• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linn releases new highend loudspeaker, klimax 360

ozlegend

Audio Company
Nice to have you on this forum - I loved the sound of active Keltiks and also had active Kabers. I follow your speaker constructions at Legend acoustics with big interest. It seems that an active 4 way speaker is the way to go, without big compromises ?
Yes 4-way digital active is the way to go. I did it over 10 years ago with Legend's Tikandi Grande loudspeaker that has many similarities with the Linn 360 though I used a triangular front baffle rather than large radii to minimise edge effects

ozlegend

Audio Company
Rounded edges are always better, or does it depend on the speaker design? Or maybe it's not very necessary?
Rounded edges are always better but they have to be quite large (much more than the normal 10 or so mm radius) to have much effect. Essentially waves only see/are affected by objects larger than about a fifth of their wavelength (a very rough rule of thumb),

ozlegend

Audio Company
So it was you who subjekted us to aktiv Kelitiks was it? ooooh the stories I could tell :D
Yes the Keltik was a somewhat controversial speaker at least partly because it required good understanding and setting up to achieve its best results. As one person said it was too far ahead of its time. I have heard recently that some people have been upgrading it to the "Killer Keltik" with digitally aktive xovers etc.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
Here is a long interview with Phil Budd :

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Are there any measurements couldn’t see any on the Kinn site when I last looked?
Stereophile have looked at a few, all a little cheaper than £87k though.
Keith

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
Are there any measurements couldn’t see any on the Linn site when I last looked?
Stereophile have looked at a few, all a little cheaper than £87k though.
It seems that the new Klimax 360 has much better image and dispersion pattern than the former K array models.
At least thats the conclusion the reviewer make in the end of the video above :)

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Apart from our own @SIY I am firmly in the ‘can’t trust reviewers as far as I can throw them’ camp.
Keith

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In my own DIY efforts I had huge success with simply copying the Grimm LS1 idea of using very wide baffle with basically semi cylinders attached on sides achieving huge radius, since I tried this its now my reference baffle design, simple yet extremely effective

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Apart from our own @SIY I am firmly in the ‘can’t trust reviewers as far as I can throw them’ camp.
Keith
I think @Kal Rubinson does excellent work. I'm just amazed that he can bite his tongue around some of his fellow contributors.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I think @Kal Rubinson does excellent work. I'm just amazed that he can bite his tongue around some of his fellow contributors.
You are right he does, it can’t be easy.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You are a saint Kal, I know I would not be able to reconcile, I am more Mandalorian ‘I have spoken it is the way’, don’t know if you have watched the Mandalorian complete nonsense but I quite like it, wearing a helmet all the time must be a bit of a pain.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You can still eat and blow your nose wearing headphones.( I don’t like headphones either, alright in a noisy factory but that’s about it)

Keith

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
Linn klimax 360 uses metal cones in the subwoofers, and a beryllium tweeter. Very interesting also to hear Phil Budd talking about the way the internal amplifiers are controlled, by a FPGA.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you'd be surprised how "collegial" we are despite our differences.
I would be way more surprised if something as irrelevant in the grand scheme of things as audio equipment would interfere much with good relations

Top Bottom