• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is SPDIF Cable Length "A Thing?"

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

mansr

Major Contributor
There is no minimum or maximum length specified. If the characteristic impedance is reasonably close to 75 Ω, reflections will not be a problem regardless of length. Too long a cable will of course have enough losses that the signal at the receiver drops out of spec. How long is too long depends on the characteristics of the cable.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The triple-transit issue is when a reflection propagates from the Tx to the Rx, reflects back to the Tx, reflects again and hits the Rx out of phase with the "direct" signal on the wire. Triple-transit times can be important, but unless the system is really, really hosed (messed up) will not create reflections large enough to cause bit (signal) errors. Note the ASR article was originally written almost ten years ago when asynchronous DACs with good clock recovery were less common. Virtually every DAC today has circuits to isolate the DAC circuit itself from the incoming data stream so signal/clock glitches are far less important. They'd essentially have to be large enough to corrupt the incoming data, which would be very large indeed.

Of course, if the system is perfectly matched, there are no reflections, and cable length does not matter (until it is so long that its loss reduces the signal too small to be recovered as @mansr said). In practice, given a buffered data stream as virtually every DAC does these days, it would take an unbelievably (or at least unrealistically) poor connection (large mismatch) to cause errors.

This is a big problem in my day job working with GHz data streams. Not something I worry about in my audio system.

I should update some of those old articles, but lifetime is finite...

Last edited:

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Like so many things digital, as long as the data can be recovered at the receiving end without error, little else matters. This is very much a theoretical issue with little real world significance.

Gradius

YES.

By protocol IEC 61937 never go beyond 10 meters using RG6 cable only (coaxial).

For optical, use GLASS fiber (never plastic crap) and don't go beyond 15 meters.

AES3 on BNC, by other hand, can go as much as 1000m (1km), while balanced (XLR) "just" 100m.

Ricardus

Yes. It's an unbalanced serial protocol. If it was AES/EBU (balanced) you wouldn't have an issue going much longer distances.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Old thread... I probably know the answer, but would two differering lengths matter in terms of phase? Example: One 3m cable from DAC to studio monitor, then one 4.5m from one monitor to the other. I have some nice quality 75ohm Belden so they are definitely in spec, but I'm pretty sure that the 1.5m difference won't matter between the monitors.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Old thread... I probably know the answer, but would two differering lengths matter in terms of phase? Example: One 3m cable from DAC to studio monitor, then one 4.5m from one monitor to the other. I have some nice quality 75ohm Belden so they are definitely in spec, but I'm pretty sure that the 1.5m difference won't matter between the monitors.
No. Electrical transmission is a large fraction of the speed of light, so the difference in delay will be way (way, WAY) below audibility. You can run the numbers assuming 1.5 m difference at say 80% the speed of light in a good cable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom