• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for news source/app that does not follow my preference just general news

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using for some years Google News an starting to get depressed. What is offerd is mostly based on my click habbit probably:facepalm:. Im looking for a news source just covering general news not specificly based on my specific taste.
For indepth News an back ground i have a Dutch Quality (so they say) newspaper NRC digital version but it is limited. Point is i am reading news an also listening to podcast covering my interest. If that has to do with hobbys or specific (product) info i need thats fine. But if it has to do with let say worldwide news it's build these days around negative news such you start to avoid that. An i even did not mentioning AI.
Is there a news source/app that brings you uncoulerd news. Probably a myth. For now i get rid of my Google News source/app lets see how addicted it is/was. What are u using.for (uncoulerd) news.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Not sure if you realise... that is a subsidiary of News Corp. America, basically Murdoch rags. ;)

Our national broadcaster and news provider is the ABC, Govt. funded but completely independent.

I'd be looking at The Guardian though for international news;

Guardian Media Group is a global news organisation that delivers fearless, investigative journalism - giving a voice to the powerless and holding power to account.

Our independent ownership structure means we are entirely free from political and commercial influence. Only our values determine the stories we choose to cover – relentlessly and courageously.
Maybe AP;

JSmith

radix

Major Contributor
Many (most?) new sites try to drive engagement, so they will tailor your content. Hard to get around, especially if you want news aggregators.

I figure somewhere between Democracy Now! and NPR (in the US) and NYT (again US), there's decent coverage of less corporate-driven news.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Feedly on Windows and Android. You can pick your sources and see feeds from all those sites for news. Google News has too many paid ads polluting the results.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
+1 on using RSS and Wire news services (I also use Feedly). There is NO algorithm. You just get news articles in the order they come out. It's fascinating to see how biased news is on click-driven news services.

Warning - it makes news more boring because there's less sensationalism!

You will need RSS feeds from neutral wires sources such as Reuters, AFP, Euronews. I also subscribe to relatively neutral RSS sources such as The BBC. Then for every left-leaning newspaper source (e.g. The Guardian), I add a right-leaning newspaper source (e.g. mailonline). I add international (to me) news sources such as Indian, African, US and Australian newspapers. This last thing is a huge shock, since it shows up how narrow national news is.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if you realise... that is a subsidiary of News Corp. America, basically Murdoch rags. ;)

Our national broadcaster and news provider is the ABC, Govt. funded but completely independent.

I'd be looking at The Guardian though for international news;

Maybe AP;

JSmith
Following now The guardian European news looks interesting

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will have look. ;)
I use Feedly on Windows and Android. You can pick your sources and see feeds from all those sites for news. Google News has too many paid ads polluting the results.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What i found on the Guardian about my daily cup of coffee a interesting story about Ethiopia can't comply because of European Deforestation-free Products rulings. An a Amy Winehouse story. https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...s-back-to-black-reveal-the-real-amy-winehouse

Even an

Last edited:
Top Bottom