• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a way I can ACCURATELY measure how loud my music is, to protect my hearing, WITHOUT needing to buy expensive test equipment?

Quinton595

Hello everyone,

I'm always worried that I'm listening to my music too loud, because my volume levels are just arbitrary percentages at the source, not decibels at the drivers.

I would love to measure my music to see how loud I can set it while still remaining under 80 db.

I know that, in a perfect world, I would own a testing head/bust that would simulate a human head and ear canal, and measure the true loudness of my music at the actual eardrum, taking into account proper fit and seal of the headphone's earpads, and so on. Obviously, though, I can't be buying all this kind of gear just for one test.

Is there some other way to measure loudness that will actually be accurate, though? I assume that just holding a regular dB meter a few centimeters away from my headphone drivers won't be accurate at all.

FWIW, I have mild tinnitus from childhood, so I can't just rely on the old adage of "if your ears are ringing, it's too loud". My ears are always ringing.

Thank you!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Ask your neighbours if they can hear your music. If the answer is no, it's not loud enough.
Uh, for headphones, John? Just how the heck loudly do you listen? :D

@Quinton595 : As for the question of loudness, I have seen some fairly cheap headphone busts for measurements, but they were still a few hundred dollars (USD). This is not my field, but in the primordial past I built a very simple test rig using a thick plastic cutting board and a simple "C" clamp. I cut (hole drill) a hole in the cutting board that the mic of my SPL meter would fit, and used some rubber gasket material to provide a tight seal around the mic's housing. (Not too tight, don't want to break it!) I used the clamp to press one side of the headphones onto the other side of the boards so the SPL mic was essentially in the same plane as my (or any) head. This was not necessarily valid for frequency response, no ear structure, but was suitable (IMO) for loudness measurements. Looked something like this:

1714014656201.png

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
You are asking if you can measure a headphone's SPL at your eardrum accurately without expensive test equipment? It depends on what you mean by "expensive". You can use a pair of binaural mics and it will get you closer, or a pair of deep insert mics if you want to get as close as possible.

Putter

Forum Donor
Are your ears ringing afterward like after you attended a loud concert? Do you find yourself turning up the volume AFTER you thought you had it at a comfortable level which is a sign that your brain is screaming "Turn it Down!" Personally I feel congestion in my ears if I listened to music at too high a volume.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
ummm i dont get this

like i used to play music at high levels when no one was home and i was on a huge block

but these days you can get SPL apps and spl meters have been chump change

get those if you want a guage on spl

but most of us have gear that will exceed safe hearing levels CLEANLY... i mean a decent 100w amp on avg. speakers like 85dB plus would exceed most domestic uses

Axo1989

Major Contributor
ummm i dont get this

like i used to play music at high levels when no one was home and i was on a huge block

but these days you can get SPL apps and spl meters have been chump change ...

Pretty much. If you have an iPhone then an app like Decibel X will be sufficiently accurate for measurements at your listening position. That app has a dosimeter which allows you to track exposure over time vs several health standards. Keep in mind that exposure time is critical, not just peak and/or average levels. Android phone models have more variability so default calibrations may have larger error bars, but I'd say likely generally sufficient to try out.

Edit: see my post below, for some reason I missed that the subject was measuring output from headphones, so the above is no use for that, apologies.

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Err on the side of caution. If you think it's too loud...it's probably too loud!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hello everyone,

I'm always worried that I'm listening to my music too loud, because my volume levels are just arbitrary percentages at the source, not decibels at the drivers.

I would love to measure my music to see how loud I can set it while still remaining under 80 db.

I know that, in a perfect world, I would own a testing head/bust that would simulate a human head and ear canal, and measure the true loudness of my music at the actual eardrum, taking into account proper fit and seal of the headphone's earpads, and so on. Obviously, though, I can't be buying all this kind of gear just for one test.

Is there some other way to measure loudness that will actually be accurate, though? I assume that just holding a regular dB meter a few centimeters away from my headphone drivers won't be accurate at all.

FWIW, I have mild tinnitus from childhood, so I can't just rely on the old adage of "if your ears are ringing, it's too loud". My ears are always ringing.

Thank you!

When you know the gain of your amplifier, know the output voltage of your DAC, have a PC that has a volume control that has digital volume control in dB, and know the sensitivity of your headphone (manufacturers data is often wrong or only gives efficiency numbers) you can calculate the peak levels you may encounter.
How loud the average levels are and how that compares to dBA (which the usual 'loudness scales' are built on) depends on the recording.

