• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any budget DAC for DSD1024?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlovesmusic

Curious, what made trying something like some strange dsd upsampling scheme valid to your way of thinking initially?
You have a choice not to do upsample or convert to dsd on the fly with it if you don’t want to.

Curious what made it so hard for many here to spend a couple of minutes and give it a try?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also not much of a reason not to try it. Especially thousands out there try it and reported it’s rock solid AND it’s free to try
LOL thousands? Seriously? This sounds so very limited weird geeky stuff. Upsampling in the first place, seriously? You just prefer deluding yourself?

GNK

It's embarrassing to see thread like this on ASR.
1. Your personal experience, tainted with all sorts of preconceived notions and biases, means nothing. blind tests, preferably double-blind tests, are the basis for objective and statistically significant claims.
2. Well-designed double-blind tests by scientists have not shown any significant difference between PCM and DSD. PCM also makes no difference to the human ear above 44.1khz.
3. The fact that you can try it for free and it produces prettier graphs (which you probably saw in the marketing) does not translate into an argument that you should do it.

dlovesmusic

LOL thousands? Seriously? This sounds so very limited weird geeky stuff. Upsampling in the first place, seriously? You just prefer deluding yourself?
Please check out the number of threads and responses dedicated to hqplayer on the roon forum alone.

Not to mention other audio forums such as. Audiophile style where there are at least a couple hundred thread topic along some reaches 1300 pages of response

dlovesmusic

Please note I have never argued here there is any sonic benefits or not with dsd upsampling here. I simply don’t get why people need to hate something they don’t bother to try, be it a file format or a program that does music playback along with network capabilities. And why people need to feel embarrassed to see other people liking a music playback app on ASR

OP
sunjam

sunjam

Anyway back on topic. Budget dac that supports dsd1024 - that depends on what’s considered a “budget dac”. The cheapest I can think of is maybe the denafrips aris?
Just look at DSD512 now. Because of the chip based solution, it is available for around $50. I just did a simple search with amazon with the lowest price for DSD512 DAC. (Amazon.com: Sabaj D4 Desktop Bluetooth DAC Headphone Amplifier Remote Control Stereo Amp Support Bluetooth Optical Coaxial USB Input HiFi DSD512 PCM768 AK4452 BT4.2 : Electronics).

A product like E30 II (if it could support DSD1024) would be an ideal candidate for a good quality budget DSD1024 DAC (provided that it's various measurements are similar to DSD512)

Based on my own findings, it looks that DSD1024 may not be ready yet probably because of the USB bridge chip (XMOS, etc). One of the link (Isolated XMOS 768kHz DXD DSD512(DSD1024) high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB Type-C (diyinhk.com)) that sell XMOS chips solution said "*DSD512 only support in native mode (for windows requires >=v3 driver version) and DSD1024 theoretically work in our laboratory test condition."... Hmm... interesting footnote.

GNK

Please note I have never argued here there is any sonic benefits or not with dsd upsampling here. I simply don’t get why people need to hate something they don’t bother to try, be it a file format or a program that does music playback along with network capabilities. And why people need to feel embarrassed to see other people liking a music playback app on ASR

Why should people try something meaningless?
In order to convince people that they should do something, you MUST show that the new thing is in some way beneficial over what is already widely used.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Please stop misrepresenting the arguments. Nobody tells you you’re silly for using a, for you, handy app.

dlovesmusic

Why should people try something meaningless?
In order to convince people that they should do something, you MUST show that the new thing is in some way beneficial over what is already widely used.
Post in thread 'Is there any budget DAC for DSD1024?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...any-budget-dac-for-dsd1024.53283/post-1930218

Please see my previous comment, I find it rock solid because it does everything I need in an all in one solution, if it’s not something beneficial to you it could be beneficial to others…?

Tonnes of stuff not particularly new and may not be beneficial to others get talked about it here - a Vu meter just for the look and it cost almost as much as the hqp app that manages my entire home 4 digital audio system?

OP
sunjam

sunjam

Sorry, I'm not up to date with all the audiophile foibles. Are you saying it's not important anymore to keep the PC as idle as possible?
Yes, it is very important. That's why some people use NAA.

Basically, PC (with HQPlayer) doing upsampling ===> network ===> NAA (another, probably weak PC or even RPi) ===> DAC ===> the usual path for output.

My PC is pretty noise as I need it to run another things, so I am using my Mac as NAA for playing DSD256 file. It is very good.

I was lucky that I got a PC with a dedicated GPU (RTX4050), the GPU helps to do some computation as HQPlayer is quite CPU intensive (for certain modulation setting)

Setting up NAA sounds difficult (may be for someone who is going to setup headless computer for pure NAA usage). For my case, it is simple, just run a program on Mac (no config at all) and that's it.

