• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF KC92 and Kube MIE subwoofers

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, would make more sense a stack of subs in a mid range series.

Oddball

Why would you need a stacking kit if these subs are not supposed to be moving anyway? Probably might actually be needed which is not that great if you want to stack them on top of some other sub with similar design that is actually not moving at all?

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why would you need a stacking kit if these subs are not supposed to be moving anyway? Probably might actually be needed which is not that great if you want to stack them on top of some other sub with similar design that is actually not moving at all?
Because they can sell 200€ metal joints to rich audiophiles this way

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Suppose the stacking kit is for safety so you don’t bump into the stack and and get one your foot or chihuahua .
Or small children would topple these and get hurt .

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Suppose the stacking kit is for safety so you don’t bump into the stack and and get one your foot or chihuahua .
Same as these things you get with a bookshelf to for the same purpose .

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
435075949_938303538297459_8297536691948327451_n.jpg

People start to stack them
Stack KC92 from FB

Pd: I have always wonder if having a dual opposed sub like that affect the next cabinet, in this case the R7 META

PetaBass

This is a pretty good test with a few measurements. It shows that from 20 Hertz to 50-60 Hertz, it rises together to 98 decibels, before that, the DSP pulls up the 50-60 range. Unfortunately, the video did not mention the musical performance, which was a pity to omit because the KC92 is more of an audiophile subwoofer, not a slow-dynamic, boomy movie box. Starting from the predecessor KF92, this is likely to be a fast, tight, accurate-sounding thing as well.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
We actually have a house . Living room with the subs and LS60 is aprox 5.5m*3m 17 sqm ( 2.4 meters in heigth ), but with large openings to other areas of the house which is fairly open and some walls and roof construction is a bit lossy I sit 2.7 meters from the speakers who are 2.4 meters apart .
This is medium sized living room in sweden :) probably a shoe closet in the US ?
My living room is a bit smaller. The KC62 in there is adequate, but I'll probably repace It with a 92 at some point. The 62 can be moved to a smaller studio room in the house, so nothing is lost.

It's interesting that KEF promotes this stack in a setup with the KEF Blade Meta. I would rather expect seeing their Reference Subs next to the Blades but maybe I'm just interpreting too much into that CGI picture.
I think KEF probably considers them "outdated", hence why going for the more recent KC92.

This is a pretty good test with a few measurements. It shows that from 20 Hertz to 50-60 Hertz, it rises together to 98 decibels, before that, the DSP pulls up the 50-60 range. Unfortunately, the video did not mention the musical performance, which was a pity to omit because the KC92 is more of an audiophile subwoofer, not a slow-dynamic, boomy movie box. Starting from the predecessor KF92, this is likely to be a fast, tight, accurate-sounding thing as well.

That distinction is artificial. Signals ar signals. It does not matter if it´s the tank threads rumbling in Fury or an organ piece from Bach.

Since Joe drops by this forum sometimes, I´d like to send him a thanks for providing us with numbers! By 7:30 you get some umik measurements and even if not the most accurate, you can get a sense of what the subwoofer actually does.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes. The top surface of the bottom sub is slick and the rubbery feet of the top sub have really small contact points. It would be easy to dislodge the top one without the kit (especially if you stack three).

ban25

Great review! I'll be pulling the trigger on this soon. Since I have the KF92 already, I'll try some A/B sweeps in REW.

Oddball

Yes. The top surface of the bottom sub is slick and the rubbery feet of the top sub have really small contact points. It would be easy to dislodge the top one without the kit (especially if you stack three).
Many thanks for your insight. If stacking only one on top of a fixed surface, one should not expect the movements despite the small point of contact? (Which would be my use case, albeit fixed surface is Arendal 1723 2V sub - but that one is as good as fixed surface, but with limited boundaries)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Many thanks for your insight. If stacking only one on top of a fixed surface, one should not expect the movements despite the small point of contact? (Which would be my use case, albeit fixed surface is Arendal 1723 2V sub - but that one is as good as fixed surface, but with limited boundaries)
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
almost 100dB 20hz for 1 small sub with warranty cabinet working, is very good, two of these is plenty even for movies in normales spaces, not dedicated music thx theater

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder what the difference in processing delay is between KC92 and KF92 and how it will impact the integration with their active speakers for example LS60 ? @AOR ? As the LS speakers does not have latency/delay/distance settings as the bass management in an AVR has ?

ban25

You know we want to know. :)
Yep, I should be able to A/B them precisely in-room with REW since they are exactly the same physical dimensions. I'm very curious to see if there's any significant bass extension relative to the KF92 and I will also check distortion graphs (though I have no idea how precise they are in REW).

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm super curious to see the infrasonic performance. My KC62 reaches them, but only very close to it at a level that can be felt. These should push a bit more.

ban25

I'm super curious to see the infrasonic performance. My KC62 reaches them, but only very close to it at a level that can be felt. These should push a bit more.
I'll run REW with Dirac off to make sure we get a good sense of out-of-the-box performance. My KF92 does not generate significant infrasonic output such that I can feel it, but it's probably 5 meters away from my main listening position.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I'll run REW with Dirac off to make sure we get a good sense of out-of-the-box performance. My KF92 does not generate significant infrasonic output such that I can feel it, but it's probably 5 meters away from my main listening position.
That's a lot of space if u can have 5meters

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Perhaps with placement near corners you may get something vibrating but yes, that is coincident with my experience. Five meters is quite a distance.

Top Bottom