Not all ears are equally sensitive to loudness. I mean my son (mild autism) can't stand loud noises and plays at max. levels that are 'soft levels' to me.
Sometimes I hear the earbuds of people passing by pretty loudly meaning they listen at very high levels and enjoy it.

I consider my hearing as 'standard' and measured music and related that to how I perceived that. One could use it as a rough guide.

When it sounds loud to you it probably is loud. Also... one tends to play headphones louder than speakers. Headphones can easily reach 120dB+ in SPL with speakers this is a tall order. Also consider that the lack of tactical feel is often compensated by turning up the volume and or bass levels.

Cheap SPL meters or even phones (with SPL meter apps) can give you an indication of peak levels.
For this you need to seal the front volume and you need to play a 1kHz tone recorded at 0dB and set the volume control to your preferred level using music.
Once you have played the song and want to know the peak level you play the tone and measure SPL. Then use the website 'DR database' and look up the song that you used to set the volume. There you can find the dynamic range of that song.
When you measured 90dB with your meter and the DR of that song is 8 you were probably listening to 82dB average levels.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It's certainly tricky with headphones. If you have an iPhone and some speakers, you can measure what sounds loud to you in a room with the NIOSH app. This will a give a sense of what volume you are listening to when wearing headphones. But be aware that the lower distortion of headphones vs loudspeakers may mean you are listening louder than you realise.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

What? Can't hear you.

I realised after typing, but figured... ;)

A bit like those clown kids on the train/bus/plane with their headphones so loud other passengers can hear it super clearly.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
It's certainly tricky with headphones. If you have an iPhone and some speakers, you can measure what sounds loud to you in a room with the NIOSH app. This will a give a sense of what volume you are listening to when wearing headphones. But be aware that the lower distortion of headphones vs loudspeakers may mean you are listening louder than you realise.

Oh crap, headphones, I should've read more carefully.

OP
Quinton595

Quinton595

@Quinton595 : As for the question of loudness, I have seen some fairly cheap headphone busts for measurements, but they were still a few hundred dollars (USD). This is not my field, but in the primordial past I built a very simple test rig using a thick plastic cutting board and a simple "C" clamp. I cut (hole drill) a hole in the cutting board that the mic of my SPL meter would fit, and used some rubber gasket material to provide a tight seal around the mic's housing. (Not too tight, don't want to break it!) I used the clamp to press one side of the headphones onto the other side of the boards so the SPL mic was essentially in the same plane as my (or any) head. This was not necessarily valid for frequency response, no ear structure, but was suitable (IMO) for loudness measurements. Looked something like this:

View attachment 365716
Hey, thank you very much for the diagram. This is definitely an approach I can take. I guess I was just worried about whether a standard SPL meter is really meant for taking measurements of small, point-sources of sound, as I've only ever seen them used for sampling large open areas, or big sound-emitting objects like engines.

Because I intend to stay well below the 85 dB limit, I don't necessarily need measurements that are down to one-dB precision. If my meter is reading 85, I'd back the volume off until it reads 75 and then use that as my maximum. That way, even if I'm off by 3, 4, 5 dB, I've still got headroom for setting my max volume level. Thank you!

You are asking if you can measure a headphone's SPL at your eardrum accurately without expensive test equipment? It depends on what you mean by "expensive". You can use a pair of binaural mics and it will get you closer, or a pair of deep insert mics if you want to get as close as possible.

I tried searching for "Deep Insert Mic" but it doesn't seem to return anything. Per my reply to DonH56's post, above, I guess my primary concern was whether a standard SPL meter is really intended or accurate for measuring point-sources of sound, as I've only ever seen them used to record large open spaces, or large sound-emitting objects like engines.

How about a dose of common sense? If it sounds loud, it's probably too loud.

uhh... no? I mean, can you tell exactly what temperature your bath water is, down to the degree, just by how it feels? No. You only know it was too hot after you get burned. Sure, in theory, you would start to experience pain at some point before that, and would know to back off, but that's where the analogy breaks down. With sound, you don't get pain at 80 dB, you don't get pain at 85 dB, or even at 90. Pain doesn't typically start until around 115-120 dB, so you don't get that kind of heads-up.

"Oh, so then just stop before your ears start ringing" ... like I said in my post, I have tinnitus, my ears are ALWAYS ringing. They ring heavily after listening to music set to 20/100 volume on Windows 10. I don't think that's a good gauge, either.

