• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D40 Pro DAC & HP Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 200 80.3%

• Total voters

ivanyi

Thanks for the info. I have to say that my own experience differs from yours (that's not to say it is exhaustive or definitive). But I have used all versions of USB since they were invented and I have encountered any of the issues you mentioned. The only problem I've ever seen is if I mistakenly connected a device that required USB 3.0 using USB 2.0. I did try a single cable from a USB 2.0 port on the front panel of my computer, with no luck. And none of these are what I would consider a long run. None of these are longer than four feet.

I also note that the update app says "Disconnect" (sic) in the lower left corner, in red, right from the outset and that never changes. Furthermore, the Exit menu command doesn't work. I have to click the X on the upper right of the UI to close it. So, I have to wonder if this whole problem is a software issue.
this my upgrade step,hope will helpful

ejr

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into documenting this. I'm sure it may be of help to someone. Unfortunately, it is not working for me. It always fails at exactly the same step. It just never connects when I press the connect button. The only thing different I am seeing is that, when I try it, it automatically sets the baud rate to a hire value than you are using. I tried setting it to the rate you reccomended, but it had no effect. It still fails to connect.

Karma905

I recently completed the firmware update. But when I went to turn the unit back on it would no longer power on. I doubt I will get any response back Loxjie or the seller. Any suggestions as to how to remedy the situation? Obviously, I'm desperate. Thanks.

ejr

So sorry to hear about your difficulties with this. I thought I fried mine, serveral times, when I tried to update the firmware. I had to repeatedly turn the unit on and off to get it to work. I always used the power button on the back of the device for this, never the small button on the front. Could that be the issue?

I've stopped trying to upgrade mine and, glowing reviews notwithstanding, I don't think I'll be purchasing any more items from this company. I mean, seriously, not being able to do a simple firmware update raises troubling questions. And no tech support whatsoever, so you can't even contact anyone if you have an issue with it? Frankly, that sounds more like a pirated IP than a legit product. I'd be interested to learn more about the allegations that they ripped off the technology from another manufacturer. If that's the case, I'd rather do business with the company they allegedly stole it from.

iscorpio71

SMSL(big sis company of loxjie) just release there DO400 for 499$, which looks like the same thing as d40 pro, but have 2 more opamp 1612 for IV stage(9 to 11), different and heavier case, better screen, preamp mode and sound color function, other wise they are the same. My d40 pro is going to arrive, but IDK should I sell it and get the DO400 for ~100$ more
Hello, reading and looking into buying a headphone AMP/DAC. Going crazy with so many options... guess you have to stick to your guns after making the decision. I just don't want to pay for MQA. Was looking also at the D0300EX that also has USB C with AKM DACs and runs cheaper...

Last edited:

pundel

personally, I bought a do400 for how much functionality is more simple and clearer I hope with the sound there as well as in loxjie and in my case, I bought it for 386 at a discount on ali and there was no discount on Loxjie

iscorpio71

Great price, can you please share the link.

Njoy

Edited: went looking for the DO300EX, aldough not much information, nor reviews are out, my guess its going to be one of the best AKM implementation so... grabbed it for 436$. Now the waiting starts ;)

Last edited:

David_M

personally, I bought a do400 for how much functionality is more simple and clearer I hope with the sound there as well as in loxjie and in my case, I bought it for 386 at a discount on ali and there was no discount on Loxjie
How does it sound compared to other high end dacs?

pundel

Great price, can you please share the link.

Njoy

Edited: went looking for the DO300EX, aldough not much information, nor reviews are out, my guess its going to be one of the best AKM implementation so... grabbed it for 436$. Now the waiting starts ;)
How does it sound compared to other high end dacs?
here is a link to the discussion https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-decoder-headphone-amplifier.47766/page-3 since the do400 is a copy of the d40pro. I bought it on aliexpress using coupons on sale every month on different dates I just added a review on the do400 page why I think it's better

iscorpio71

Pipes

Hi I'm a long time lurker but new poster..I'm interested in the Loxjie d40 Pro...my plan would be to connect two sets of powered monitor speakers (bal and unbal) for studio listening and mixing...i don't think this has been talked about in this thread yet..would i be able to control the volume of the speakers from the Loxjie and additionally would this work with both sets of speakers independently?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.....I'm interested in the Loxjie d40 Pro...my plan would be to connect two sets of powered monitor speakers (bal and unbal) for studio listening and mixing...would i be able to control the volume of the speakers from the Loxjie and additionally would this work with both sets of speakers independently?
Hi, I do not own a D40 Pro, so others can chime in if I am mistaken, but the D40 Pro owners manual says you can select either the Balanced (XLR) or Unbalanced (RCA) outputs, but not both at the same time.

