• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lossless radio?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Or rather how good sound quality can be found on internal radio stations nowadays? Best sound quality is ...?

Feel free to share and suggest some stations you like (genre does not matter).

I listen to this station sometimes, nice Jazz::p

shot_2021-10-09_11-51-56.png

https://somehowjazz.com/

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I'd rather listen to my favorite radio stations, whatever sound quality they broadcast, than choose a radio based on lossless considerations!
I'm not really picky about sound quality on the radio either, but considering that there are so many radio stations available now, it would have been fun to find a new, or new favorite channels that have both good music and sound quality (how good can it now be ):D

I have in my bedroom an old analog vintage tuner. I do not listen to it and then I care about the sound quality. Mostly for the sake of the analog vintage feel then.:)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

Attachments

• IMG_20211009_141917_copy_800x600.jpg
    IMG_20211009_141917_copy_800x600.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Real radio was never a hi-fi medium, in the same sense as competing sources were hi-fi--> i.e., records and open reel tape. Also, prior to the advent of digits, radio programs (unless they were 'live') were mostly sourced from records, or open reel tape dubs of records. Records likely played with a Stanton 500 series cartridge. Think about that.

Unless you lived relatively close to the tower, reception and its resultant sonic vagaries were always an issue. For best S/N, and definitely for stereo, you needed an outdoor antenna, preferably one with a motorized rotor (if you were lucky enough to have several stations worth listening to).

Selectivity, multipath, weather conditions, and so forth made consistent quality reception questionable. Early SOA domestic oriented tuners were through the roof expensive. The Marantz 10 was rumored to have bankrupted the company. A McIntosh MR-78 sold for well over ten thousand of today's inflato dollars.

So, no matter how deficient Internet radio might be, from an overall quality and cost/performance ratio, it's miles ahead of broadcast--at least for most folks, and certainly from an historical standpoint.

skunkybiker

Forum Donor
Or rather how good sound quality can be found on internal radio stations nowadays? Best sound quality is ...?

Feel free to share and suggest some stations you like (genre does not matter).

I listen to this station sometimes, nice Jazz::p

View attachment 158099

https://somehowjazz.com/
So I'm listening to somehowjazz.com -- the music and quality is great. What I can't figure out yet is how they are funding it. At some point am I going to hear a commercial?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speaking of sound quality and radio. One who works as a sound engineer,Ogjort, at Swedish Radio (SR) said this:

Ogjort: However, when listening afterwards (especially after 30 days), the problems begin.

Technical info from SR:
When listening to audio clips and programs afterwards, you can also select quality. The format is then AAC and the qualities are 32, 96 and 192 kbps respectively.

For podcasts, ie programs that can be downloaded permanently (for example, sections without music), the quality is always 128 kbps, so the choice is low (a little), medium (moderate) or high (a lot) does not matter. "

------
Ogjort:
That is: very much from SR is delivered as Mp3 (not AAC) in only 128 kbps
Despite the fact that we are many employees who have fought for a long time for a change.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
So, no matter how deficient Internet radio might be, from an overall quality and cost/performance ratio, it's miles ahead of broadcast--at least for most folks, and certainly from an historical standpoint.
There is hardly anyone who listens to broadcast radio with, for example, an old vintage analog tuner and thinks they get some superb sound quality (or even decent sound). I guess it's more for well I do not know maybe to take part in the old school, radio history.

BTW. Be sure to check if there is any audio radio museum near you where you live. Can be an interesting visit.. :)

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Klasu Pro has a lossless stream. Roon finds the highest quality stream when you select internet radio, which is nice.

David Harper

I listen to the RP flac stream a lot. Good music, no commercials, and good sq. And I hear a lot of good music that I wouldn't otherwise know existed. I've bought some CD's after hearing a song for the first time on RP. I'll be on my laptop doing something with RP playing in the living room and I stop what I'm doing because a song I never heard before is so good I can't believe it.
I receive the RP flac stream using an Amazon firestick, going to the internet browser app on it and typing in the URL https://stream.radioparadise.com/flac

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I think you're on the right track, David Harper.:)

The absolute best thing about internet radio is all the tips you get. Gives a lot of inspiration to later botanize further artist, group, song you heard on Spotify, Tital. Qobuz or whatever you now use for streaming provider. Superb.:p:D

Yasuo

To me it's more about the ads than the quality when it comes to radio.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I missed those threads! Thanks for the tip.:)

It's ok if the moderator deletes this thread, considering that there are already others active now.:)
The focus of this thread on “Lossless Radio” is different enough from the other “Internet Radio” to justify your separate thread. ;)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
The focus of this thread on “Lossless Radio” is different enough from the other “Internet Radio” to justify your separate thread. ;)
Good,

The thread tracked, certainly in a nice way, fairly immediately to be about the worst radio sound (yes I know I was part of the derailment). Old analog vintage Tuners in another thread. :)

On the horse again. On the right track.

Edit:
By the way, there is no section on this forum that is named: Vintage

Maybe it would be something? En section dedicated to discussion about vintage, stories from times gone by, maybe so you can call for different spare parts and so on.There are also many who both combine the latest of the latest in HiFi with an interest in Vintage. I see nothing strange about that. On the contrary, fun.:)

The interest in vintage is here, see here:

Last edited:
Top Bottom