When you know the gain of your amplifier, know the output voltage of your DAC, have a PC that has a volume control that has digital volume control in dB, and know the sensitivity of your headphone (manufacturers data is often wrong or only gives efficiency numbers) you can calculate the peak levels you may encounter.
How loud the average levels are and how that compares to dBA (which the usual 'loudness scales' are built on) depends on the recording.

Not all ears are equally sensitive to loudness. I mean my son (mild autism) can't stand loud noises and plays at max. levels that are 'soft levels' to me.
Sometimes I hear the earbuds of people passing by pretty loudly meaning they listen at very high levels and enjoy it.

I consider my hearing as 'standard' and measured music and related that to how I perceived that. One could use it as a rough guide.

When it sounds loud to you it probably is loud. Also... one tends to play headphones louder than speakers. Headphones can easily reach 120dB+ in SPL with speakers this is a tall order. Also consider that the lack of tactical feel is often compensated by turning up the volume and or bass levels.

Cheap SPL meters or even phones (with SPL meter apps) can give you an indication of peak levels.
For this you need to seal the front volume and you need to play a 1kHz tone recorded at 0dB and set the volume control to your preferred level using music.
Once you have played the song and want to know the peak level you play the tone and measure SPL. Then use the website 'DR database' and look up the song that you used to set the volume. There you can find the dynamic range of that song.
When you measured 90dB with your meter and the DR of that song is 8 you were probably listening to 82dB average levels.

Beauuuuutiful, thank you for all this information Solderdude! I will definitely take the mathematical approach once I have my DAC/Amp situation sorted.

I'm not so worried about stimulation or what a given volume level FEELS like, I just want to avoid exceeding 75-80 dB purely to prevent volume-related hearing loss over the course of my life. Because of the tinnitus, I can't really judge what's too loud, as even very quiet music makes my ears ring. Even silence does.

Thank you for the information on how to use the SPL accurately. I will definitely refence your post when I build the rig DonH56 described, above.

Oh, neat, is that an actual, sanctioned, NIOSH-certified app?

What? Can't hear you.

I realised after typing, but figured... ;)

A bit like those clown kids on the train/bus/plane with their headphones so loud other passengers can hear it super clearly.
I have a feeling you look like your profile pic in real life.... :p

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Aussie neighbors....

I found kangaroos slightly intimidating to begin with, but never realized they had claws like that! :eek:

1714115401853.png

Reactions: GDK

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I believe that all of the OSHA guidance for sound levels is free field loudness and not measured at ear canal on a simulated head.

If you have an iPhone, the NIOSH Sound Level Meter App is quite reasonably accurate and free.

Of course, a UMIK-1 isn’t that expansive and is even more accurate.

edit: I see that I am not the first person to mention the NIOSH app.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'd be careful using the OSHA guidelines for music listening. If you read the actual OSHA docs, their levels are meant to retain the ability to converse as we get older, not to discern fine musical nuances and such over a wide range of dynamics and frequencies. They are very much an upper bound for those who want to retain our hearing through the years.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
This wouldn't be perfect (and it won't give you A-weighting*) but it you have a sensitivity spec, I'd get an analog multimeter to measure the voltage. (Digital meters are pretty-useless with constantly-changing audio whereas the inertial of the analog meter tends to smooth-out the reading, giving reasonable-useable moving average.) A short-term average is what you want anyway. (Make sure to get a meter that can read below 1VAC.)

You'd need to rig-up an adapter... Maybe a Y-splitter so you can plug-in your headphones at the same time. (Getting a connection to your meter is probably the hardest part.)

You can set-up a spreadsheet to make the calculations. (You may have to research the formulas.) If the sensitivity is given in mW, the first thing is to convert that to voltage (which depends on the impedance). That's just a one-time calculation.

Then when you calculate dB, you're going to be calculating the dB difference, so the last thing in your formula will be addition.

Here's an easy made-up example:
Let's say your headphones are rated for 90dB at 1V. So 1V is your reference. You may know that a voltage factor of two is a 6dB difference so I'll show the SPL calculation at 2V.

If you are measuring 2V, your calculation would be 20 x log(2/1) = 6dB. 9+6 = 96dB SPL

...Or if you read 0.5V, you'd calculate -6dB, and adding -6 to 90 gives 84dB SPL.

* Without A-weighting, bass will read "louder" than it actually is. ...Highs will also read louder than they are, but with regular program material the highs are weaker than bass & midrange so that won't mess-up your readings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom