• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for Bluetooth Earbuds for daily use.

Bilskirnir3124

Hello, I'm looking for a replacement pair of bluetooth earbuds. I previously had a set of Cambridge Audio Melomainia Touch earbuds. They're no longer reliably charging from their case unfortunately.

I'm looking for a replacement in a budget of up to $200 US. I'm looking for something with a good, flat frequency response. I'm no fan of scooped mids or massive base boosts. I'd also like something with the ability to use either the left or the right earbud independently while the other is charging. I'll be using them while I'm at work to listen to music, audiobooks, or podcasts. Having a decent microphone in each earbud would be good too in case I need to take a call while driving or something. I will also be using them outside and while exercising so some water resistance would be great.

I'll be using them with an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus) so them being able to use some of the better Android codices would be good.

Thank you for the help.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The mics aren't great, there are no advanced codecs like LDAC but there is Samsung propetry one which works only with their phones. On the bright side they are down to 115$ and probably can be found even cheaper than that.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Take a look at Crinacle's list: https://crinacle.com/guide/tws/ he has measured, reviewed and ranked thousands of IEMs and headphones: https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/.

He also has a YouTube channel with some wireless earbud reviews: https://www.youtube.com/c/crincl/videos

You can also get adapters, that will allow you to use your favourite wired IEMs with bluetooth:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like my Samsung Galaxy Buds Pros, they sound excellent. However, they do not stay in my ears as well as the older Galaxy Buds or Buds+ (there is no 'wing' to help them stay in). I had to resort to buying some fairly expensive aftermarket tips to make them useable for me. I'd still recommend them though.

The Samsung Galaxy Buds2 are also worth a look. IIRC, they don't have as good noise cancelling as the Pros, but they have a smaller body and are comfortable to wear (according to my wife).

Samsung often have rebates for their products. I paid £250 for the Pros and the Buds2 in December 2021, but got a £140 rebate from Samsung - so £110 for both IEMs (you'll often see them being sold BNIB on eBay for this reason).

OP
Bilskirnir3124

Bilskirnir3124

Thanks for the advice guys. I've taken a look at some reviews and taken into account your recommendations. I think I'm going to go with the Samsung Galaxy Buds 2. I don't really care too much about ANC, and I'm more interested in the controlled base and treble response than I am really powerful base to begin with. I listen to a lot of extreme metal so having tight, controlled response and good mids is most important to me as far as frequency response goes. I'm also quite happy to hear that the Buds 2 tame the treble of the Buds Pro. I find wild treble to be very fatiguing to listen to. Hopefully I can add an endorsement of these earbuds.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Buds 2 have better mics, trable is far worse and bass has a roll of (no sub bass). Pro 2 are also a downgrade regarding drivers but better mics and cetera and with current price hard to recommend. As it is first gen Pro with "clear" EQ preset are only real nice surprise Samsung ever had if you ask me.
I can't guarantee anyone anything about fit when it comes to IEM's, I my self use earbuds which is entirely different design/type.
I don't mean that Buds 2 are bad but to my logic Buds Pro first gen are simply better.
Best regards and have a nice time.

Top Bottom