• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Wanman

Whenever Watts' -300 to -400db claim comes up, I'm reminded of this scene
You do understand that Watts is talking about numerical precision as measured in the digital domain only, not anything analog?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You do understand that Watts is talking about numerical precision as measured in the digital domain only, not anything analog?
Does that matter? He claims it’s audible, so whatever it does should then also be embedded in the analog signal somehow.

Wanman

Does that matter? He claims it’s audible, so whatever it does should then also be embedded in the analog signal somehow.
It might matter because he said he doesn't know why its audible. IOW, it could be that whatever is audible is correlated with the calculational precision. Watts likes to use very long digital filters. In that case, or for other calculations Watts may be doing (perhaps for his 17th order modulator) numerical errors may accumulate merely because of the large number of calculations. If using 64-bit math actually does turn out to sound better than using 32-bit math then it could be due to accumulated errors.

Its not unheard of for such problems to occur in some cases. One randomly selected paper in the general subject area: https://arxiv.org/html/physics/9807003

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I remember him claiming it was the *effects* of the -300dB that were audible, but of course we eejits listening to the lecture have no means of proving it. I was worried that one or two fellow audients were lapping it all up and nodding sagely as if they know what the eff he was talking about. he makes it so convincing though, yet all this better reproduction of reverb tails, 'room boundaries' and such-like are removed by their amps it increasingly appears after hearing some dire sounds at the weekend again...

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It might matter because he said he doesn't know why its audible. IOW, it could be that whatever is audible is correlated with the calculational precision. Watts likes to use very long digital filters. In that case, or for other calculations Watts may be doing (perhaps for his 17th order modulator) numerical errors may accumulate merely because of the large number of calculations. If using 64-bit math actually does turn out to sound better than using 32-bit math then it could be due to accumulated errors.

Its not unheard of for such problems to occur in some cases. One randomly selected paper in the general subject area: https://arxiv.org/html/physics/9807003
Just to be sure, Rob the atomic clock claims there is no limit to how accurate smalls signals needs to be, and that this explains why pure copper cables produce better depth perception and presumably better soundstage. Here is a screen shot of his slide. You are claiming there might be some truth to this? I would love to understand better.

1682957814248.png

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

By the way he also claims his 9 year old son could tell the difference between a 120db DAC and 150db DAC while watching Shaun the Sheep on TV. If you have any explanations for that, I'd love to hear that too.

Wanman

By the way he also claims his 9 year old son could tell the difference between a 120db DAC and 150db DAC while watching Shaun the Sheep on TV. If you have any explanations for that, I'd love to hear that too.
Maybe he was measuring the wrong things? Sigma delta DACs have dynamic distortion/noise effects that don't occur in other types of audio gear. What looks like noise on an FFT can be a non-PSS deterministic signal that sounds ugly. It may take some review of how DFTs work to see how that can happen, although to put it in simple terms a non-PSS signal changing over the time an FFT is acquired may have its energy spread across bins. Thus it may not appear as a distinct spur. Not sure if Watts was measuring everything that could be measured when he described the dacs his son was said to be able to discriminate.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to be sure, Rob the atomic clock claims there is no limit to how accurate smalls signals needs to be, and that this explains why pure copper cables produce better depth perception and presumably better soundstage. Here is a screen shot of his slide. You are claiming there might be some truth to this? I would love to understand better.

View attachment 282800
That really is a collection of nonsense. I wonder if he believes it.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True. But that doesn't mean the claim is automatically false either.
What to do? Believe something that is ridiculously unlikely and that he hasn’t actually demonstrated? Or defer to the microscopic possibility that it might be true and shift the burden of proof to others?

Hmmm.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Once again if falls to us to (dis)prove something ridiculous. I think I've heard this one before.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The people who are extremely confident about these things never go out of their way to prove them.
That's our job, apparently. I mean, Galileo made somebody else prove his conjectures. All great science works that way :facepalm:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe he was measuring the wrong things? Sigma delta DACs have dynamic distortion/noise effects that don't occur in other types of audio gear. What looks like noise on an FFT can be a non-PSS deterministic signal that sounds ugly. It may take some review of how DFTs work to see how that can happen, although to put it in simple terms a non-PSS signal changing over the time an FFT is acquired may have its energy spread across bins. Thus it may not appear as a distinct spur. Not sure if Watts was measuring everything that could be measured when he described the dacs his son was said to be able to discriminate.
Did you watch the video in which he makes these claims?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That really is a collection of nonsense. I wonder if he believes it.
I think he believes it's the only card he can play to distinguish his (and let's not fanny around saying he has no stake other than consultants fee in Chord DACs, they are his ) products from any other competent DAC.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think he believes it's the only card he can play to distinguish his (and let's not fanny around saying he has no stake other than consultants fee in Chord DACs, they are his ) products from any other competent DAC.
Well, he got people on the internet to harass us about it. So that's success. I guess.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What to do? Believe something that is ridiculously unlikely and that he hasn’t actually demonstrated? Or defer to the microscopic possibility that it might be true and shift the burden of proof to others?

Hmmm.
Personally I choose to believe in the teapot. :rolleyes:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom