• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a better way to set this up? Music with no internet

barry59

Hi - new member....discussions here I find fabulous and informative. I am setting up a 2-channel music "system" in a garage without internet. Set up consists of a Yamaha S301 amp and Yamaha CD S303 CD player, an Auris Blume BT Adapter that I think will allow Pandora streaming from my phone, and an HP laptop with a ton of music stored on it. I've run the laptop not connected to the internet, played music through Windows Media Player. I've got the laptop connected to a Project USB Box S DAC that goes into the amp. Is there a better alternative for the music storage/playing than the HP laptop/Window Media Player combination? Thanks in advance!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Is there a better alternative for the music storage/playing than the HP laptop/Window Media Player combination? Thanks in advance!
That's fine. The sound quality will be determined by the files (avoid low-quality low-bitrate MP3, etc., if possible) and by the quality of your speakers/headphones (and with speakers the acoustics of your garage).

I use Winamp as my audio player software. It's "outdated" but I'm used to it there's an optional crossfader that I like to use.

foobar2000 is popular and configurable and there are others. It just depends on your preference.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's in range, the laptop Wifi may be helpful for one stop shopping for streaming. Musicbee is a nice alternative to media player, just tons more options available.

OP
B

barry59

Thanks for your replies, will check out the suggestions.

Top Bottom