So you could not drive both monitor pairs simultaneously the way you describe. Some other DACS (like the Sabaj A20d 2022,2023) do allow you to output both balanced and unbalanced simultaneously, or select one or the other. I think quite a few DACs work this way.

There is just a single volume control for all outputs, so no independent volume control when playing both pair. Adjusting the volume level of your powered monitors would let you at least balance them.

Pipes

Hi, I do not own a D40 Pro, so others can chime in if I am mistaken, but the D40 Pro owners manual says you can select either the Balanced (XLR) or Unbalanced (RCA) outputs, but not both at the same time.

So you could not drive both monitor pairs simultaneously the way you describe. Some other DACS (like the Sabaj A20d 2022,2023) do allow you to output both balanced and unbalanced simultaneously, or select one or the other. I think quite a few DACs work this way.

There is just a single volume control for all outputs, so no independent volume control when playing both pair. Adjusting the volume level of your powered monitors would let you at least balance them.
Brilliant thankyou G, my head was getting a bit full and i was worried that i wouldn't have any control over volume to the speakers from the loxjie at all and it would only output to both sets at once, i was after some clarity and your outlining these details meets that need.

atomic garden

I have a D40 (non-pro) and it allows you to output both balanced and unbalanced simultaneously, or select one or the other. I use RCA for a powered subwoofer and XLR for for a stereo amp simultaneously.

I just compared the user manual of D40 and D40 pro. They are the same on this section (page 19) regarding output options:

1700057111310.png

But on my D40 there is an option called "LIN" that is not on the manual, and is what I 've been using. This allows RCA+XLR.

My guess is that D40 pro works the same way.

Miiman

Hit the order button just now. I went with Amazon in case of trouble. Only 12% BF discount but better than nothing.
Hifi Express is cheaper but seems not very good in case i need to return it. Amazon feels like the safer bet.

Upgrading from Topping DX3 Pro+. I dont expect a huge difference but hopefully it will make my HD800S sound even better. Now i only need to muster up the courage to pull out the dreaded headphone jacks to attach the balanced cable. Seen ppl ruin the headphones ripping em out, jikes..

From what i have read here i should not attempt to do a FW upgrade on the unit? Risky? What do i miss by not upgrading?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone have the latest driver?
I cant connect to Loxije site.
The site seems to be temporarily down. The Loxjie Downloads URL (http://loxjie-audio.com/download.asp) is also down, but the Wayback machine to that link shows a google drive link to the driver which is accessible. Easiest may be just to wait a bit for the site to return.

Miiman

The site seems to be temporarily down. The Loxjie Downloads URL (http://loxjie-audio.com/download.asp) is also down, but the Wayback machine to that link shows a google drive link to the driver which is accessible. Easiest may be just to wait a bit for the site to return.
Thanks for taking the time. I noticed that the driver name seems to correlate to some standard XMOS USB Audio driver?

I remembered that the SMSL DO400 is basicly the same hardware so i went to their site and they have the XMOS_USBAudio_v5.58.0_2023-05-25_setup

XMOS versions history.

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can certainly try any Xmos driver. In most cases manufacturers will tweak them to be brand specific.

Miiman

You can certainly try any Xmos driver. In most cases manufacturers will tweak them to be brand specific.
When i entered Loxjie into a "websitedown checker" it said it had been down for more than a week. Dont know if thats true but i did find an older driver on another site under "Download".
It has to do until Loxjie works again.

*Wow this amp is crazy powerfull compared to my Topping DX3 Pro+. First impressions are it sounds fuller/richer and more dynamic. That was one complaint i had about the DX3 Pro+, it sounded clean but on the lean/thin side. Details and soundstage sounds improved also. So far very happy with the upgrade despite their site not working...

Last edited:
Top Bottom