanations including some of the shortcomings of an averaged HRTF. I'm yet to be convinced on Equal Loudness EQ, but don't try to convince me, it's something I might look into more myself. It's a pity that headphone listening is so much more complicated than speaker listening I suppose ultimately by virtue and at the most basic level that it is a more unnatural setup with the sounds being strapped directly to your ears just centimetres away! These Sennheiser HD600 that arrived with me yesterday are great at stock, I might try chilling with the EQ and enjoy them at stock for a while before revisiting EQ'ing them. But I am a proponent for EQ'ing headphones, my EQ experience with AKG K702 and NAD HP50 has been very positive based around Harman Curve EQ, but the HD600 sounds so good to me stock that EQ'ing it seems like it's gonna be a bit more tricky so as not to remove some of it's finer qualities.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tried Oratory's settings on my DT 880. But I couldn't get anything useful out of it above 6 kHz. It is at least 6 dB off and doesn't fix my resonance with the Beyer between 7 kHz and 11 kHz. Still not a bad starting point imo.
I have tried to listen to tone generator after I eq my headphone, I notice that after 6k Hz the sound does have different volume at different frequency. The difference is different for every headphone. Should I try to eq them to same volume using my ears?

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it comes down to whether we measured the response at our ear drum or using a mic in middle of air. Another thing regarding flat response might be because we are adapted to our ear shapes, we would found that flat response at our ear drum is not flat from our experience. I am also curious how much the pycho effect can affect us, and if we listen to the real flat response for a long time we might adapt to our new experience.
Yeah, defintely, a flat frequency response at the ear drum, as in a graph showing dB SPL on the y-axis and frequency on the x-axis....if that were to be a straight line across that whole graph from 20Hz to 20kHz, then that would sound totally shrill and awful to you....so that graph is/should not be flat when measured at the ear drum.....that's due to HRTF effects of your head/body/ear/ear canal as well as the actual perceptual sensitivity of the eardrum itself that influence the strength of the frequencies that arrive at the eardrum and also how the eardrum perceives those frequencies.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
the HD600 sounds so good to me stock that EQ'ing it seems like it's gonna be a bit more tricky so as not to remove some of it's finer qualities.

All it needs is the proper correction for the lows and you could pull down the region between 3k and 5k with about 1dB or so.

Griesinger uses the equal loudness trick as an intermediate step to determine his HRTF. That's why the FR of the speakers is more or less irrelevant.
When you do this at a louder level the equal loudness contour effect of our hearing is less relevant.

Equal loudness contour correction has to be variable and must be calibrated at an actual SPL. This is dependent on voltage efficiency of the headphone, gain of the used amplifier and setting.
The old 'contour' switch on the volume control of older amps did just that. Only worked correctly with the certain speakers. This was integrated in the volume control (it had one or 2 'taps').
The RME also has something similar but digital.

When listening at very low levels it could be a pleasant experience as the bass goes up at lower levels.

You cannot EVER do a fixed 'loudness contour' correction for any headphone. period.
That said, my 'bass' correction in my plots are derived from the difference one mixes to in studios and actual headphone listening.
This usually is done at lower levels (for those with some common sense, so excluding some younger folks that play alarmingly loud)
So this differs from the (steep) bass correction of Harman as that is determined by preferences of many people. Most like some increased bass.
My 'correction' is based on equal loudness contours and my listening habits.
My reasoning is explained here.
f-m-overlayed.png

I know it differs from 'the missing 6dB effect', reasoning for bass boost in room and O-W preference research. I based my theory on equal loudness contours effects which to me makes sense because of my listening habits.
So yes, in the end my bass correction actually is based on equal loudness contours and thus my 'EQ' on this also with similar-ish 'effects' as Golden Ears, O-W and other 'bass' corrections. Correction for lows is essential. My method is just less extreme (in amplitude abd steepness) and to, to me, more logical 'natural' change instead of an unnatural sudden one (GE and O.W.) and far less 'extreme' as Sonarworks.
You don't have to agree though.

The effect comes very close to the tonal balance I get from 'flat' near-field speakers in a large room at 1m distance when switching to headphones that measure 'flat' on MY testrig at levels I can easily sustain for a few hours. That is my goal. Not the ones of other people necessarily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom