• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is supposed to be no difference between DAC's, real now? Let me listen to an ES9038Pro and an AKM4499 and I can tell the difference immediately. I only need to hear the bass once.
No we were joking around. We can tell DAC chips apart. Some of us can even tell caps. Those nice and resolving Nichicons are my favourites for casual listening but I prefer Panasonics when mixing.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Somewhere on this site, although not yielding to my search strings, is a listening test with I think up to seven loops of AD/DA conversion.

And here's the result of a lot of ADC/DACs compared via file null comparison.

I think that was one of @Blumlein 88 posts (the 7 gen AD/DA one)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is like a bad sitcom. One guy leaves and the next arrives to illuminate us.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To quote a certain audio salesperson in NJ when I questioned his expensive Ethernet switch: “EVERYTHING affects the sound”.

If only we could hear everything.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To quote a certain audio salesperson in NJ when I questioned his expensive Ethernet switch: “EVERYTHING affects the sound”.

If only we could hear everything.
-300dB, dude.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. You could hear solar flares potentially with that kind of sensitivity.
Forget solar flares. A single molecule of air striking the eardrum will sound like a nuclear explosion going off nearby. Imagine millions of air molecules at the same time... It's unbearable!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is why we have to believe our trolls. They have hearing we can't imagine!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In fairness, only Watts has made the -300db assertion, our latest newcomer has simply made an assertion that would be accepted at face value at any audio dealer and nearly any audio website. This is understandable, unfortunately, and we shouldn’t assign any new beliefs to him.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Somewhere on this site, although not yielding to my search strings, is a listening test with I think up to seven loops of AD/DA conversion.

And here's the result of a lot of ADC/DACs compared via file null comparison.

Well it was 8 generations. I've posted links to it in this thread alone more than once. Here is a post with both 8th generation threads linked.

Baudrillard_J

I'm German, we have the sense of humor surgically removed shortly after birth, kinda like the German version of brit milah.

Ah and now you give me a chance to share my favorite "German" joke:

- How many Germans does it take to change a light bulb?
- One. We are efficient and we have no humor. [with a German accent]
:p

Last edited:

frascati

A little truth in every joke. A bit of wisdom in each new conspiracy theory. A clock dial may be correct twice a day even if it's otherwise dysfunctional. But even that 'truth' is an artifact of our imagination. So you're back to square one.

Anyone's religion touches somewhere into truths that are otherwise beyond our ken, even if 99 percent of such religious awakening is pure trash. But that truth is slippery and ghostly. We sense it's there, and can't help ourselves. We keep searching.

But, again, I think of Iris Dement's wish to let the mystery be. I'll leave most of the searching into the darker corners to others. And thank them later. I'll live a happier life if at some point if I accept my limits...and just enjoy the music.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1682871560921.png

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is supposed to be no difference between DAC's, real now? Let me listen to an ES9038Pro and an AKM4499 and I can tell the difference immediately. I only need to hear the bass once.
He doesn't need any supporting circuitry. He just wired the chips right to his brain.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A little truth in every joke. A bit of wisdom in each new conspiracy theory. A clock dial may be correct twice a day even if it's otherwise dysfunctional. But even that 'truth' is an artifact of our imagination. So you're back to square one.

Anyone's religion touches somewhere into truths that are otherwise beyond our ken, even if 99 percent of such religious awakening is pure trash. But that truth is slippery and ghostly. We sense it's there, and can't help ourselves. We keep searching.

um...how to you know they are 'truths'? Perhaps you should define what constitutes a 'truth'.

I suspect it will be an example of poetry and wishful thinking more than anything else.

Wanman

A well randomized test...
Well randomized is the key. If you only use college students, or only use volunteers at an AES conference, or even if you only use people from the US, it is unlikely they are sufficiently well randomized to represent the population of the world.

Actually the problem is more difficult that it may first seem. A famous and well regarded paper on medical research, although not without some criticism too (and medical research is what this would be): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/

Top Bottom