OP
sunjam

sunjam

Post in thread 'Is there any budget DAC for DSD1024?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...any-budget-dac-for-dsd1024.53283/post-1930218

Please see my previous comment, I find it rock solid because it does everything I need in an all in one solution, if it’s not something beneficial to you it could be beneficial to others…?

Tonnes of stuff not particularly new and may not be beneficial to others get talked about it here - a Vu meter just for the look and it cost almost as much as the hqp app that manages my entire home 4 digital audio system?

In terms of cost, IMO, it is the cheapest thing you could get that really having some impact (for me it is good impact) to your music. The closely analogy may be liking spending a 100 USD to upgrade from your cheap labtop in-built DAC (Realtek's) to like E30.

Regarding PCM vs DSD discussion, I just got a feeling like class D amp vs non-class D amp discussion.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Basically, PC (with HQPlayer) doing upsampling ===> network ===> NAA (another, probably weak PC or even RPi) ===> DAC ===> the usual path for output.

My PC is pretty noise as I need it to run another things, so I am using my Mac as NAA for playing DSD256 file. It is very good.

I was lucky that I got a PC with a dedicated GPU (RTX4050), the GPU helps to do some computation as HQPlayer is quite CPU intensive (for certain modulation setting)

Setting up NAA sounds difficult (may be for someone who is going to setup headless computer for pure NAA usage). For my case, it is simple, just run a program on Mac (no config at all) and that's it.
So how did you differentiate for comparison these upsampling results?

dlovesmusic

Please stop misrepresenting the arguments. Nobody tells you you’re silly for using a, for you, handy app.
Well my stance throughout this thread is that I know there’s not been sufficient objective evidence on dsd upsampling making sonic differences and I never bother to argue in this. I only suggest people to try if for themselves. Hqplayer is a rock solid program regardless of its upsampling capabilities or not. As indicated in my posts for my actual use cases. If people try the free program and subjectively like the sound quality, that’s icing on the cake…

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a lot of fun and feel relaxed listening to music with my setup.
And that's great, really. But you were asking for a reason why not to try it. Well, "trying it" may be not fun and relaxing for some people.

I'll admit my response is a bit tongue in a cheek. I find it somewhat amusing that some audiophiles seem to be surprised that trying some dubious stuff may be just as "not fun" to other people, as ABX is to them.

Ah, the plot thickens. So "all you need is" is not as simple as it initially sounded ;)

dlovesmusic

And that's great, really. But you were asking for a reason why not to try it. Well, "trying it" may be not fun and relaxing for some people.

I'll admit my response is a bit tongue in a cheek. I find it somewhat amusing that some audiophiles seem to be surprised that trying some dubious stuff may be just as "not fun" to other people, as ABX is to them.

Ah, the plot thickens. So "all you need is" is not as simple as it initially sounded ;)
Understandable re: reasoning for not trying. Again I am not here to make enemies. I simply honestly felt it is a rock solid program that does a lot of things right at least for me, hence the recommendation.

Everything is run headless. I get my kids to bed, go downstairs turn on the amp and I get music with a touch of my phone.

Time to bed, I go upstairs, turn on the amp and I get music play through the night again with a touch of my phone.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I only suggest people to try if for themselves.
200w.gif

What a strange thread.
There seems to have been a lot of DSD threads and posts recently... seems to happen every now and then. Funny, they always like talking about that upsampling software one has to purchase.

JSmith

dlovesmusic

200w.gif

There seems to have been a lot of DSD threads and posts recently... seems to happen every now and then. Funny, they always like talking about that upsampling software one has to purchase.

JSmith
Ya I also wonder why so many people talk about that one specifically as well.

I felt sound quality aside, it’s rock solid and does a lot of things right for me. I know many others talk about sound quality specifically which I am not going to chime in (I know this is asr)

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Well my stance throughout this thread is that I know there’s not been sufficient objective evidence on dsd upsampling making sonic differences and I never bother to argue in this.
I know. Again, nobody is denying this.

I only suggest people to try if for themselves.
Yes and that is what is being challenged. And when this happens, you start talking about how handy your PCM - DSD conversion app is for everything other than the conversion itself. Which is good for you, but it is also a different subject.

dlovesmusic

I know. Again, nobody is denying this.

Yes and that is what is being challenged. And when this happens, you start talking about how handy your PCM - DSD conversion app is for everything other than the conversion itself. Which is good for you, but it is also a different subject.
Then it looks like all of us are going off topic really. Op is only asking for any budget dac that supports dsd1024, the answer is no and that should be the end of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom