• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R7 - Is It Worth It?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
i got the R7's, they deliver much more SPL and much more deep than my R300's, i cannot found too many reviews but the towers seems to be more than i expected, the bass can go very deep and clean

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i got the R7's, they deliver much more SPL and much more deep than my R300's, i cannot found too many reviews but the towers seems to be more than i expected, the bass can go very deep and clean

Definitely, I didn't see your question about the R3 but the entire R series is crossed over at 400hz so the main difference is the bass extension and output. The R7 will be better than the R3 in the distortion department due to having 2 woofers.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Definitely, I didn't see your question about the R3 but the entire R series is crossed over at 400hz so the main difference is the bass extension and output. The R7 will be better than the R3 in the distortion department due to having 2 woofers.
Also the sound have way more weight, these towers r7s sounds more fun to listen to, the dynamics between 120~400hz~ improved too

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Just for fun
i saw the towers R7 can delivery very high spl without distortion, i boosted a little bit up to 20hz for getting flat or something like -+1dB 22hz?, the r7 handle it very well, i push harder for see if the woofer start to cry or something,i didn't detect any distortion at nearly or higher volume than my previous bookshelf can deliver ( r300 ), R7s have an insane bass :)
Passive speakers can reproduce those low-end with EQ too :D

Untitled.png

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Even

Even though they don’t show crosscut of the entire family, I think the whole R line 2018 has the UniQ on a separate chamber and not just an R11 exclusive feature. But then again, I would ask Kef support for a confirmation on this.

Yes, the uniq is in a different chamber, i asked about it
1626774391896.png

1626774340859.png

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it sounded like KEF granted your special request to build a pair of R7's with a closed chamber for the Uni-Q driver. But we knew what you meant.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Yeah, it sounded like KEF granted your special request to build a pair of R7's with a closed chamber for the Uni-Q driver. But we knew what you meant.
xD i corrected the post
Thanks for the correction :) xD

There is more R7 owner's?

This is my first floorstanding speaker and the last, at least for 5 years lol. I don't know how my speaker compare to the others in sound quality... but i like the 3 way coaxial idea hehehe

Kachda

Forum Donor
xD i corrected the post
Thanks for the correction :) xD

There is more R7 owner's?

This is my first floorstanding speaker and the last, at least for 5 years lol. I don't know how my speaker compare to the others in sound quality... but i like the 3 way coaxial idea hehehe
Aww now you killed my joke

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Listen and audition and compare and Measure with REW at Home
I heard Dynaudio C1? Anniversary in a private home , small room,and think they sounded fantastic,I heard Kef R7 and R11 in a very high end shop and they sounded flat and boring, not enjoyable. I got Revel F36 myself , the Dynaudio sounded better than my setup based on memory. Not in the same room, but one day I will compare at home. My ears are 60years and I acannot evaluate the range above 10khs accurately

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Listen and audition and compare and Measure with REW at Home
I heard Dynaudio C1? Anniversary in a private home , small room,and think they sounded fantastic,I heard Kef R7 and R11 in a very high end shop and they sounded flat and boring, not enjoyable. I got Revel F36 myself , the Dynaudio sounded better than my setup based on memory. Not in the same room, but one day I will compare at home. My ears are 60years and I acannot evaluate the range above 10khs accurately
i dont like the idea to audition the speakers in another room, i think that audition gonna be a little bit worthless unless in the shop have a proper acoustic treatment in each room for the speakers and measure them, doesn't gonna give a idea of '' how it sounds like ''
i think the idea of '' comeand listen '' is more situable for headphones

McFly

I've got R5's on the way as I need to replace my R3's with something more stable (non-stand mount). Hope to get some measurements done when they arrive. What's interesting about the 175mm wide R5's is KEF's published measurements seem to suggest an even narrower beam-width than the 200mm baffle width'd R3, R7 and R11. Be interesting to see.

I prefer narrower projecting speakers due to listening to more modern electronic, studio/computer based music. Which is why I loved the R3's. They sort of remove the room. I do much prefer other wider sounding speakers with older music however, but I dont listen to much of that anyway.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I've got R5's on the way as I need to replace my R3's with something more stable (non-stand mount). Hope to get some measurements done when they arrive. What's interesting about the 175mm wide R5's is KEF's published measurements seem to suggest an even narrower beam-width than the 200mm baffle width'd R3, R7 and R11. Be interesting to see.

I prefer narrower projecting speakers due to listening to more modern electronic, studio/computer based music. Which is why I loved the R3's. They sort of remove the room. I do much prefer other wider sounding speakers with older music however, but I dont listen to much of that anyway.
im curious about the bass performance of R5 VS R3

chang

Digging up an old post... how was your experience going to the 5's?

capslock

Can someone please tell me the tweeter height of the R5 and R7?

Also, I am curious, is the shadow flare of the R7 wider than for the R5?

Top Bottom